binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 22, 2018, 06:29:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  Guest Dev Blogs (Moderator: JDog053)
| | |-+  TMC's Shoot Em Up Construction Kit - Dev Diary
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TMC's Shoot Em Up Construction Kit - Dev Diary  (Read 21296 times)
Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2012, 05:31:48 PM »

wing commander used 'skeewd sprites to emulate perspective .

::  quats' are a more precise way to describe attitude in 3d .   
euler is imprecise as it is effected by order of opperation .
ie the order you apply the rotations can effect the final orientation of your object .

quats' don't suffer any order issues.    point at a vector and roll on local z axis .  that's  it .
most 3d formats that use quats for animation data for lower filesize and higher precission .
in animations they assume normalized vector component , and relative to object position ..  but ...
i have hit soem that use quats as a look at ( stilll some what valid ) with a z roll .
the idea is there , in that animation teh object points at a given point regardless of origin . LOL

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2012, 10:32:13 AM »

I think i prefer Quaternions over Euler, but i still find it useful to think of things in terms of yaw, pitch and roll.

Another great advantage is that you can convert a Quaternion into to a Euler Rotation Matrix and back again.

Which makes things a lot easier.

I do have code that allows for rotations about an arbitrary angle with a rotation matrix, which gets around gimble lock, but Quaternions are much more simple and elegant solution.

I loved the idea of Wing Commander and i was the Biggest Origin fan ever, being brought up on Ultima, but i never got to play Wing Commander on the Amiga or PC at the time so really missed the boat there.

I did get to play the game many years later and thought it had aged quite badly.

TMC
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:34:44 AM by The_Masked_Coder » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2012, 06:24:05 PM »

I did get to play the game many years later and thought it had aged quite badly.
Early 3D games, however the effect was achieved, really have aged horribly.

Many games from the Amiga era when most were 2D still look fantastic today and many could be released now, but the generation after that like the PSone which were mostly 3D look awful.

The strange thing is that in most cases that applies as much to the gameplay as it does to the graphics.....and I still haven't quite figured out why. 

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2012, 08:37:42 PM »

it was a cash grab on 2nd gen , or 2nd run items .

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2012, 07:40:47 PM »

In some cases hat's no doubt true.  In classics like GTA:Vice City though it was brilliantly playable at the time and, while it remains one of my favourite games of all time, I tried to play it again recently and it was truly awful.

I just think the elements that make up 3D gameplay (controls, camera etc) have evolved and improved a hell of a lot over the years and that's the main reason early 3D games feel horribly dated.  IMO Smiley 

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2012, 12:00:30 AM »

heres one for you .. when i gotn into rendering my own 3d scenes on high end art aps ..

i became dissinterrested in lower rez games.. almost disgusted in pixel art ... then one day i was " wow i have become a bit depth digital snob . " LOL ,, and though i re-respected teh pixel art and such  i still found lower graphic quality when it was not intended game style dreadfull .

+ when i figured how some of the 'tricks of how 3d worked ..  i became eveless impressed at obvious rushed products .  the magic was gone .

now with teh current generation of games , they are visualy gripping and draw you in .. when done well . .. i'm sue in 10 more years we will be like " i can't belive we liked that ... we did not even ha holographic voxel displays ! "
LOL

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2012, 06:30:42 AM »

In some cases hat's no doubt true.  In classics like GTA:Vice City though it was brilliantly playable at the time and, while it remains one of my favourite games of all time, I tried to play it again recently and it was truly awful.

I just think the elements that make up 3D gameplay (controls, camera etc) have evolved and improved a hell of a lot over the years and that's the main reason early 3D games feel horribly dated.  IMO Smiley 
It is weird how you say that, but I played GTA:SA... then tried to play GTA 3. The gap is huge.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2012, 08:11:52 PM »

It is weird how you say that, but I played GTA:SA... then tried to play GTA 3. The gap is huge.
Yup there's a big difference and I didn't realise it at the time.  In fact I would have sworn the mechanics of the gameplay were identical.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
Jump to: