binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2018, 03:43:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30167 Posts in 1158 Topics by 194 Members
Latest Member: RobertHedge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Evolving Markets and Target Platforms
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Evolving Markets and Target Platforms  (Read 38960 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #210 on: April 29, 2015, 12:17:25 AM »

Unsurprisingly OUYA is up for sale. 

http://fortune.com/2015/04/28/exclusive-gaming-startup-ouya-needs-to-find-a-buyer-quickly/

This is the end.....

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: April 29, 2015, 02:49:29 AM »

Quite a revolutionary concept on the App Store right now.  Get this....

You pay once for a game and then you can play it as many times as you want, no extra to pay.  Tongue

The fact this is worthy of promotion makes me more than a little sad about the state of the industry.
Frustratingly, I really wanted to play the Adventure Time: Card Wars game. But, despite costing $5 on Google Play, I was then APPALLED to find out that you also have to pay to play vis a vis the usual timer system in shitty F2P games. They really wanted to have it both ways. And you can spend up to $30 to unlock certain cards. And there's no multiplayer which is just stupid for a CCG.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #212 on: April 30, 2015, 09:20:58 PM »

Frustratingly, I really wanted to play the Adventure Time: Card Wars game. But, despite costing $5 on Google Play, I was then APPALLED to find out that you also have to pay to play vis a vis the usual timer system in shitty F2P games. They really wanted to have it both ways. And you can spend up to $30 to unlock certain cards. And there's no multiplayer which is just stupid for a CCG.
Yeah paying and then having IAP's is pretty scummy.

Oblivion Online tried charging $50,  a $10 monthly subscription and IAPs.   Tongue

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2015, 10:03:18 AM »

So what are Sega's plans these days?

In the fiscal year ending March 31, 2016, the number of newly launched titles distributed domestically in the field of digital game software is planned to be 47 (including 1 Pay-to-play type and 46 Free-to-play types).

46 FTP titles Tongue

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #214 on: June 20, 2015, 08:29:49 AM »

Razor have bought OUYA.  No idea what that actually means in the future for users and devs....other than the fact there is a future of some kind.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #215 on: July 30, 2015, 09:45:35 PM »

So Solitaire on Windows 10 has adverts and IAP's.  Welcome to modern gaming  Tongue

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/07/30/rip-microsoft-solitaire-1990-2015

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #216 on: June 22, 2016, 08:55:20 PM »

Quite an eyeopening piece of info in Yak's latest blog post on the state of the iOS market compared to the "dead" Vita.

To give some idea of just how awful iOS was for us, the first non-iOS game I did after spending two years on iOS, released on a Sony handheld [Vita] that many describe as being “obscure”, generated literally *thousands* of times more income for us than two years and ten games on iOS with its potential billions of users. In the face of that I would have been absolutely daft to spend any more time at all on iOS.

http://minotaurproject.co.uk/blog/?p=376

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: June 27, 2016, 09:10:39 AM »

Quite an eyeopening piece of info in Yak's latest blog post on the state of the iOS market compared to the "dead" Vita.

To give some idea of just how awful iOS was for us, the first non-iOS game I did after spending two years on iOS, released on a Sony handheld [Vita] that many describe as being “obscure”, generated literally *thousands* of times more income for us than two years and ten games on iOS with its potential billions of users. In the face of that I would have been absolutely daft to spend any more time at all on iOS.

http://minotaurproject.co.uk/blog/?p=376
Now that's incredibly interesting. I guess that's like the difference between releasing say, 1000 copies of your new record on vinyl and selling to your biggest fans, versus getting a million streams on Spotify and making 100 GBP...

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #218 on: June 29, 2016, 12:14:09 PM »

Now that's incredibly interesting. I guess that's like the difference between releasing say, 1000 copies of your new record on vinyl and selling to your biggest fans, versus getting a million streams on Spotify and making 100 GBP...
Yeah and I think Jeff's stuff is extreme in its appeal.  Your average iPhone gamer wont know Llamasoft's history or appreciate the look and sound of the games.

Plus there's the old problem of discoverability.  5 new games a week on the Vita vs 5000 new games on iOS.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Go Up Print 
Jump to: