binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 12:58:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Feedback
| | |-+  Echoes help
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Echoes help  (Read 3712 times)
grunta
1 XP

View Profile Email
« on: July 19, 2010, 10:36:15 AM »

Hi,
I have been playing echoes, for about a week now, and have some questions regarding the game. Apart from sliding of my chair dodging meteorites, I have trouble getting a decent score. I am playing the easy level. I have only a keyboard to play the game. I do not know what type of joystick to use. I have been playing Civ since about 1995 and do not need a joy stick. Could some one give me some advice.

Grunta

From a land downunder

G'day from a land downunder.
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 01:54:10 PM »

Sure, I assume you're usig the Keyboard/Mouse combo of Mouse to move Keyboard to aim?

If so, i'd reccommend shooting in the direction you're travelling. Always try and kill the next most threatening enemy (the snake or planet usualy) and pick up every powerup because they're there to help.

Above all though practice is the Key. Maybe experiencing the game on Normal or Hard may give you a better idea of what to expect. Then as you get better at Normal you can return to easy and you'll be fine Smiley

Hope that was of some help, if not post again and I or someone else will try and be of more help Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 02:30:44 PM »

Hi grunta and welcome. Smiley

yeah, as JDog says, are you just using keyboard or and you using a keyboard and mouse combo?  The game was originally designed around using mouse to move and keyboard to rotate and it works really well once you adjust to it IMO.

A twin stick joypad will always be the ideal control method for this style of game for most people and playing with keyboard only isn't idea.

If you can use a mouse too then it should still be very playable.  Although I prefer mouse to move and keys to rotate, I know a lot of people prefer using keys to move and mouse to aim and both set-ups are available in the options.

As for tactics well it can appear safer at the edges of the screen, however there's always a good chance you'll get hit by an asteroid entering the screen.  Also it taking on a larger enemy then try backing away from it as you shoot as this will buy you a bit of extra time (particularly useful for those red asteroid belts or those cyan planets and moons)

As mentioned earlier though, if you are just using keyboard controls without a mouse then it will be a lot harder.  Unfortunately the nature of the game means there's no way around that from a game design viewpoint that I can think of.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to: