binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 08:00:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30167 Posts in 1158 Topics by 194 Members
Latest Member: RobertHedge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The Crap Game Design Document
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Crap Game Design Document  (Read 15861 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2013, 01:47:51 PM »

On the other hand i quite liked the way Oblivion managed it's inventory system.
Items displayed in a list were quick to navigate and equip / de-equip.
Yeah the Oblivion system was ok, although still a slight chore to search through things when using a joypad.  Whatever the system there must be plenty of sorting options an filters.

I wonder if there's a more flexible system for deciding how much you can carry as every system right now seems to be very black and white.  You can either carry something or you can't and, as in Oblivion, if you carry 1 gram more than you should you immediately can't move.

A system that lets you carry anything (within reason) up to a limit and then beyond that your speed and stamina slowly decrease.  Much more realistic and much less frustrating for the player.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2013, 09:53:53 AM »

I wonder if there's a more flexible system for deciding how much you can carry as every system right now seems to be very black and white.  You can either carry something or you can't and, as in Oblivion, if you carry 1 gram more than you should you immediately can't move.

A system that lets you carry anything (within reason) up to a limit and then beyond that your speed and stamina slowly decrease.  Much more realistic and much less frustrating for the player.

It's that problem of realism v fun again.

I find encumberance and limits on what you can carry really frustrating.
I find that if i have to make a choice and drop some gear, i never go back for it.
Which is really frustrating.

Other systems have been used in games to circumvent this.
Teleports back to town and then back to the loot, or loading up a pack mule or another party member and sending them back to town with the gear.

Or a magical endless backpack, where any amount of objects can be placed in it with no weight restrictions.

Just get rid of the encumberance system in the first place.
As it's just a barrier to fun imo.

A hangover from the old D&D system.

TMC
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:57:30 AM by T_M_C » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2013, 10:30:23 AM »

Yeah, not having any inventory limit does away with the problem altogether.  Smiley

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2013, 09:54:52 AM »

And i think all games allow limitless carrying of gold / coins.

Which is bit ironic for the games that use an encumberance system.

I remember a friend of mine had ammassed a couple of million in gold in Oblivion, and was still allowed to carry it around with no penalty.
That must have weighed several tonnes.   Tongue

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2013, 01:14:38 PM »

And i think all games allow limitless carrying of gold / coins.

Which is bit ironic for the games that use an encumberance system.

I remember a friend of mine had ammassed a couple of million in gold in Oblivion, and was still allowed to carry it around with no penalty.
That must have weighed several tonnes.   Tongue
Hah yeah I'd never really considered the weight issue with money.

It's kinda bizarre that in real life every object we interact with has limitations due to weight, shape and quantity and we don't even think about it, yet as soon as you introduce even one of those limitations into a game it becomes horribly fiddly, non-intuitive and time consuming.

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2013, 06:01:11 AM »

LOL .
i hate how some  game shave  IGP for more inventory space .  ie  20 credits gets you 5 more slots , or 2 more kg of  mass.

i understand when kickstarter games give investors bonus  .

but for me  i believe in flat space tech , lol (like Ultra Violet :movie had ) ,, wee black box that can hold as much ammo and  weapons as you need ans everything is reduced to 2 dimensions in it . if one profile of the item was within the profile of the  flat space container .. it fit no matter what .

~ as a trainer/cheat builder back in the day  , that was the most requested hack/ cheat . unlimited  space/inventory .
next to  god mode and unlimited ammo ( mo last is linked to space ) .

first one i made for falout 2 was all a thing that mad any item in my inventory weight 0.001  is game set mass. LOL

now i  don't care as long as it is not noticeable . or actually improves game play (rare)

i tend to like the scifi based fps  so credits are digital , but i was just thinking how one game only let you have 1 knife , but you could have 500 7.62 rounds all day ? seems dumb .

i do like games where your character may have issue sin game if  you are scanned an found to have special items in your inventory , ie makes you a pirate or thief  , smuggler .. but  other than that some game are hard enough .

titan quest is one that suffers PITA item picking up . you have to click anything you want and uses old style locked slots .
i find it detracting form game to have to teleport back to a village and go to a merchant to sell stuff every 5 min . LOL
~ one  humble bundle game i had and liked you had a 'pet' that could make runs to the store for you to sell at average market price . LOL  "torchlight ?  IIRC

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2013, 09:56:03 AM »

Yep, a lot of good points there Prime.

I remember in World Of Warcraft, you can buy bigger bags with more item slots to hold more gear.
So it's pretty important to upgrade your bags as soon as possible, otherwise you're leaving loot and gear behind all the time.
Which really slows up progress.

Good point about the digital credits in sci fi games.
Being electronic of course, has no weight.

~ as a trainer/cheat builder back in the day  , that was the most requested hack/ cheat . unlimited  space/inventory .

Right.  I can well believe that.
It's just a barrier to fun imo.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2013, 11:07:17 AM »

I really liked the system in Farcry 3.  Rather than just paying money to buy bigger bags and increase your inventory size, you had to hunt animals for their skins to craft into bigger bags.  That made increasing your inventory size fun and gave hunting a real purpose.

Crafting of anything, bags, weapons, potions etc is way more enjoyable than the usual....collect random object...sell object for cash...use cash to buy object. IMO Smiley

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2013, 10:13:28 AM »

Yeh, you could craft bags in Wow as well.

The trouble there is, that you were only allowed two crafting professions out of about 6 i think.

So you could craft your own, or do what most did and take a trip to the auction house and buy one of player crafted bags instead.

They were always pretty dear though as i recall.

TMC
Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2013, 09:10:05 PM »

what i wish some rpg and such has was :
auto pickup all safe items in sight ( if battle is over or such safe state )
+ highlight  items  if say tab or caps lock is on ..

i hate hunting pixels for a poorly placed item that may have dropped or  poped out of  a chest , or when looting / policing bodies.

:: in a old space sime  that i forget the name , you could buy a module that scanned , and auto tractor beamed all useful things in range if you went slow enough  . ( there was almost no limit on cargo .. almost )

& it had a auto stack feature so items were  'stacked up rather  than just 1x all over the place .

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2013, 09:51:27 AM »

I like the idea of tractor beaming stuff.
Have you been following the developments of Elite Dangerous Prime.

http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

Latest newsletter.
http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=ffe2385d13&e=9cc4f33848

And stacking items can be really useful too.

I see in Shroud Of The Avatar they using two inventory methods.

First is the traditional Ultima system, where all items icons can be placed anywhere in the bag, even on top each other, the other system uses a grid within the bag.
Catering for both traditionalists and the modern player.

Inventory management is one of those game mechanics that if you get it wrong can really break a game.

TMC
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:55:17 AM by T_M_C » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2013, 12:12:51 PM »

Inventory management is one of those game mechanics that if you get it wrong can really break a game.
Heh yeah, and one of those areas where you'll never please everyone.  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2014, 08:33:37 PM »

The PS4 version of Don't Starve has one seriously awful control set-up.  It should be an relatively simple game to control and yet somewhere they've managed to make it so the player has to use both analogues, the d-pad, all 4 face buttons, both triggers and both bumpers....all at the same time.

As PC games ported to consoles go it's the worst I've played.  Great game....lazy port.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2014, 02:24:08 PM »

Turns out the new Rambo game is an old school lightgun style game.  A bit disappointing as it would have filled a gap in the market for a good mindless 3rd person shooter when every other game wants to be Uncharted.

Anyhow it has a cover mechanic which kind of breaks in multi-player because both players control it.  Need to duck behind an object while you reload?  Sorry you can't, unless the other player wants too as well.   Tongue

It does make for some unintentionally funny gameplay though.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2014, 04:30:24 PM »

Assassins Creed IV for making me craft one arrow at a time with a little animation between each one.  I can carry about 40 of the things so doing one at a time soon gets annoying.

And pretty much every gameplay element in Assassins Creed IV that was "broken" in the very first AC game and hasn't been fixed in any of the 6 (?) sequels.  The free-running, the combat, the follow and eavesdropping missions, the horrible Animus sections.  Broken.

Any yet I'm still enjoying it mostly  Tongue

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
Jump to: