binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 10:54:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Feedback
| | |-+  Last directx update broke echoes?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Last directx update broke echoes?  (Read 6210 times)
Vela
1 XP

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2010, 01:17:49 AM »

Hey there! I've been playing Echoes for a while and having a blast with it, but it refuses to start anymore after I updated directx a couple days ago. It spits something like this:
"Runtime error 506: could not load image - line 11235"
I'm on windows 7 x64 in case it helps
Cheers
donny
500 XP

http://www.whynot.tk

vincent_griezelig@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 01:48:21 PM »

well, i guess you solved your own problem.
if you didn't do anything else, it'll be the DX.

but the erroe says smthn about loading images. try downloading it again, and reinstalling it.

if that doesn't work, try compitability mode (set it to XP), or try installing an older version of DX.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 08:36:08 PM »

Hi Vela and welcome.

It still seems to work here but I don't have a Windows 7 machine to test it on.  As donny suggests, maybe try downloading it again to make sure the file isn't corrupted in some way.

If that doesn't work then let me know and I'll look into it further.   Smiley

Vela
1 XP

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 10:57:58 PM »

Okay, I fail to understand this... I have the game in a folder in the desktop, and when I open it from the folder it works fine, but I also have the desktop menu in the windows 7 taskbar, and if I try to open it from there it crashes.
Go figure...  Huh

Thanks for the quick reply!
las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 08:31:58 AM »

ah, that makes some sense.

when you open the .exe the images are loaded from a 'relative path' such as "images/image1.jpg", which in this case means c:\users\username\desktop\echoes\images\image1.jpg. It can happen that when opening the exe, the "current working directory" is not set to c:\users\username\echoes\ - which means that the game will try to look for the images in a wrong place - most likely C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Echoes.

Why this happens? No idea. But try checking the shortcut icon in your start menu by right-clicking on it and selecting properties and make sure the 'Start in' path is correct and points to the echoes folder on your desktop.

Vela
1 XP

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 09:06:03 PM »

Actually I'm not using a shortcut (though that may be easier, now that I think about it), I just run the file from the desktop toolbar (http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/39607d1259647655-desktop-toolbar-taskbar-add-remove-example.jpg)...
But anyway, I can make the game work if I open it from a window, so this is a very minor issue.
Thanks again for the fast replies, I'm very impressed that I can get better support from an indie devteam than from many of the big companies!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 10:47:31 PM »

Thanks again for the fast replies, I'm very impressed that I can get better support from an indie devteam than from many of the big companies!
Not form me.  I code the games but I've no idea how stuff works!

Thanks to the other guys for helping out Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to: