binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 05:27:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30168 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Feedback
| | |-+  an idea for a mini game
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: an idea for a mini game  (Read 13715 times)
prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:46:20 PM »

ive just been thinking, (i know theres already alot of suggestion threads)
a small mini game id like to see would be space invaders (more galaga i guess)/breakout,
and since @fog you seem to be obsessed with games of the 70's (*coughs* *old person!* jk) Grin
if you ever run out of idea's that might be one to consider (assuming it hasnt been done yet)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 10:22:40 PM »

and since @fog you seem to be obsessed with games of the 70's (*coughs* *old person!* jk) Grin
80's games!  I'm not that old...oh wait.

a small mini game id like to see would be space invaders (more galaga i guess)/breakout,
Well there's not much detail there for a game idea Wink

My current mini project "1982" has invaders in it though.

prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 10:41:01 PM »

Well there's not much detail there for a game idea Wink
lol,
what i meant was: picture space invaders,
now replace your ship with a paddle..... tah dah!
lol,
i thought it was pretty straight forward,
you kill the aliens by hitting them with the ball, and still have to avoid their fire,
and i think thats it.
i know its really small, but when i thought about it i found it interesting.

as for 1982, i dont know much about it but i dont think it would be the same as that Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 01:19:53 PM »

what i meant was: picture space invaders,
now replace your ship with a paddle..... tah dah!
lol,
i thought it was pretty straight forward,
you kill the aliens by hitting them with the ball, and still have to avoid their fire,
and i think thats it.
Ah right.  Well I'm hugely tempted to do a Breakout/Arkanoid style game at some time, however I doubt it would be like that because killing the enemies in Arkanoid was my least favourite part.

You could always code it yourself and prove me wrong though. Smiley

prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 05:54:54 PM »

Well I'm hugely tempted to do a Breakout/Arkanoid style game at some time
DUOnoid!! Grin lol
another way you could make the breakout/pong games more interesting would be the ability to rotate the paddle like 25 degrees by pushing the "A" (to the left) and "S" (to the right) buttons (on pc),

lol i know i have alot of stupid ideas but they sound good to me.

You could always code it yourself and prove me wrong though. Smiley
yeah lol, i actually havent gone along with my plans of learning coding,
i did take your advice and downloaded some examples from the xna site,
but looking at them i could only think to myself "holy crap! i have no clue about any of this" lol
im thinking ill probly try to get a introduction to c# (hopefully incorporating the visual studio/xna ide) book as a Christmas present, because i dont know where to start (on a dial up connection lol).
but once i do get things figured out, i think ill try making something like that as a test project.
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 07:35:36 PM »

coding is fairly easy, you just have to want it bad enough!

i'm making Space Invaders ATM in OpenGL, I may for funzies try your idea out... could be quite fun!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:26:36 PM »

another way you could make the breakout/pong games more interesting would be the ability to rotate the paddle like 25 degrees by pushing the "A" (to the left) and "S" (to the right) buttons (on pc),
The updated breakout style games that I've played recently do exactly that.  Sounds like a perfectly logical addition to me Smiley

yeah lol, i actually havent gone along with my plans of learning coding,
i did take your advice and downloaded some examples from the xna site,
but looking at them i could only think to myself "holy crap! i have no clue about any of this" lol
im thinking ill probly try to get a introduction to c# (hopefully incorporating the visual studio/xna ide) book as a Christmas present, because i dont know where to start (on a dial up connection lol).
but once i do get things figured out, i think ill try making something like that as a test project.
If you are put off by XNA/C# then do look at Basic instead. It will be able to do pretty much whatever you want, is easier for beginners and a lot of the principles you learn are also used in C# and C++ so will make those easier to pick up later.  I was more than happy using Basic for years.

prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 08:49:29 PM »

yeah i could try basic (im pretty sure i downloaded the visual basic ide on my laptop a while ago, so i can always check out the help files with that if i get bored),
but i want to see if i can find some books for c# programming first, and see if i can do any better after that.
if that doesnt work for me, then ill try learning basic, but for now i want to see if keep trying with c#,
if nothing else i could use whatever c# books i find when making the transition from basic.
donny
500 XP

http://www.whynot.tk

vincent_griezelig@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 08:59:35 PM »

by all means don't start in visual basic. dark basic if you must, but use XNA if you can.
all languages look a like, there are no really big differences when it comes to drawing stuff to the screen. because you'll allways use the opengl or direct x libraries.
but if you go and code in c++ or c# or basic and whatnot, you'll have to learn how to use them in rather big detail.
frameworks like XNA (dx), OpenFrameworks (ogl)... and 'game-languages' like Dark Basic and Game Maker simplify the use of ogl and dx by setting everything up for you and providing functions that do very common tasks like playing back sound and 3D calculations.

also, i suggest frameworks rather than game-languages because you'll learn real code and you can go on with more in-depth ogl or dx stuff if you want. (if you look around in the library files you can even find the code of the functions you use.)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 11:50:50 AM »

The important thing when you're starting out is just to find a language that lets you get results as quickly and as simply as possible.  You can always learn more advanced languages and techniques later, but if you get put off by trying to start at a too advanced level then the later will never happen.

prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 05:36:14 PM »

oops, lol. ignored jdog for a second
coding is fairly easy, you just have to want it bad enough!

i'm making Space Invaders ATM in OpenGL, I may for funzies try your idea out... could be quite fun!
cool, if you do make it make sure to post a link to it so i can play. Smiley

by all means don't start in visual basic. dark basic if you must, but use XNA if you can.
yeah,
i am gonna stick with trying to use xna.
i think i really have to watch those video files at the creators club site,
but whenever im somewhere with high speed, theres just so much other things to do that i havent gotten around to it yet. (procrastinator lol)

do any of you guys know any good dial-up accessible resources? (aka articles)
or books for c#/xna that you can recommend?

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 05:44:15 PM »

No worries man, i'll send it your way.

As for books... I think Rob Miles wrote a fairly good XNA book designed for begginers in mind. Worked a treat for me Wink Ofcourse I was also taught C# by him personally so that made it a little bit easier...
prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 07:58:04 PM »

thanks,
according to wikipedia it seems he's written quite a few xna books,
so ill have to check those out.
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 09:59:13 PM »

yup, just get his most recent XNA book as its the most fitting.
Mikey
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

Hybrid Two

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 10:36:06 PM »

I personally highly recommend starting off in Blitz Basic 3D/2D/Max

It is basic, easy to learn, fun, and you get an immediate introduction to handles/pointers, which is vital for progressive learning of Programming languages.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Jump to: