binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 22, 2018, 06:27:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  The Crap Game Design Document
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Crap Game Design Document  (Read 15945 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2015, 01:24:09 PM »

Currently playing Far Cry 4 and Bioshock Infinite and they both have the same overabundance of look problems.  Everyone like loot, but it has to be meaningful.

Every 5 feet in Bioshock there's a box or bin to search and you really have to if you want enough money to buy decent upgrades.  Why not have fewer searchable areas, increase the value of the loot found and remove the tedium of searching that spoils the flow of the game?

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2015, 01:18:05 PM »

I wish I could assign specific items to active slots in Minecraft.  Like have pick-axes always go in the right-hand slot and when it breaks have it automatically replaced by another from my inventory.

In fact the whole inventory thing is pretty horrible so anything that meant you wouldn't have to spend as much time in there would be a  big bonus.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2015, 03:42:24 PM »

I wish I could assign specific items to active slots in Minecraft.  Like have pick-axes always go in the right-hand slot and when it breaks have it automatically replaced by another from my inventory.

In fact the whole inventory thing is pretty horrible so anything that meant you wouldn't have to spend as much time in there would be a  big bonus.
Yeah, I always hated that. If you can stack dirt, stone blocks, etc. why not let me stack identical pickaxes? Rather then having 5 slots taken up by 5 identical items?

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2015, 02:16:09 PM »

Yeah, I always hated that. If you can stack dirt, stone blocks, etc. why not let me stack identical pickaxes? Rather then having 5 slots taken up by 5 identical items?
Yep.  For a game that relies on the inventory and swapping items so frequently I'm amazed, given the time and money spent on it, the interface has never been improved.

Just put the tools in fixed positions in a row of item slots under the current one and it's already 100x better.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2015, 04:26:32 PM »

Killzone on Vita is a great game and technically amazing, but mapping crouch and sprint to the same button and making it context sensitive is pretty horrible.  I mean they are two complete opposite abilities.

Trying to sprint away from enemies and you'll often find your character crouching on the spot.  Or try and take cover behind a barrier and instead find him sprinting into the open.  Not fun.   Rhino!

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2015, 01:48:17 AM »

Killzone on Vita is a great game and technically amazing, but mapping crouch and sprint to the same button and making it context sensitive is pretty horrible.  I mean they are two complete opposite abilities.

Trying to sprint away from enemies and you'll often find your character crouching on the spot.  Or try and take cover behind a barrier and instead find him sprinting into the open.  Not fun.   Rhino!

That's catastrophically bad. How did that not come out in playtesting?

I nominate GTA V. It's a pretty good game. Story isn't as engaging as some previous titles IMO, but still decent. But it's the freeform and online aspects where I'm disappointed. It's a whole lot of little things they've done that kind of spoil the fun. For example, a big one for me is the cargo helicopter - the Cargobob. In previous games, this thing could lift pretty much any vehicle and they'd stay stuck on hard. In GTA V, they've nerfed it - it's almost impossible to use, very difficult to move cars. So when you want to do fun stuff online with your friends like see how many semi trailers you can stack up before they fall, you can't - it's just unusable. And you can't fly the jumbo jets. And there's a whole lot of other silly little things that they've done that do nothing to improve the game, but they do make it less fun.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2015, 02:15:34 AM »

I nominate GTA V. It's a pretty good game. Story isn't as engaging as some previous titles IMO, but still decent. But it's the freeform and online aspects where I'm disappointed. It's a whole lot of little things they've done that kind of spoil the fun. For example, a big one for me is the cargo helicopter - the Cargobob. In previous games, this thing could lift pretty much any vehicle and they'd stay stuck on hard. In GTA V, they've nerfed it - it's almost impossible to use, very difficult to move cars. So when you want to do fun stuff online with your friends like see how many semi trailers you can stack up before they fall, you can't - it's just unusable. And you can't fly the jumbo jets. And there's a whole lot of other silly little things that they've done that do nothing to improve the game, but they do make it less fun.
Agreed.  They concentrated on making the game world as realistic as possible and that removed some of the fun.

Another thing GTA V did was script the missions way more than in previous games.  They forced you to tackle missions in a set way so they could blend into their lovely cut-cscenes, when one of the joys of previous games was how you could tackle missions any way you wanted.  Sniper rifle, stealthy, rocket launcher or just run everyone over.  man

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2015, 02:33:49 AM »

Agreed.  They concentrated on making the game world as realistic as possible and that removed some of the fun.

Another thing GTA V did was script the missions way more than in previous games.  They forced you to tackle missions in a set way so they could blend into their lovely cut-cscenes, when one of the joys of previous games was how you could tackle missions any way you wanted.  Sniper rifle, stealthy, rocket launcher or just run everyone over.  man
Ugh, yeah. I've been playing GTA Online a lot, over 100 hours, as I have 5 friends who are on most nights. The one thing that sucks for me is how gosh darned samey the missions are. Go to X, shoot 100 baddies. Grab McGuffin, go to Z. Just the same thing over and over and over. Repeat the same 6 missions every night if you want to make money. YAWN.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2015, 09:29:51 PM »

I'm not sure I need to expand on this as if you've played Fallout 4 you'll know what I mean, but the Pip-Boy interface is bloody horrible.  For a game that demands so much inventory juggling, there must be a better way to design the interface.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
Jump to: