binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 10:55:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  Space - It's Rather Large
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Space - It's Rather Large  (Read 33712 times)
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 10:17:43 AM »

That sounds really cool.

Interesting new series starting on BBC2 too, Sunday nights, all about the Solar System.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 08:11:37 PM »

That sounds really cool.

Interesting new series starting on BBC2 too, Sunday nights, all about the Solar System.

TMC

Excellent.  Thanks for the heads up.  I see it's presented by Brian Cox who I like from the few times he's presented Horizon so I've set it on series record. Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 05:36:26 PM »

That sounds really cool.

TMC

Watched that last night and it was really good.  I was worried it might be a bit watered down for the masses as quite a few BBC documentaries tend to be these days, but it wasn't.

I followed that up by watching a new episode of the excellent The Universe on The History Channel about parallel universes.  All spaced out.  BunnyMonkey!

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 10:14:03 AM »

Watched that last night and it was really good.  I was worried it might be a bit watered down for the masses as quite a few BBC documentaries tend to be these days, but it wasn't.

Yep.  I agree.  It was an excellent show.

I particularly liked the music in the programme which i thought suited the incredible space scenes perfectly.

I followed that up by watching a new episode of the excellent The Universe on The History Channel about parallel universes.  All spaced out.

It's a pity i don't have access to the History Channel.  Would loved to have seen that.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 03:11:43 PM »

I followed that up by watching a new episode of the excellent The Universe on The History Channel about parallel universes.  All spaced out.

It's a pity i don't have access to the History Channel.  Would loved to have seen that.
Yeah The Universe is a fantastic series, my favourite ever on all things spacey.  The first series had about a dozen 1 hour episodes narrated brilliantly by John Hurt and concentrated on the usual planets, the Sun etc.  The later series have looked at more in depth and unusual issues.  Well worth looking up if you can source them elsewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Universe_%28TV_series%29

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 10:23:07 AM »

Cheers for the link.   Smiley

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 01:41:12 PM »

The shuttle docking with the ISS in front of the Sun.  Wow.

http://astrosurf.com/legault/iss_atlantis_transit_2010.html

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 09:57:11 AM »

Nice picture.

Well, thats the end of the official US space programme.

Countries such as India and China are now set to be the world leaders in space.

Although the US does plan future missions, it's basically being left to outsource to private industries.

Although i'm of the opinion that a super secret space exploration programme has been in operation by the US for decades, using advanced proprietory technology.  So it's no suprise to me to see the official space programme wound down.

And theres still alot of talk about getting to Mars.

To me thats just plain stupid.

The obvious method is to go back to the moon and use it as a  stepping stone to go further into space.  With moon bases.

No to plan a 2 year round trip to mars.

TMC

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 05:04:48 PM »

And theres still alot of talk about getting to Mars.

To me thats just plain stupid.

The obvious method is to go back to the moon and use it as a  stepping stone to go further into space.  With moon bases.

No to plan a 2 year round trip to mars.
I'd guess that in the current climate it's difficult to justify space exploration and it's only doing milestone stuff like being the first on Mars that the public would buy into (and I dare say sponsors would too).  Most people just don't see the worth in spending big bucks on genuine scientific discovery....unfortunately.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 10:53:16 PM »

Shuttle launch.

Link and not image for a reason....it's huge Smiley

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/100514-f-0000c-603.jpg

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 09:54:39 AM »

Looks like a missile. lol.

Nice shot of the F14 / F15 though.

Did you hear about the asteroid / comet thats just recently crashed into jupiter.

http://www.earthfiles.com/

TMC
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 09:56:58 AM by The_Masked_Coder » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 07:22:31 PM »

Did you hear about the asteroid / comet thats just recently crashed into jupiter.

http://www.earthfiles.com/
I didn't know that.

They do say that if it wasn't for the large outer planets hoovering up all the stray asteroids and commets then we'd be completely screwed.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 06:52:44 PM »

This is rather fantastic.  An infra-red view of the centre of our galaxy that cuts out most of the dust that normally obscures our view of the other stars.  I know it's deceiving but the stars do look amazingly densely packed.

Link because it's huge!
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1005/galcen2_2mass_big.jpg

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 08:45:34 PM »

Space really is amazing at times Smiley

Twinkling in the sky is a diamond star of 10 billion trillion trillion carats, astronomers have discovered.

The cosmic diamond is a chunk of crystallised carbon, 4,000 km across, some 50 light-years from the Earth in the constellation Centaurus.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3492919.stm

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 02:11:08 PM »

50th Anniversary of first Human space flight.

50 years ago today, at 06:07 the Vostok 1 launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan carrying human cargo. Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin would soon become the first man in the history of the human race to look at the Earth from the outside. He entered orbit only ten minutes later. This was a magnificent feat when you consider the fact that today is the 50th anniversary and the Wright brothers had performed the first powered flight only 48 years previous.

After just over an hour in orbit the Vostok 1 re-entered the atmosphere and, after ejection, Gagarin landed safely 16 miles south west of Engels in the Saratov region where he was found by a farmer and his daughter, of which Gagarin later said:

"When they saw me in my space suit and the parachute dragging alongside as I walked, they started to back away in fear. I told them, don't be afraid, I am a Soviet like you, who has descended from space and I must find a telephone to call Moscow!".

Gagarin became an international celebrity, and was awarded numerous medals and honours, including Hero of the Soviet Union. Vostok 1 marked his only spaceflight, but he served as backup to the Soyuz 1 mission, which ended in a fatal crash. Gagarin later became deputy training director of the Cosmonaut Training Centre outside Moscow, which was later named after him. He tragically missed seeing the first Moon landing when a training jet he was piloting crashed, killing him, in 1968.

I can only imagine what a powerful symbol and an iconic photograph the image of him smiling alongside the Apollo 11 crew would have been.

Have to admit I didn't even know he had died so long ago.

I did laugh at this quote though Smiley
I told them, don't be afraid, I am a Soviet like you, who has descended from space and I must find a telephone to call Moscow!"

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Up Print 
Jump to: