binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 12:59:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The Crap Game Design Document
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Crap Game Design Document  (Read 15935 times)
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 03:16:39 PM »

Yeh, i have heard of the games and read a couple of reviews.

The wait times sounds quite frustrating.

I don't think anyone likes to be kept waiting.

It's one of the problems i have with Richard Burns Rally after a crash, having to wait for the animation sequence before i can resume play.

Waiting just interupts gameplay and generates frustration.

The unlockable game speed option sounds like a desperate attempt to add some longevity to the game.
Encouraging players to play on to unlock the feature where otherwise they might give up.

TMC
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:18:58 PM by T_M_C » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2013, 09:04:25 PM »

Hoy Dirt3, hows about letting me race FFS.

When it lets you the racing is top fun with plenty of variety....Rallying, Rally-Cross, trucks racing....all the usual different venues and surface types.....a choice of cars from the 60's through to modern day.  Very good.

So why is it hidden behind the menus an cut-scenes they are obviously so proud of?

This is a list of steps needed to start a tour race after loading...

• Press start
  • View Autosave warning screen
  • Select "OK"
  • View Purchase VIP Pass screen
  • Select "Buy Later"
  • Select "Dirt Tour"
  • Select season
  • Select location
  • Select event
  • View Event Details screen
  • Press X
  • Select car
  • Select livery
  • Loading.....still loading...
  • View intro movie...thank god it's skipable
  • Select "Vehicle Setup" (*)
  • Select "Preset"
  • Select "Recall"
  • Select reqd set-up file
  • Select "Race"

(*) Rather brilliantly it forgets your car set-up between every race so even if you have a prefered set-up, as I have, you need to load it every time you race.  And that's not just once before a Rally starts, but before every single stage.

A typical modern Codemasters title really.  Great racing, horribly intrusive menus and so many of the simple things done wrong  BunnyMonkey!

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2013, 04:28:12 AM »

Ugh. Will avoid then.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2013, 10:15:29 AM »

Ugh. Will avoid then.
It's more frustrating than anything.  The racing itself is really good and if you can pick it up cheap it's still worth a look.

Incidentally it's a shame racers seem to be following trends in other games and having less and less content, in this case tracks.  The old Colin McRae games had 5x as many rally stages as this has.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2013, 10:25:01 AM »

Ohh, i totally agree with you Fog.

Wading through tonnes of menu's is a personal pet hate of mine.

Nearly every racing game i've played forces you to wade through menu after menu in order to have a quick game.

F1GP is another one.

I know it has a quick play feature, but i like a single non championship race, which forces me through a myriad of menus.

Richard Burns Rally is another one.

Arrgghhh !

TMC
Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2013, 07:34:31 AM »

menu bogg... yuck .

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2013, 08:33:19 AM »

menu bogg... yuck .
The main problem these days is that big projects have designers for each aspect of the game and the Menu Designer is basically showing off so that they get a better job than shitty menu design the next time. 

If the Gameplay Designer did the menus he'd keep them simple and functional because he doesn't want it interfering with his gameplay.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2013, 09:53:39 AM »

True.

You want the player in the game as quickly as possible.

Especially if it's a demo, trial before you buy.

You want to prevent barriers to players buying your game.

I'm all for giving players as many options as they need, but not at the cost of it being a barrier into the game.

TMC
Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2013, 02:58:45 PM »

hell they should just have advanced modes , and flags that stay set when a mode or such is picked .

anything less aborant and lack of pollish

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2013, 02:46:13 PM »

I was going to put Quantu Conundrum in the innovation thread until it really pissed me off.  BunnyMonkey!

Essentially it's a first person puzzle game where you can switch between dimensions essentially changing the weight of objects.  Pick up a light fluffy cube, throw it at a window and then switch to the heavy dimension so the cube changes to steel and smashes the window.

It's nicely done and leads to some almost Portal like puzzling in places.  Very satisfying.

So what's wrong?

First person platforming just doesn't work unless the game is designed to be very generous with its collision and Quantu Conundrum isn't.  To make matters worse many of the puzzles require you to make "pixel perfect" jumps from one 1 foot square box to another.  Try doing that when you can't see your feet.  Tongue

Incidentally why do so many puzzle platformers screw up by making the platforming unnecessarily hard?  Are you writing a puzzle game or a platform game?  Make your mind up.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 02:49:02 PM by fog » Logged

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2013, 09:45:42 AM »

I like the sound of that weight game mechanic.

Pity the platforming spoils it though.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2013, 02:45:45 PM »

Why is picking stuff up in the otherwise brilliant Farcry 3 such a chore?

They've made such an effort elsewhere.  You can craft new items anywhere rather than only at certain locations like in most other games, you are never more than a short run from a shop and when sprinting your character doesn't have an asthma attack and grind to a halt every 50m.

Then when it comes to the simple act of picking up items, searching bodies, swapping weapons etc it's horribly fiddly.

Firstly the collision boxes for items are so tiny you will be forced to do a little dance around any item you want to pick up before the prompt appears. Why?  If anything the collision boxes should be stupidly big.

Next the pickup button is also used for reloading so, if you don't want to reload, you have to hold it down for a second before you pick an item up.  That gets old fast in a game with so many collectables.

And for something like money why do I even need to press a button anyway.  When would I ever not want to pick it up?

And then there's the fun you can have trying to search a body.  When you kill someone who is holding a gun then more often than not he's going to fall right next to that gun.  Oh what fun you will have dancing around his corpse trying to get that prompt to change from "swap weapon" to "search corpse" and no matter how careful you are you will constantly swap weapons whether you cant to or not.

It's such a simple thing to get wrong and unbelievable it wasn't picked up in testing.  Maybe that was all done on PC where mouse controls make this a non issue?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:48:32 PM by fog » Logged

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 09:56:20 AM »

It's such a simple thing to get wrong and unbelievable it wasn't picked up in testing.  Maybe that was all done on PC where mouse controls make this a non issue?

Could well be.

Interesting to hear your thoughts, as inventory management is what i'm currently coding.

And i'm endeavouring to make things as simple and easy to use as i can.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 02:26:56 PM »

Interesting to hear your thoughts, as inventory management is what i'm currently coding.

And i'm endeavouring to make things as simple and easy to use as i can.
It's one of my pet hates so you better get it right Wink

The only thing Farcry could have done to make things worse was to turn you inventory into one of those block puzzles where you have to arrange things to fit in a limited space. If I wanted that I'd play Tetris. 

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 09:51:40 AM »

It's one of my pet hates so you better get it right

Wink

The only thing Farcry could have done to make things worse was to turn you inventory into one of those block puzzles where you have to arrange things to fit in a limited space. If I wanted that I'd play Tetris.  

Yeh, Diablo does that, and i always thought it was a bit of a naff way to do things.

Even worse, i thought was the Ultima system, from Origin.
Although i've read a lot of comments from fans who love it, i persoanlly felt it was a right pain in ****.
Ultima had a backpack, where you just dumped all your inventory items into.
All on top of each other and it made for a right mess.
With lo-res tiny icons too.
You often had to spend 5 minutes just rearranging your backpack so you could just get at the most useful items.

On the other hand i quite liked the way Oblivion managed it's inventory system.
Items displayed in a list were quick to navigate and equip / de-equip.
And although i liked the 3d object display in Skyrim for inventory objects, i hated the way they implemented the list system.
I felt that was a step backwards.
Very awkard and the favourites system was terrible.

Hopefully i can avoid all those pitfalls.

TMC
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
Jump to: