binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 12:57:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  TV
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TV  (Read 121275 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
TV
« on: April 04, 2009, 06:55:19 PM »

At last something decent to look forward to.  The second series of Ashes to Ashes is on soon  Kang-a-roo!

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

tomassetti13@hotmail.com folkefiendar
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 06:23:40 PM »

Speaking of Ashes to Ashes... have you watched the ending of the US Life on Mars remake? Horrid ending... spoilers:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is what happens when America gets it's grimy hands on something that was actually good.

My Achievements Earned:

Sit on my ass and do nothing for 2 hours - CHECK
Stare at a computer screen for more than an hour - CHECK
Ignore those around me for more than 10 hours - CHECK
Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 06:48:33 PM »

Speaking of Ashes to Ashes... have you watched the ending of the US Life on Mars remake? Horrid ending... spoilers:

This is what happens when America gets it's grimy hands on something that was actually good.
I haven't watched any of the US ones at all.  I've seen too many poor remakes of shows I like to bother with any of them now.

But....is that really the proper US ending?  Surely not?

In other news it's the three new Red Dwarfs this weekend.  I'm feeling worryingly optimistic.  The clips I've seen aren't entirely awful.

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

tomassetti13@hotmail.com folkefiendar
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 08:49:21 PM »

I haven't watched any of the US ones at all.  I've seen too many poor remakes of shows I like to bother with any of them now.

But....is that really the proper US ending?  Surely not?

Oh it is. I nearly threw my drink at the TV after it happened. Throughout the episode I was just sitting there "Please just redo the original ending", and then BAM. We got whacked with that. The original ending was perfect, perhaps one of the best endings in TV history to me.

edit: Life On Mars (US) - Ending

The series wasn't kinda crap at first, then it got into it's own and was much better... then the final 2 episodes happened... THEN THAT ENDING.

In other news it's the three new Red Dwarfs this weekend.  I'm feeling worryingly optimistic.  The clips I've seen aren't entirely awful.

I forgot those were coming this weekend.

Time to warm up the ol bit-torrent (since, based on US airing schedules, I'd probably see them in 2011 if I waited).

Also the Doctor Who easter special which is believed to be Tennant's last episode. I'm not looking forward to the new Doctor, he just doesn't look like a doctor to me. On the other hand, the series is now in Moffat's hands, the best DW writer on the new series. Very confused as to how to feel.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 09:08:55 PM by EricT » Logged

My Achievements Earned:

Sit on my ass and do nothing for 2 hours - CHECK
Stare at a computer screen for more than an hour - CHECK
Ignore those around me for more than 10 hours - CHECK
Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 02:41:40 PM »

Oh it is. I nearly threw my drink at the TV after it happened. Throughout the episode I was just sitting there "Please just redo the original ending", and then BAM. We got whacked with that. The original ending was perfect, perhaps one of the best endings in TV history to me.

edit: Life On Mars (US) - Ending

The series wasn't kinda crap at first, then it got into it's own and was much better... then the final 2 episodes happened... THEN THAT ENDING.
Ok I just watched that and I still don't believe it.  At least when Red Dwarf did that storyline it was meant to be funny.

Also the Doctor Who easter special which is believed to be Tennant's last episode. I'm not looking forward to the new Doctor, he just doesn't look like a doctor to me. On the other hand, the series is now in Moffat's hands, the best DW writer on the new series. Very confused as to how to feel.
Oh yeah we have our whole evening planned around the Dr.Who special.  Sad but I don't care Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 11:20:30 AM »

Red Dwarf then.  Not great, but as the first episode of a multi-part story I'll reserve full judgement until I've seen the whole thing (which luckily we don't have to wait a week for)

One big thing though is that it didn't have a laughter track and consequently a lot of it felt very cold with awkward pauses between jokes.  I'm not a fan of some false canned laughter, but in this case it really did feel like it was missing something.

I must say the sets and fx looked generally great mind.  A vat improvement on the CG that had crept into the later series.

Mikey
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

Hybrid Two

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 11:53:35 AM »

I'm very much into the Boston Legal series.. they have got a finale series running at the moment on Living (series 5).

Here are some of the funnier bits;

Boston Legal - Lesbian!

Captain Kirk is... Denny Crain! - Funny!

What Is Scientology?

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 02:23:54 PM »

I'm very much into the Boston Legal series.. they have got a finale series running at the moment on Living (series 5).
And I still haven't gotten around to watching any eps yet.  Probably because it's hidden away on Living which I never visit.

So episode 2 of the new Red Dwarfs and a big improvement.  A lot of ep 1 now makes a bit more sense, but I'm not sure that's intentional or whether I'm reading too much into it (the awkward pauses where there was no laughter track being one example I "think" I can now explain away)

One thing i would suggest to anyone else planning on watching is to watch all 3 episodes in one go as it will flow and make a lot more sense that way.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 01:35:10 PM »

Final ep of Red Dwarf was another mixed bag.  I like the plot and they way it resolved, it had a few really funny bits, but there were pacing issues again.  I can't decide whether the story was really a 2 parter that they stretched out with extra scenes to fill 3 episodes, or whether it was too long for 3 and they chopped some scenes out.  Either way it didn't flow.

Hopefully it was good enough to convince people that there should be another proper series.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 01:07:43 PM »

Has nobody watched the new Dr.Who yet?  It wasn't that bad TBH apart from the silly bit at the end

I watched it with a 10 year old who thought the whole thing was utterly great though so job done I guess.  A lot of people that grew up watching Dr.Who are overly critical of it now IMO.  They forget that it's essentially aimed at kids and that's why they got hooked on it years ago.

las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 08:48:40 PM »

Has nobody watched the new Dr.Who yet?  It wasn't that bad TBH apart from the silly bit at the end

I watched it with a 10 year old who thought the whole thing was utterly great though so job done I guess.  A lot of people that grew up watching Dr.Who are overly critical of it now IMO.  They forget that it's essentially aimed at kids and that's why they got hooked on it years ago.
I guess you're right about people being too critical, but that said I still think it wasn't very good "special". In fact, it was way below average episode of the new Dr. Who. The same kind of storyline was used in the episode "Midnight", which despite it's seriously low budget setting was a whole lot more interesting. 

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 10:49:24 PM »

The second series of The Inbetweeners has started. Hurrah!  Childish, puerile, toilet humour....it's great.

The Inbetweeners | Larks at the Park | E4

The Inbetweeners | Bringing Up Baby | E4

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 12:02:46 PM »

Ashes to Ashes got off to a good start last night.  The episodes storyline was decent if a  touch predictable and we found out a few important details about Alex's position back in the real world.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »

Just watched the second ep of Ashes to Ashes that I'd recorded and the main plot is evolving nicely.  I do find the stories within the individual episodes hugely predictable though.  From the first few minutes of this ep if was obvious how it was all going to unfold so it's only the longer storyline that keeps the interest up.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 02:13:52 PM »

So Ashes to Ashes series 2 is finished and it was ace.  The final episode had an extra twist in it that I hadn't predicted.

So that's the only TV drama I watch finished until next year.  What now?  BunnyMonkey!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37 Go Up Print 
Jump to: