binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 23, 2018, 05:30:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30179 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  Guest Dev Blogs (Moderator: JDog053)
| | |-+  my ECE Dev Blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 63 Go Down Print
Author Topic: my ECE Dev Blog  (Read 162391 times)
Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 08:22:39 PM »

hells yea .. LOL

I have 1000's of textures i make .. soe form  still refs reworked for a few hours of editing  and mostly from precedurals editing from scratch . (Texture Maker Pro 2.8x and 3X , as they are very diff beastes between versions .  + RDP + Lunar cell and other Flaming Pear  plugins)

* plntgraymountains1.jpg (57.54 KB, 512x512 - viewed 497 times.)

* greenball2.jpg (395.47 KB, 1024x1024 - viewed 532 times.)

* craterT2d.jpg (15.29 KB, 256x256 - viewed 513 times.)

* ymmipa6.jpg (13.66 KB, 256x256 - viewed 499 times.)

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 10:03:24 AM »

Nice textures.  Smiley

Lunar cell and other Flaming Pear  plugins)

I was about to suggest Lunar Cell.

I found it a while ago when i started to write a 2d top down version of Elite.

It's a very cool Photoshop plugin.   Grin

I created over a 100 planet image textures with it for use in the game.  I created sphere maps using the plugin and used them to texture 3d spheres in 3ds max.  Where i could add lighting and control the render.  Also allows for an alpha layer with the render too.

I downloaded the time limited trial and created as many texture maps as i could before it ran out.  I think the trial gives you 30 days or so.

I was really impressed with it.

I remember years ago i created a Dark Basic 3d planet generation programme.  It used a technique of morphing one half of a 3d sphere at a random angle and repeating the process.

Over several iterations the planet starts to gain 3d surface features ( a bumpy surface ) .

The technique didn't allow for color though.  It just generated the mesh.

I see also theres some pretty impressive realtime planet generation demo's on gamedev.net ( image of the day section ).  Awsome what some people are doing now.

TMC
Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 10:55:08 AM »

well no pritty mesh pics just ..

yep i finished the folding pane sections .. ( actual windows)

to fit more commands on

* NF_FOLDING_1.jpg (120.12 KB, 700x446 - viewed 476 times.)

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 09:46:43 AM »

Is the GUI your using part of NF then, or have you designed it yourself ?

TMC
Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »

gui is all me .
- bit of win api lol
- NF commands for those win api ..

but mainly all me with custom api draw items .

like in this pic...
soem days i wonder when will i get back to game coding .. LOL  Grin

* NF_FOLDING_2.jpg (125.98 KB, 512x512 - viewed 496 times.)

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 03:11:28 AM »

ok nuf that , time to code visual like stuff again .

i had to make soem gadgets that would allow the tool tabs to work kinda like 3d Max's but a tad better IMO . LOL

- no refinement on gui for this version it will be mostly text / simple api bassed.

any how pic

* NF_FOLDING_3.jpg (189.99 KB, 728x471 - viewed 529 times.)

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 09:48:32 AM »

Woa, thats all the more impressive, creating your own GUI as well.   Grin

It's amazing how much work needs to be done before you can actually get to game creation.

All i seem to do is create editors lately. lol.

I'm also pretty lucky, in that the language i use, Blitzmax, has several GUI libraries available for it.  Some free but the official version has to be payed for.

They are well featured though.

I wouldn't want to code my own GUI system.  Thats an awful lot of work.

Kudos to you.   Cheesy

You're also giving me a run for my money with the amount of screenshots you post.   Wink

TMC
Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 10:03:01 AM »

LOL screen shots are easy .. having something worth posting ..LOL

the screens are as much for me and by brains to keep me moving .

actualy i could have just used win api .. and all the normal windows gagets ..
1 : they don't look the same  on all win OS's i support , (size n shape changes vs os )
2 : some win api gagets have a min size. below tht they blowup or stop working or become visualy broken.

3 , allows me to use light weight dynamic system that will prot to full 3d easier ... so teh 2d win api gui will be 90% how the 3d will look .

- was never realy impressed with the DBP gui  an such  just the eaxtra api commands they added . I have  long built my own GUI' s

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 05:19:52 PM »

Writing GUI's is a weird one.  I absolutely hate coding menu stuff and the like, but for some reason really enjoyed coding a GUI library in DBPro.  I guess it was the challenge that made it interesting whereas writing normal menu code is dead easy.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 09:50:59 AM »

I downloaded your Ece v.20 DB demo and gave it a whirl.

Like you say, theres not much to do in it, but what is there is pretty cool.

First thing that struck me was how well the feeling of being in space gave me.
The mothership being pretty big helps alot there.

Loved the launch sequence too.

The background stars were far too pixelated and blocky though which i felt let it down.

Overal it shows alot of promise.  Really looking forward to playtesting your updated c++ version.  I know thats going to be so much better.

Also found some pretty useful links on your site too.

It reminded me alot of an old DB classic demo i wrote several years ago called "An ODE to elite".  Again you couldn't do much in it, except fly around and fire off your cannnons, fly by a few space stations and asteroids.

I've always been a big fan of space games ever since first playing Elite on the C64 back in the day.   Grin

TMC
Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 10:07:34 AM »

i know teh AI gun setting where way to crazy complex in that demo .

free guns ... = guns tracked your mouse cursor . ..
smart guns ... tracked the current targeted object .. ( all guns LOL even the huge deck guns on the BSG  tracked your target )
locked guns . = no tracking .

had fun with that .. in 1.9 teh raiders jest flew thier random waypoints ....  an did not  know palyer was gunning for them .

in 2.0 teh raiders are ... reactionary .... it you lock onto tehm or scan them with yourtargeting system thier AI switches to " angry " mode.
and they will break from the waypoint systems and make you thier next auto nav target  and strafe you till you die or teh angry clocl runs out on the ai mode for that raider

to make em all made simply cycle through all the raiders ..

space feel was doen by adding RCS like roll controll and stabalization responce to movements .. keep sa slight sim feel but allows for the arcade like flight responce .  teh speed was set with upper number pad for cruise throttle  and boost on mouse button .
the addition of missiles that seek target was loads of fun .

basicaly get a good lok with target in view and hit the missile key 2 times . 1/4 sec appart and you are garonteed a kill.
LOL

yeah ..
but the looks teh day i put 2.0 out and did not tell my beta testers teh cylons would fight back . LOL
one of my tester admitted to shreeking like a litte girl , enough for his wife  to come check on him .  they had gotten used to teh passive bucket shoot .

the c++ built version will be a fair bit better .  should us the same algos' for  foux physics (FP) . 
converting some of that old DBP code is gonna suck  . it's all dyanmic array bassed stuff .LOL

turret ai alone has been cut down from 200 lines to 30 lines .. allowing more active auto turrets ..
and alowing multi threaded computers to give the AI a place to sit an stew . LOL
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:09:10 AM by Prime_8 » Logged

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 10:23:38 AM »

Oh thats really cool.

You know, i missed alot of that stuff.  I didn't know you could shoot.  I didn't bother looking for instructions.   Tongue

I'll go back and give that another try.

It seems theres far more to that demo than i realised.   Grin

TMC
Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 11:14:33 AM »

press H in game for quicks OSD of keys in hud

and read the read me for latest key systems and such

- according to an old Fog quote form back in the LLRGT / pre MunkyNuts days " I'ts not a demo untill you can shoot somthign or have a score "
- so if it's just nice to look at i call ita tech demo ...
but if it has guns it's a Demo !

some stats from  ECEed  showing size of project .. ( line sof code does not include the NF lib sys)

* code_stats_1.jpg (48.06 KB, 244x304 - viewed 500 times.)

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 07:33:15 PM »

- according to an old Fog quote form back in the LLRGT / pre MunkyNuts days " I'ts not a demo untill you can shoot somthign or have a score "
lol.  You have a good memory.  I doubt that's the last quote that will come back to haunt me Smiley

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 10:08:26 AM »

lol.  You have a good memory.  I doubt that's the last quote that will come back to haunt me
 Shocked

press H in game for quicks OSD of keys in hud

and read the read me for latest key systems and such

Yeh, it's a pity that the Escape key for instance doesnt bring up a menu with an ingame instructions section.

The readme file doesnt show in programmes shortcut, i have to navigate to the installed folder in order to find it.

On reading it though, i see there are a tonne of options.  It's obvious you've really put alot of work into it.

Turning on the radar in game was really cool.  I really liked the idea of drawing lines to the target in 3d.  Having the radar centered on the screen really helped as well.

And shooting stuff.   Grin

I only scratched te surface of it on my first play, not knowing the commands.

Great stuff.

What utility did you use to generate your source stats.  Is it part of your IDE ?

TMC
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:11:29 AM by The_Masked_Coder » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 63 Go Up Print 
Jump to: