binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 05:33:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30168 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  The PC Thread (Games, Viruses, BSOD etc).....................
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The PC Thread (Games, Viruses, BSOD etc).....................  (Read 103487 times)
EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

tomassetti13@hotmail.com folkefiendar
View Profile Email
« on: August 10, 2008, 11:56:56 PM »

Apparently changing the title or making this a sticky deleted Eric's post  Tongue

But that's PC's for you I guess  Grin

Well it was probably bollox anyway, but, um, sorry Wink

fog

PS... I came out of the closet today. My games, for the PC, will now reflect this, with you know... Rainbows, and giant penis EVERYWHERE. 

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 12:18:12 AM by f0g » Logged

My Achievements Earned:

Sit on my ass and do nothing for 2 hours - CHECK
Stare at a computer screen for more than an hour - CHECK
Ignore those around me for more than 10 hours - CHECK
Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 09:58:03 AM »

And finally, Space Siege next week... the demo had... Problems. Things were choppy (animation wise), gameplay wasn't completely clear, other problems relating to mechanics (one of the points of the game they were pushing was the choice to become a machine, or stay completely human, and in the demo at the part where you get a cybernetic arm, it pretty much insists that you install this arm, removing part of your humanity). The game itself has a lot of potential, though, I'm hoping it doesn't get wasted due to small design flaws that someone like Chris Taylor should have been on the ball with.
Well I thought it was utter crap. but that's just my opinion. For starters, it looked like a turd and ran slower than a snail for no apparent reason. When I did get it running well it only looked worse... but moving on, the gameplay was quite dull in my opinion. I'd rather fire up Titan's Quest (the game I've been playing lately) or even the old Dungeon Siege simply because at least in those games the core gameplay works. I was sort of wishing for a wasd + mouse combo and a tad more arcade-ish gameplay given that it is a shooter, but instead they must've designed it as one-button game as you use the same controls for moving AND shooting. Oh and the menus made me think that I was playing a game from 1997 ...on a console. (it is a Sega game after all)

Mirror's Edge is indeed something worth waiting for, but I'm not sure yet which control method will be the best. Not to worry, as the xbox 360 wired controller works fine with pc so if mouse & keyb turn out to be bad, then I'll just switch to using that. It's an FPS game so right away I would say that the mouse makes for a quite more pleasent run but then again it has all sorts of other controls...
In the end, it's a DICE game and BF: Bad Company gave me enough confidence that they're going to pull this off as well.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 11:19:59 AM »

Mirror's Edge is indeed something worth waiting for, but I'm not sure yet which control method will be the best. Not to worry, as the xbox 360 wired controller works fine with pc so if mouse & keyb turn out to be bad, then I'll just switch to using that. It's an FPS game so right away I would say that the mouse makes for a quite more pleasent run but then again it has all sorts of other controls...
In the end, it's a DICE game and BF: Bad Company gave me enough confidence that they're going to pull this off as well.
Yeah Mirror's Edge does look potentially superb.  Watching the amazing looking demo videos I do have my concerns though, the main one being that it looks incredibly linear.  I appreciate that it's not going to be the open sandbox environment of Crackdown, but some freedom will be nice.  And the feeling that it could all be a bit linear is only heightened by the way everything you can interact with is coloured red.  Sure it looks nice, but if they have to highlight the things you can grab, where you should jump etc. then does that not raise concerns that your interaction with the environment might not be consistent and predictable?

And as the nature of the game is to encourage you to traverse these levels as quickly as possible, I hope there are plenty of them otherwise the whole thing could be over very very quickly.  Hopefully I'm wrong on all points.

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 11:53:45 AM »

And finally, Space Siege next week... the demo had... Problems. Things were choppy (animation wise), gameplay wasn't completely clear, other problems relating to mechanics (one of the points of the game they were pushing was the choice to become a machine, or stay completely human, and in the demo at the part where you get a cybernetic arm, it pretty much insists that you install this arm, removing part of your humanity). The game itself has a lot of potential, though, I'm hoping it doesn't get wasted due to small design flaws that someone like Chris Taylor should have been on the ball with.
Well I thought it was utter crap. but that's just my opinion. For starters, it looked like a turd and ran slower than a snail for no apparent reason. When I did get it running well it only looked worse... but moving on, the gameplay was quite dull in my opinion. I'd rather fire up Titan's Quest (the game I've been playing lately) or even the old Dungeon Siege simply because at least in those games the core gameplay works. I was sort of wishing for a wasd + mouse combo and a tad more arcade-ish gameplay given that it is a shooter, but instead they must've designed it as one-button game as you use the same controls for moving AND shooting. Oh and the menus made me think that I was playing a game from 1997 ...on a console. (it is a Sega game after all)

Heh, it seems I'm still the only person in the world with some hope for Space Siege. It actually didn't run bad on the setup I was running it on, which I was VERY surprised since this is my older set up (7600gt 256mb, 2gb ram, amd 4600 x2, with vista ultimate). Haven't had the chance to run it on the good setup since it's been busy with some studio related stuff lately and I don't want to screw it up. Gameplay wise, there were problems, I'll admit that (the biggest flaw being the way the camera was dealt with, it was hard to tell where enemy fire was coming from, and it was a pain in the ass sometimes to get the right angle to attack the enemies), and yes, definitely some really choppy animations. There was something wrong in that dept. Of course, any logical developer would be taking a look at the feedback from the demo (one of the reasons I assume they released the demo in the first place) and fixing the problems that were reported with a release day patch. Then again... we're talking about developers.

I really need to play more of Titan Quest. I bought it on steam (I really used to hate steam, but the last year with it has been grand. I can get pretty much any game I need for the PC quick and decently priced), but definitely haven't given it the hours it deserves. 

I'm almost certain the mouse and keyboard is going to be the way to go in this game. Just the look of it screams mouse and keyboard to me. Hopefully I won't have to buy it twice if my assumption is wrong (which I expect it not to be). The game is absolutely amazing looking and the way they've described the gameplay so far is something I've been waiting for. A game with legitimate choices as to how to go about a situation. When's the last time we REALLY got that in an FPS, Deus Ex? System Shock 2?

Yeah Mirror's Edge does look potentially superb.  Watching the amazing looking demo videos I do have my concerns though, the main one being that it looks incredibly linear.  I appreciate that it's not going to be the open sandbox environment of Crackdown, but some freedom will be nice.  And the feeling that it could all be a bit linear is only heightened by the way everything you can interact with is coloured red.  Sure it looks nice, but if they have to highlight the things you can grab, where you should jump etc. then does that not raise concerns that your interaction with the environment might not be consistent and predictable?

And as the nature of the game is to encourage you to traverse these levels as quickly as possible, I hope there are plenty of them otherwise the whole thing could be over very very quickly.  Hopefully I'm wrong on all points.

Linear, maybe... but the sort of linear it seems that you can go about the linearity in different ways. Rarely seen in games lately... for example, bioshock, as good as it was, had a problem in which no matter which way you looked at a section, you were going to be doing it essentially the same way every time you play through. Of course, they're going to fix this for the PS3 version only with the new gameplay mode, where things deal a lot of damage, there are a lot more enemies, and ammo isn't EVERYWHERE, forcing you to have to devise plans as to how to get through the section alive. I hope a PC patch comes out with that option, because that is the way it should have been played out in the first place.

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 04:19:02 PM »

Linear, maybe... but the sort of linear it seems that you can go about the linearity in different ways.
oh yeah, most games need a linear ultimate goal of some description but you can introduce choice and none linear sections along the way.  With Mirrors Edge that ultimate goal looks like being some destination that you must reach in each level in order to progress, and while it could easily have branching routes along the way, they aren't apparent from any of the videos I've seen.

Incidentally does anyone know how much skill is required to pull off the free running?  Assassins Creed looks fantastic in motion and while I still enjoyed it, pretty much all of the skill was taken out of the players hands and most things were automated.  I hope ME requires at least a modicum of skill, as pulling off the free running moves could be hugely satisfying and rewarding in itself regardless of the rest of the game.

EDIT:
Oh and thanks for editing the opening post again  Grin

las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 06:09:56 PM »

Heh, it seems I'm still the only person in the world with some hope for Space Siege. It actually didn't run bad on the setup I was running it on, which I was VERY surprised since this is my older set up (7600gt 256mb, 2gb ram, amd 4600 x2, with vista ultimate). Haven't had the chance to run it on the good setup since it's been busy with some studio related stuff lately and I don't want to screw it up.
Funny, I was running it on (7900 GS 512, 6gb, E6400 @ 2.55 GHz) and it was sluggish as hell for no apparent reason.

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 12:19:12 AM »

Whatever do you mean?!  Tongue

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 12:36:38 PM »

Whatever do you mean?!  Tongue
Good god man, I can't believe you went to that much trouble  Grin

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 08:44:53 AM »

So, I've been playing Space Siege. There are A LOT of problems still. The matter of the mouse being used for both the movement and combat in this type of game, complete and utter failure. The animations are much better in the final, but another problem arose, samey environments. Every area feels like you were just there 10 minutes ago. Equipments feel useless, and a lot of times I have no will to bother upgrading my equipment at all, since it feels as if I'm using the same shit I was using before.

Sadly, this will be one of those games where I'll say: There is a good game here, but the designers made a few too many bad choices to show it off. Some obvious flaws that someone like Chris Taylor should not be making. I also am curious as to if any of the QA people were consulted on control issues, such as forced hotkeys, not being able to click on ability to use it, the mouse movement/combat, and obviously the samey feeling enviroments... I have a feeling they were told "search for bugs, don't comment on anything else".

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 10:36:19 AM »

I also am curious as to if any of the QA people were consulted on control issues, such as forced hotkeys, not being able to click on ability to use it, the mouse movement/combat, and obviously the samey feeling enviroments... I have a feeling they were told "search for bugs, don't comment on anything else".
I get the impression a lot of playtesting teams are told to comment on bugs now and nothing else.  Like you say, it's the only way some of the terrible design decisions that ruin games could ever get past them.  And of course that's much more likely when you have a "personality" leading game design whether that's at a big dev house or a small indi team (see Eternity's Child).

Remember that when you guys do some playtesting around here Wink

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 10:43:54 AM »

I don't sleep with sailors... Sad

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, my brother is a sailor... and I slept in his house on the couch once. Actually, there were 2 more sailors in the house. And I woke up with a carrot sticking out of my ass.

KILL ME!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 10:45:34 AM by EricT » Logged

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 10:51:44 AM »

I don't sleep with sailors... Sad

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, my brother is a sailor... and I slept in his house on the couch once. Actually, there were 2 more sailors in the house. And I woke up with a carrot sticking out of my ass.

KILL ME!
Too much information  Grin

Just getting my revenge for your skillful editing of the OP. Wink

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 10:53:33 AM »

Revenge duly-noted. 

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 05:21:45 PM »

Anyone know of a decent modern golf game on the PC with a course editor?  There were a few back in the days of the Amiga and I spent more time designing courses than playing them, but I can't see anything decent on the PC from the last couple of years.

Mikey
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

Hybrid Two

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 06:50:34 PM »

Talking about PC's here is a run down of my uber-new computer;

1.30Ghz AMD Processor
 512MB Ram
 10GB Hard drive (because it can't handle my 160GB)
 PCI Bog Standard Creative Sound Card, which can't play music without cracking,
 Windows XP with all the trimmings cut out,
 No USB peripherals except External HD (512GB), and Mouse because PC dies otherwise,
 Can only run 2 programs at once,
 Can't play games, unless its Sim City 2000, which really isn't that great anyway.

I mourn my old pc.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Go Up Print 
Jump to: