binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 10:52:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Feedback
| | |-+  DUO - small bug affecting multi monitor setups
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DUO - small bug affecting multi monitor setups  (Read 13149 times)
miskie
1 XP

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2010, 11:36:17 AM »

Good morning -

I just wanted to report a small, easily reproducible,  bug I noticed while playing DUO.

If one plays the game using mouse control on a multi-monitor system, and one manages to move the mouse to the other screen, the ability to control the ship is lost until the mouse pointer is moved back onto the game screen.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 04:52:59 PM »

Hi miskie and welcome.

Unfortunately the language DUO was written in (DBPro) doesn't handle multi-monitor set-ups properly so there's little I can do about that.  Sorry.

I'm now using a different language though so I'll make sure that's fixed in any sequel Smiley

miskie
1 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »

No big deal -its more of a minor annoyance than anything else -

For what its worth, The game is fantastic. It lives in a directory on my modded arcade cab, which has two screens (27 inch for games, and a 15 in touchscreen for menu functions and whatnot) - I just need to pull the mouse back onto the game screen every now and then.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 10:21:47 PM »

Good to hear you like it miskie Smiley

I don't know whether you can in your cab set-up, but there's always the joypad or keys control options if the mouse becomes a real issue.

FWIW I much prefer the mouse controls myself too so it's mildly frustrating that this multi-monitor issue that I can do nothing about has caused problems for some people.

miskie
1 XP

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 11:54:23 PM »

I've played the game with both joypad & keyboard, but nothing compares to mouse - or my case, trackball as a way to control the game.

The truth is, I can solve the problem on my end with scripting. I can switch the game to the main screen, and then shut off the secondary before launch, then reverse on exit. Ive done this before with other games that dislike multiple monitors, so its not that big of a deal. I wanted to bring the issue to your attention, in case you weren't aware of it.  Grin
miskie
1 XP

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 12:21:37 AM »

-- actually --

perhaps thats the solution - I don't know anything about DBPro - (I haven't looked at DB for years) but is it possible to shut off/turn on secondary monitors with it ?  If it is, that would solve the multi monitor problem by avoiding it altogether..
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 04:59:46 PM »

-- actually --

perhaps thats the solution - I don't know anything about DBPro - (I haven't looked at DB for years) but is it possible to shut off/turn on secondary monitors with it ?  If it is, that would solve the multi monitor problem by avoiding it altogether..
That's exactly my problem. DBPro has no commands to handle secondary monitors so there is little I can do to fix it in code here.

Thanks again for the feedback though. It's all things I need to remember to address in future releases Smiley

donny
500 XP

http://www.whynot.tk

vincent_griezelig@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 05:13:18 PM »

can't you reposition the cursor though?
that's ought to be enough to handle with this.

something like
if (mouse.x > resolution.x) {mouse.x = resolution.x;}
same for y
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »

can't you reposition the cursor though?
that's ought to be enough to handle with this.

something like
if (mouse.x > resolution.x) {mouse.x = resolution.x;}
same for y
I already do that.  I also do in Echoes too but there are a few posts on this board saying dual monitors cause a problem in that.

I'm using XNA now of course so it will be interesting to see how that handles the same thing Smiley

donny
500 XP

http://www.whynot.tk

vincent_griezelig@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 06:17:54 PM »

oh, strange.
did you also let it check
if (mouse.x < 0) {mouse.x = 0;}
if you put monitor 'on the left' of your primary monitor, the mouse.x value can go negative, i persume.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 06:40:57 PM »

oh, strange.
did you also let it check
if (mouse.x < 0) {mouse.x = 0;}
if you put monitor 'on the left' of your primary monitor, the mouse.x value can go negative, i persume.
Yup bounds checking in every direction. Smiley

I'm guessing the problem is that even when doing that check the mouse has already gone off screen as far as the OS is concerned and that kicks in to switch focus to the other monitor.  Repositioning the mouse pointer doesn't solve the problem because it's too late by then.  

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 03:23:51 AM »

wonder if you can trap and change the callback for for mouse leaving monitor. like locking the mouse to a view.
there should be an MS event to catch ..

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 08:39:57 PM »

wonder if you can trap and change the callback for for mouse leaving monitor. like locking the mouse to a view.
there should be an MS event to catch ..
Yeah it was just a pain as far as DBPro was concerned but that's history now so Smiley

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 05:33:58 PM »

trp the mouse before it gets near the edge of teh screen .
like put a 15 xp wide margin on teh side facing the dual monitor ( right , on most rigs )
I can test it for ya .

my 3d stuff my mouse is set a 200x200 & wheel set at 100 i reposition it there each frame , and measuer teh delta if any ...
and apply the delta to my inputs as needed . I never lose a mouse . LOL

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 08:43:04 PM »

trp the mouse before it gets near the edge of teh screen .
like put a 15 xp wide margin on teh side facing the dual monitor ( right , on most rigs )
I can test it for ya .
Thanks but that would mean installing DBPro again and it's not worth the hassle Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Jump to: