Some tips to help you get on those competitive 1982 leaderboards…
- Getting and keeping a high score multiplier is key to getting high scores. Increasing the multiplier is simply a case of destroying lots of enemies quickly. (See the left-hand bar on the HUD)
- When a certain number of enemies reach the ground a Man will be abducted by a yellow saucer. The saucer takes x3 from your multiplier. Kill the saucer and allow Man to fall safely to Earth and he will return your x3 multiplier. Be careful though as Man is vulnerable to friendly fire and if you accidentally hit him before he reaches the ground you will lose that x3 multiplier that he was carrying.
- The saucers that carry the power-ups are created after killing a number of enemies. Concentrate on killing a number of the smaller, weaker ones, triggering a power-up saucer to appear, making the bigger enemies easier to deal with.
- Later in the game it is often wise not to kill a saucer as soon as it appears ,instead wait until a tough enemy appears on screen and kill the saucer, releasing the power-up when it is most needed.
- While it might be tempting to always collect an energy power-up (green) a carefully timed explosion is a great way to fill your ‘kill gauge’ quickly and increase your multiplier. When score chasing it’s a risk you might want to take.
- Destroying a laser power-up (red) and creating a laser turret is a brilliant way of dealing with asteroids, but a horizontal laser barrier is a guaranteed way to kill any Man falling from a saucer, potentially losing some of your score multiplier.
- Rocket power-ups (purple) are the most destructive so take out awkward targets like white blockers and major enemies like the giant invaders, tanks etc. while you have them. The firing pattern of a remote rocket turret is unpredictable and therefore another threat to any attempted Man (and multiplier) rescue.
- Finally the shield power-up (cyan) can be as offensive as it is defensive. Use it to ram enemies to prevent them from landing. Also don’t ignore the usefulness of the portal created by destroying this powerup that sucks in all enemy bullets. When faced with a screen full of mushroom bombs it’s better to quickly clear them than take an inevitable hit while waiting for the power-up to fall.
- Collecting coins obviously increases your score, but catching a coin doubles its value. Every point helps!
- Finally, in Time Attack mode you have unlimited energy, but getting hit by an enemy reduces your score multiplier so should be avoided at all costs.
Man thanks you for your efforts