binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 10:56:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Unity3d Engine Now Free
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unity3d Engine Now Free  (Read 9762 times)
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« on: October 29, 2009, 11:17:06 AM »

Saw the news over on the blitz site and thought i would post here.

Unity 3d is an exciting game engine with lots of support for various formats, such as iphone, web development, xbox, pc's and mac ect.

News - In-Depth: Unity Launches Free Option, Announces Xbox 360 Support

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25840

The Unity3d site

http://unity3d.com/

I havn't tried the engine myself, but i have heard alot of high praise for it.

TMC
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 01:35:53 PM »

Nice to see another 360 API/dev environment.

Mikey
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

Hybrid Two

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 04:32:14 PM »

I saw this thread this morning, and I must say, I do quite like Unity.. Would only be useful to me for prototyping though, since it doesn't allow a wow-factor of expansive potential.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 06:35:14 PM »

It's already really popular so I'd guess this is an attempt to get some form of monopoly of the market.  Not that I'd be complaining if I was looking for a new engine mid as it looks really nice.

Unfortunately 360 support is irrelevant for the vast majority of indi devs as it can't be used on Indie Games releases.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 06:42:44 AM »

It's already really popular so I'd guess this is an attempt to get some form of monopoly of the market.  Not that I'd be complaining if I was looking for a new engine mid as it looks really nice.

Unfortunately 360 support is irrelevant for the vast majority of indi devs as it can't be used on Indie Games releases.
Oh. Shit.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 10:40:58 AM »

Yeh, forgot to mention, the Free version is the Indie version, which is the basic no frills version.

It's still a bargain though.

And i read, that Unity has just recently had a 5 million investment, which in this financial climate is pretty impressive to say the least.

It's already really popular so I'd guess this is an attempt to get some form of monopoly of the market.

Yeh, i agree.  A smart move.  Smiley

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 10:43:43 AM »

It's already really popular so I'd guess this is an attempt to get some form of monopoly of the market.  Not that I'd be complaining if I was looking for a new engine mid as it looks really nice.

Oh. Shit.
Yeah one of the good about XNA is that nearly everything you need is already in there and works with a minimum of hassle, the bad side of that is you can't access external libraries for 360 games.  You can do what you like for PC games though.

EDIT: I assume you can use it with Blitz?

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 10:54:06 AM »

I assume you can use it with Blitz?

No, not that i'm aware.

The Blitz forums are really multi format, with alot of users using a variety of different languages and dev systems.

The leadworks engine for example is compatible with blitz and alot of 3rd party software is supported, but i don't see the advantage of wrapping the unity engine with Blitz.  I think most people would prefer to use the Unity engine on it's own.  Probably much easier and reliable that way.

TMC
Mikey
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

Hybrid Two

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 01:58:46 PM »

But with the ease of use with unity... If I can for instance, make a small map, add a few entities, script them to do something certain... Then rest assure it someone else can do the exact same thing.

It's limited potential.

If it was an SDK where you could load it into C++ or whatever, then I would have my hands and drool all over it

donny
500 XP

http://www.whynot.tk

vincent_griezelig@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 03:10:21 PM »

couldn't you use the handy (?) tools from unity like the map-editor for own projects in e.g. C++?
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 10:44:20 AM »

Unity3d has it's own scripting programming language.  C#, java and python. As well as all the integrated tools that go to help game dev.

From the features page of the unity site

Unity supports three scripting languages: JavaScript, C#, and a dialect of Python called Boo. All three are equally fast and interoperate. All three can use the underlying .NET libraries which support databases, regular expressions, XML, file access and networking.

Flexible and Easy
Moving, rotating, and scaling objects just takes a single line of code. Duplicating, removing, and changing properties is done likewise. Everything can be referenced directly, by name or hierarchy, tags, and proximity or touch.

http://unity3d.com/unity/features/scripting

So, it is a programming language and multi feature / purpose game engine.

It's limited potential.

I have to disagree.  To me it looks like incredibly versatile, feature packed and well supported.  It has huge potential to be an industry standard.

It's a pity i don't have any hands on experience using it, otherwise i could give a more indepth analysis.

TMC
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 10:48:04 AM by The_Masked_Coder » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 08:47:08 PM »

It's limited potential.

I have to disagree.  To me it looks like incredibly versatile, feature packed and well supported.  It has huge potential to be an industry standard.
I've finally had time to have a proper look into it and it looks pretty good to me too.  If it makes things easier and faster for developers then they will gladly put up with it's minor limitations.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 05:34:25 PM »

I see Unity for iOS and Android is free for a limited period of time.

https://store.unity3d.com/index.html

It's quite amusing reading back through some of the comments on here from a few years ago considering how popular Unity has become.  BunnyMonkey!

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 07:30:16 PM »

cool
it still holds you in thier 'box' of what a game can do'   , i have somr current unity users pushing me to make p3d support it .
sooo now it's free i should research it .

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 06:23:49 PM »

cool
it still holds you in thier 'box' of what a game can do'   , i have somr current unity users pushing me to make p3d support it .
sooo now it's free i should research it .
What would you have to do to get ps3 to integrate with Unity?  Does it have it's own file formats or something?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Jump to: