binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2018, 03:41:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30167 Posts in 1158 Topics by 194 Members
Latest Member: RobertHedge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  The PC Thread (Games, Viruses, BSOD etc).....................
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The PC Thread (Games, Viruses, BSOD etc).....................  (Read 103338 times)
EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

tomassetti13@hotmail.com folkefiendar
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 07:30:48 PM »

Anyone know of a decent modern golf game on the PC with a course editor?  There were a few back in the days of the Amiga and I spent more time designing courses than playing them, but I can't see anything decent on the PC from the last couple of years.

Tiger Woods Golf 2005 has a course editor I believe.

The last golf game I bought was Links 2001, which had the coolest course editor EVER. I made some absurd stuff with it.

My Achievements Earned:

Sit on my ass and do nothing for 2 hours - CHECK
Stare at a computer screen for more than an hour - CHECK
Ignore those around me for more than 10 hours - CHECK
Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »

Can't play games, unless its Sim City 2000, which really isn't that great anyway.
well, at least you can now design levels for SimCopter!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 06:05:41 PM »

Can't play games, unless its Sim City 2000, which really isn't that great anyway.
As sympathetic as ever  Grin

The last golf game I bought was Links 2001, which had the coolest course editor EVER. I made some absurd stuff with it.
Yeah a modern equivalent of Links is what I'm really after.

The course designer features promoted in Tiger Woods games that I've seen so far aren't really anything of the kind.  They just let you construct your own course by taking your favourite 18 holes from the other existing courses.

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 05:36:25 AM »

As sympathetic as ever  Grin

Yeah a modern equivalent of Links is what I'm really after.

The course designer features promoted in Tiger Woods games that I've seen so far aren't really anything of the kind.  They just let you construct your own course by taking your favourite 18 holes from the other existing courses.

Yeah, they really haven't been on the dot with the course editors anymore. That was definitely the funnest part of golf games. For me, it's pointless to play them anymore, I have season passes to 2 great courses within walking distance.

Anyway, new mirrors edge footage!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38730.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38690.html

On one hand, I am really, truely excited for this game, but on the other hand, watching the HD videos full screen actually made me a little motion sick. Wonder how they'll deal with that...

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 01:00:10 PM »

Yeah that's cretainly looking ace, with slightly more freedom in choice of path in the latest vids I've seen.

On one hand, I am really, truely excited for this game, but on the other hand, watching the HD videos full screen actually made me a little motion sick. Wonder how they'll deal with that...
Watch the developers video on XBLA as that explains everything.  They know motion sickness is a major problem and so there is a permanent dot in the middle of the screen.  Supposedly you focus on this and the problem goes away.  Unfortunately most of the time I couldn't even see the dot lol  Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 11:23:35 AM »

And finally, Space Siege next week... the demo had... Problems. Things were choppy (animation wise), gameplay wasn't completely clear, other problems relating to mechanics (one of the points of the game they were pushing was the choice to become a machine, or stay completely human, and in the demo at the part where you get a cybernetic arm, it pretty much insists that you install this arm, removing part of your humanity). The game itself has a lot of potential, though, I'm hoping it doesn't get wasted due to small design flaws that someone like Chris Taylor should have been on the ball with.
Well I thought it was utter crap. but that's just my opinion. For starters, it looked like a turd and ran slower than a snail for no apparent reason. When I did get it running well it only looked worse... but moving on, the gameplay was quite dull in my opinion. I'd rather fire up Titan's Quest (the game I've been playing lately) or even the old Dungeon Siege simply because at least in those games the core gameplay works. I was sort of wishing for a wasd + mouse combo and a tad more arcade-ish gameplay given that it is a shooter, but instead they must've designed it as one-button game as you use the same controls for moving AND shooting. Oh and the menus made me think that I was playing a game from 1997 ...on a console. (it is a Sega game after all)

Heh, it seems I'm still the only person in the world with some hope for Space Siege. It actually didn't run bad on the setup I was running it on, which I was VERY surprised since this is my older set up (7600gt 256mb, 2gb ram, amd 4600 x2, with vista ultimate). Haven't had the chance to run it on the good setup since it's been busy with some studio related stuff lately and I don't want to screw it up. Gameplay wise, there were problems, I'll admit that (the biggest flaw being the way the camera was dealt with, it was hard to tell where enemy fire was coming from, and it was a pain in the ass sometimes to get the right angle to attack the enemies), and yes, definitely some really choppy animations. There was something wrong in that dept. Of course, any logical developer would be taking a look at the feedback from the demo (one of the reasons I assume they released the demo in the first place) and fixing the problems that were reported with a release day patch. Then again... we're talking about developers.

I really need to play more of Titan Quest. I bought it on steam (I really used to hate steam, but the last year with it has been grand. I can get pretty much any game I need for the PC quick and decently priced), but definitely haven't given it the hours it deserves. 
OK not being up on the latest PC games I didn't know what Space Siege was when you guys were talking about it, but I've just read a review this morning.  It got a crap review, but they mentioned it was by the same team that did Dungeon Siege and I enjoyed that a lot many moons ago.  So is there something similar you'd recommend?

I've just watched a few Youtube vids of Titan Quest and the combat looks like it could be a bit limited.  It's hard to tell though.

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 12:40:17 AM »

And finally, Space Siege next week... the demo had... Problems. Things were choppy (animation wise), gameplay wasn't completely clear, other problems relating to mechanics (one of the points of the game they were pushing was the choice to become a machine, or stay completely human, and in the demo at the part where you get a cybernetic arm, it pretty much insists that you install this arm, removing part of your humanity). The game itself has a lot of potential, though, I'm hoping it doesn't get wasted due to small design flaws that someone like Chris Taylor should have been on the ball with.
Well I thought it was utter crap. but that's just my opinion. For starters, it looked like a turd and ran slower than a snail for no apparent reason. When I did get it running well it only looked worse... but moving on, the gameplay was quite dull in my opinion. I'd rather fire up Titan's Quest (the game I've been playing lately) or even the old Dungeon Siege simply because at least in those games the core gameplay works. I was sort of wishing for a wasd + mouse combo and a tad more arcade-ish gameplay given that it is a shooter, but instead they must've designed it as one-button game as you use the same controls for moving AND shooting. Oh and the menus made me think that I was playing a game from 1997 ...on a console. (it is a Sega game after all)

Heh, it seems I'm still the only person in the world with some hope for Space Siege. It actually didn't run bad on the setup I was running it on, which I was VERY surprised since this is my older set up (7600gt 256mb, 2gb ram, amd 4600 x2, with vista ultimate). Haven't had the chance to run it on the good setup since it's been busy with some studio related stuff lately and I don't want to screw it up. Gameplay wise, there were problems, I'll admit that (the biggest flaw being the way the camera was dealt with, it was hard to tell where enemy fire was coming from, and it was a pain in the ass sometimes to get the right angle to attack the enemies), and yes, definitely some really choppy animations. There was something wrong in that dept. Of course, any logical developer would be taking a look at the feedback from the demo (one of the reasons I assume they released the demo in the first place) and fixing the problems that were reported with a release day patch. Then again... we're talking about developers.

I really need to play more of Titan Quest. I bought it on steam (I really used to hate steam, but the last year with it has been grand. I can get pretty much any game I need for the PC quick and decently priced), but definitely haven't given it the hours it deserves. 
OK not being up on the latest PC games I didn't know what Space Siege was when you guys were talking about it, but I've just read a review this morning.  It got a crap review, but they mentioned it was by the same team that did Dungeon Siege and I enjoyed that a lot many moons ago.  So is there something similar you'd recommend?

I've just watched a few Youtube vids of Titan Quest and the combat looks like it could be a bit limited.  It's hard to tell though.

Titan Quest is the better of the recent Diablo clones to come out... not really much to say, try it out, if ya like it ya like it. That's the fascinating part about the Diablo Clone genre.

I'd also like to take back most of the good I said about Space Siege and agree with a review. The last half of that game was just god awful. There was no challenge at all, the control's became a real burden, and the lack of depth really showed. AWFUL AWFUL game.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:43:21 AM by EricT » Logged

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 01:07:19 PM »

I haven't played a "proper" PC game for bloody ages so I'll try Titan Quest out.

After that, the only game I'm aware of that I'm looking forward to is the next Total War.  Can't get enough of those games.  (oh and possibly Spore now I think about it)

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 04:35:19 PM »

Stardock Announces “The Gamer’s Bill of Rights”
- Indie Developer / Publisher Hopes to Encourage Better Customer Service

Plymouth, MI – August 29, 2008 – Stardock announced today the Gamer’s Bill of Rights: a statement of principles that it hopes will encourage the PC game industry to adopt standards that are more supportive of PC gamers. The document contains 10 specific “rights” that video game enthusiasts can expect from Stardock as an independent developer and publisher that it hopes that other publishers will embrace. The Bill of Rights is featured on Stardock’s website (www.stardock.com) and is on prominent display in Stardock’s booth (1142) at the Penny Arcade Expo.

“As an industry, we need to begin setting some basic, common sense standards that reward PC gamers for purchasing our games,” stated Brad Wardell, president and CEO of Stardock Corporation. “The console market effectively already has something like this in that its games have to go through the platform maker such as Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony. But on the PC, publishers can release games that are scarcely completed, poorly supported, and full of intrusive copy protection and then be stuck on it.”

Chris Taylor, CEO and founder of Gas Powered Games stated, “This is an awesome framework for the industry to aspire to, and ultimately so that we can provide our customers with the gaming experience that they have wanted for years, and really deserve.”

As an example of The Gamer’s Bill of Rights in action, Stardock instituted a policy of allowing users to return copies of The Political Machine purchased at retail to Stardock for a full refund if they found that their PC wasn’t sufficient to run the game adequately.

“The PC market loses out on a lot of sales because a significant percentage of our market has PCs that may or may not be adequate to run our games. Without the ability to return games to the publisher for a refund, many potential buyers simply pass on games they might otherwise have bought due to the risk of not being certain a game will work on their PC. The average consumer doesn’t know what ‘pixel shader 2.0 support’ means, for instance,” said Wardell.

According to Stardock, the objective of the Gamer’s Bill of Rights is to increase the confidence of consumers of the quality of PC games which in turn will lead to more sales and a better gaming experience.

The Gamer’s Bill of Rights:

1) Gamers shall have the right to return games that don’t work with their computers for a full refund.

2) Gamers shall have the right to demand that games be released in a finished state.

3) Gamers shall have the right to expect meaningful updates after a game’s release.

4) Gamers shall have the right to demand that download managers and updaters not force themselves to run or be forced to load in order to play a game.

5) Gamers shall have the right to expect that the minimum requirements for a game will mean that the game will play adequately on that computer.

6) Gamers shall have the right to expect that games won’t install hidden drivers or other potentially harmful software without their consent.

7) Gamers shall have the right to re-download the latest versions of the games they own at any time.

Cool Gamers shall have the right to not be treated as potential criminals by developers or publishers.

9) Gamers shall have the right to demand that a single-player game not force them to be connected to the Internet every time they wish to play.

10) Gamers shall have the right that games which are installed to the hard drive shall not require a CD/DVD to remain in the drive to play.

One more reason that I f**king love stardock! This is essentially everything wrong with the main chunk of the PC industry today. Too bad most PC publishers and dev's won't even think twice about anything in the list.

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 02:58:47 PM »

I agree with every point, but it's kind of disappointing that this is seen as such a great thing when in reality this is the minimum us customers should expect anyway.

With this gen of consoles now having drives I was concerned we would see a repeat of the PC scene where releasing half finished, bugged games was common with developers safe in the knowledge that they could always patch them later.  Thankfully it hasn't been anything like that, which makes the PC situation even more unforgivable.

las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 03:33:21 PM »

4) Gamers shall have the right to demand that download managers and updaters not force themselves to run or be forced to load in order to play a game.
that makes sense for all other games except mmorpg's and online-only games with global servers and such.

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 09:13:09 PM »

that makes sense for all other games except mmorpg's and online-only games with global servers and such.

Well, even then, maybe the user should be allowed the option to deny it to run unless they want it to run? Download caps are a big problem being reinstated now, especially in the US where the ISP's are claiming "The tubes are clogged", so it may be in the best interest of the user to decide when to run the update? 2 major ISP's in the US, are starting up the bandwidth capping crap, granted, they're at 250gb (D/U combined) when it goes into effect in october, but speculation is that they're going to attempt to pull the ol "increase speed but decrease limit" scheme. (I'd like to mention the rising urge for ISP's to do this are concerning me in the matter of the near future of digital distribution. When I thought we were moving towards this being a more accessible and prefered option, some assholes have to come a long and ruin that. Most likely stressed via the RIAA and the MPAA, mind you.

A possible option for the growing bandwidth concerns on the consumers side would be to leave older access servers, or a system of some sort, still available for a few weeks so they can still play the game they're paying for, but not risk paying an extra 15 dollars to their ISP for the 2gb update that made rogue dps on backstab slightly less...

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008, 10:44:31 AM »

We have caps here in Aust, have for years and years. Best deals out here are around 25GB for $70 a month, at ADSL2+ speeds. (24MBits). It sucks.

las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 02:04:25 PM »

not sure if it's any good, but here's what I found:
http://www.customplaygames.com/

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 06:09:28 PM »

I actually tried that earlier. The game was so hilariously awful I wanted to choke myself. Imagine slicing your testicles to the sounds of ABBA. That should give you the gist of the editor system. Imagine smashing a glass into your face while you watch a man dressed up like Mario make love to a pig dressed like Toadstool. That is what the gameplay is like.

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Go Up Print 
Jump to: