binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 04:22:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  Guest Dev Blogs (Moderator: JDog053)
| | |-+  PT3D - procedural terrain creation tool
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PT3D - procedural terrain creation tool  (Read 18352 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2012, 01:06:10 PM »

Yeah it's looking nice and I agree about the website.  Maybe if you have a huge IP like GTA you can afford to release a single screenie to generate hype and interest, for a new project like this though a load of well presented media is essential.

Lets hope it delivers.  How many similar games have there been in the post Elite years that failed to live up to expectations?

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2012, 04:30:39 AM »

yeah , im glued .

>>
i am sketching out what i  want and need in my rpg spacer , and what i expect of it  .
seems hardest thing will be content .. that is depth of game play for single player . you know story and all . lol
sure endless random encounters is fun .. but a nice main quest is fun too .

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2012, 07:00:49 PM »

yeah , im glued .

>>
i am sketching out what i  want and need in my rpg spacer , and what i expect of it  .
seems hardest thing will be content .. that is depth of game play for single player . you know story and all . lol
sure endless random encounters is fun .. but a nice main quest is fun too .
If you're taking a more Elite style approach then you don't need much plot wise, just a rough background story that gives you a reason to trade and explore.

If the gameplay is fun enough then people will find their own motivation, especially if there are better craft and weapons to be earned from any money they make trading etc.

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2012, 02:59:51 PM »

i want the ability for users to build thier ships a bit . ie i will even allow a bit of morphing of some parts , as long as the 'snap' points are respected .lol
just some light changes , no poly mesh building or such . lol

hmm i suppose , a good randome encounter generator , that takes script to shape them would do .

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2012, 09:57:55 AM »

Sounds like you're developing the game I always wanted to do.  I started a 2D version years ago but gave up when I realised how many menus and UI's I would need.  I know you have more staying power than me Smiley

hmm i suppose , a good randome encounter generator , that takes script to shape them would do .
From space sims to GTA, all missions, whether randomly generated or scripted, basically boil down to the following...

(a) goto start location, get mission
(b) kill or collect something
(c) go to finish location to collect bounty/return object.

With a loose back story and a decent mission generator you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between scripted and random missions IMO.

Plus Rogue, Spelunky, Minecraft etc style randomly generated worlds and missions are all the rage right now.  Playing a unique game every time is hugely appealing Smiley

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2012, 07:36:05 AM »

yeah so like a loose back story and events that trigger by xp , or when some key quests or types of quest get done .
hmm

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2012, 07:36:26 PM »

yeah so like a loose back story and events that trigger by xp , or when some key quests or types of quest get done .
hmm
Essentially yes.  Like I say, if you don't have fancy FMV introducing missions and they are just text based intros then generated ones will be indistinguishable from the story ones you script.

Provided users get meaningful rewards from the missions (cash, ship upgrades etc) then they really don't need the extra incentive from a complicated back story.  Elite did ok without one Smiley

I've done around 100 hours in Skyrim and done just 2 story missions. IIRC a lot of Skyrims side quests are procedurally generated.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2012, 07:35:08 AM »

I've done around 100 hours in Skyrim and done just 2 story missions. IIRC a lot of Skyrims side quests are procedurally generated.

I've played Skyrim twice.

First play was following the main story to completion.  Which was great by the way.
And then i didn't feel like playing the game for a while.

When i returned to it for the second time, i decided not to do the main story but all the side quests.
This has the advantage of having a game world where no dragons exist to attack you.
Making for a much more enjoyable game world.
Not being hassled every 5 minutes by a dragon was great as you can explore the game world at a leisurely pace.

One thing that rpg's get a lot of stick for are generic and boring quests.
You've got to be careful when generating quests that they don't become too generic and similar.
Something i imagine would be quite difficult to do if they are proceduraly generated.

One way to keep them interesting is to chain quests.
Where one quest, leads on to another, then another until completion.
The trick here is to suprise the player as each new chain becomes apparent.
A bit like plot twists in a film.

TMC

Footnote

I decided to reinstall Skyrim for a 3rd time after talking about it here.

It's such a great game.

This time round i've decided to play as a mage.  The other two times i was mainly an archer.

Not bothering with the main quest again though.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 06:07:01 AM by T_M_C » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2012, 03:37:43 PM »

Skyrim really is great.  I must finish the main story some time.

One thing that rpg's get a lot of stick for are generic and boring quests.
You've got to be careful when generating quests that they don't become too generic and similar.
Something i imagine would be quite difficult to do if they are proceduraly generated.
That depends on how much is procedurally generated I guess.  You could generate the whole side quest, or you could write the backstory etc yourself so that it sounds good and has some variety and just randomly/procedurally generate the location, the characters/creatures involved and any items you have to retrieve.

I wish we weren't having this conversation because I'm hugely tempted to do a Rogue-like shmup now.  Tongue

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2012, 07:48:23 AM »

I wish we weren't having this conversation because I'm hugely tempted to do a Rogue-like shmup now.

LOL.

That would be a really interesting direction to take a shoot em up.

It's quite amazing how popular Roguelikes still are.

As most use only basic graphics, it shows how gameplay can keep long term players.

I'm still at work on my Rpg.

Just finished the weather system.

I've now got the sun and moon rising and falling, arcing across the sky with night, dawn/dusk and daytime skyboxes fading in and out with clouds floating by.
All synced to an ingame time system where 1 realtime hour = 24 hours game time.
I've also got a calender system in there as where.

The weather effects are snow, rain, thunder and lightning.

It's all looking quite atmospheric.   Smiley

Very much inspired by Oblivion and Skyrim.

TMC
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:07:25 PM by T_M_C » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2012, 04:56:15 PM »

As most use only basic graphics, it shows how gameplay can keep long term players.
You saying my graphics are crap like?  Grin

I'm still at work on my Rpg.

Just finished the weather system.

I've now got the sun and moon rising and falling, arcing across the sky with night, dawn/dusk and daytime skyboxes fading in and out with clouds floating by.
All synced to an ingame time system where 24 realtime hours = 1 hour game time.
I've also got a calender system in there as where.

The weather effects are snow, rain, thunder and lightning.

It's all looking quite atmospheric.   Smiley

Very much inspired by Oblivion and Skyrim.
Excellent.  I had wondered how it was progressing and how you were finding your new language choice.  Now update your dev blog Wink

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2012, 09:05:41 PM »

Excellent.  I had wondered how it was progressing and how you were finding your new language choice.  Now update your dev blog

Yeh, i'll probably start a dev blog for it shortly.   Smiley

I usually like to document the dev process.

It's gives a good indication of progress.  Especially at the end of year when you read back the posts and realise just how much work you've done.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2012, 06:26:47 PM »

Yeh, i'll probably start a dev blog for it shortly.   Smiley

I usually like to document the dev process.

It's gives a good indication of progress.  Especially at the end of year when you read back the posts and realise just how much work you've done.
do it.  I really enjoy reading them and I can only read The Making of Paradoid from Zzapp64 so many times  Tongue

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2012, 12:13:14 AM »

cool . yeah proceduraly made leves / quests are a trick to ge rite ,

made some fixes to pt3d !

* PT3D_n_Scapeaker1.jpg (165.48 KB, 592x757 - viewed 235 times.)

* PT3D_withgooglemaps1s.jpg (182.77 KB, 800x536 - viewed 240 times.)

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2012, 06:05:18 AM »

Good to see you're still working on your editor Prime.

Using Google street view is a novel way to get heightmaps.   Smiley

TMC
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
Jump to: