binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 20, 2018, 09:08:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Innovation, that's what you need.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Innovation, that's what you need.  (Read 8667 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 29, 2012, 08:27:28 PM »

A thread for games that dare to be original.....or even slightly innovative  BunnyMonkey!

I saw a demo of this a couple of years back and thought it had disappeared but now it's coming to PS3 & Vita.  Looks like a pretty cool gameplay mechanic if they can design some clever puzzles around it.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 10:55:06 AM »

Yeh, thats pretty cool.

It will be interesting to follow this thread.

I imagine there will be far more original idea's in games than i give them credit for.

I often think originality is dead, until someone comes up with an original idea.   Roll Eyes

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »

I often think originality is dead, until someone comes up with an original idea.   Roll Eyes
Grin

I've been playing around with a bunch of these Vita augmented reality games and they have a number of new-ish ideas in them.  As with everything AR that I've tried though, it still feels like tech in search of that one great idea that proves it's not just suitable for fancy tech demos.

Having said that I'd love them to expand the car track demo and turn it into a full blown Scalextric game.

prince caro 19
100 XP

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 04:22:28 AM »

http://www.krillbite.com/ats/
I was just reading about Among The Sleep, a first person horror game where you play as a 2 year old, thought it seemed relevant to the subject of originality in games.  Smiley   
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 10:19:13 PM »

http://www.krillbite.com/ats/
I was just reading about Among The Sleep, a first person horror game where you play as a 2 year old, thought it seemed relevant to the subject of originality in games.  Smiley   
It certainly is.  I certainly don't recall many games where you play as a child and certainly no FPS horror games  Tongue

It's not entirely a gimmick either as just looking at the WIP video shows what a different perspective it puts on things.  Moving the viewpoint changes everything.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 01:44:12 PM »

I like this.  I'm playing Karoshi on PSN (there's also an iOS version) and at first glance it's an old school single screen platformer.  The big difference is that on each screen you have to find a way of killing yourself.  Kind of the exact opposite of what the aim in a traditional platformer is.

It's not a wasted gimmick either.  Some of the levels are brilliantly designed.

More games should try this approach.  What does genre x expect from the player?  Right, let's do the opposite.  BunnyMonkey!

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 03:23:11 PM »

that ar track game , makes me think it could be cool to make it so you could flick cars off by moving the targets LOL

or make it so looking at any line patterns liek a actual raos map puts cars on it .. LOL ..
how long befor toy mfrs. make toys that trigger AR ,, like wee gi joe's that thier wee guns shoot lazers , and the like.
LOL

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 05:37:56 PM »

or make it so looking at any line patterns liek a actual raos map puts cars on it .. LOL ..
Sony already have marker-less AR working so I'd guess it wont be long before something that uses other references for track generation is technically possible Smiley

how long befor toy mfrs. make toys that trigger AR ,, like wee gi joe's that thier wee guns shoot lazers , and the like.
Already done to an extent.  Sesame Street or not, it's super cool.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 07:33:47 PM »

Here's another I've been playing on Vita (wors on PS3 & PSP too) .  It's called Velocity and while it looks like a shmup and has some shmup elements, it's more of a collect-em-up with a cool teleporting mechanism.  The video shows that off far better than I could explain it.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »

Reminds me a lot of my game actually.  Tongue

Yeh that teleporting mechanic looks quite neat.

TMC

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 07:33:33 PM »

Yeh that teleporting mechanic looks quite neat.
Yeah it's a neat idea and importantly the level design is just as good and make full use of it.  I doubt it was much fun designing and testing those levels after a while.   Tongue

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 01:46:06 PM »

Pfft.  Painting the game screen is such a stupid idea.  Smiley

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »

lol,  like uh ,,, yep , don't need that .

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 01:20:22 PM »

This is a neat idea.  It obviously needs a bit more variety, but the whole mirroring the level geometry thing is nicely done.

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 12:25:12 AM »

that was cool

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
Jump to: