binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 20, 2018, 09:15:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  VR....it's virtually a reality.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VR....it's virtually a reality.  (Read 12398 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 12, 2012, 02:43:10 PM »

Some interesting developments recently that make a mainstream affordable VR solution more and more likely especially now that someone like Carmack is involved who can provide the software to go alongside the hardware and get the best out of both.

I love listening to Carmack talk.  He's such an unashamed geek and has infectious enthusiasm.  BunnyMonkey!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:46:47 PM by fog » Logged

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:55:43 PM »

And about time too.

Mr Carmack is a true legend.

I  recently had a look at the Doom and Quake Source whilst doing some research and was mightily impressed.

ID always release their source code to the public after a certain length of time.  There can't be many dev's who do that.  Certainly none as high profile as ID.

You know i've been harping on about VR for years now, it's the one area of hardware development i'm truly suprised and frustrated hasn't made into the main stream gaming market.

I hope John Carmacks involvement and high profile can really move the system into the gaming market.

All it needs is a high profile dev to support the system and others will follow.

The hardware needs to drastically come down in price though.

The sub 100 mark would ideal.

Fingers crossed.

The VR system shown in that vid looks a tad laggy to me.  I wonder how noticable that is when using it.   Roll Eyes

TMC
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:59:45 PM by The_Masked_Coder » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 10:34:29 PM »

The hardware needs to drastically come down in price though.

The sub 100 mark would ideal.
Agreed.  When you're still talking several hundred dollars for a kit you build yourself then it's never going to have mass appeal and that's what it needs to get software developer support.

The VR system shown in that vid looks a tad laggy to me.  I wonder how noticable that is when using it.   Roll Eyes
He spends quite a while talking about just that problem and how he's improved it although that would suggest it's still slightly noticeable in use.

It shouldn't be a huge problem to overcome.  I'm assuming the Wii U doesn't have major problems with lag and that's doing something similar ( sending motion sensor input to the console/pc which then sends an image back the other way).

Still, considering how tech has advanced i other areas it seems strange we are still having this discussing 25 years after Tomorrows World showed VR.

las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »

I think this might belong here...
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/16/3090944/microsoft-xbox-720-kinect-2-kinect-glasses-doc-leak-rumor

edit: wtf? this thing embedded a totally different video at first...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 05:31:17 PM by las6 » Logged

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 06:50:29 PM »

Thanks for the link.  I saw a link to the PDF earlier but wasn't going to read all 50+ pages of it so it's nice to see a breakdown of what is in there.

I'm not convinced it's real though and even if it is it's from a couple of years ago and a lot has changed economy and tech wise since then.

And I really don't see enough use for AR glasses in general gaming.  Now VR would be a whole lot different.

edit: wtf? this thing embedded a totally different video at first...
lol.

Reminds me of a strange bug I have in Firefox.  Every so often it will start playing the audio from a Youtube vid I watched long ago. Tongue  I cleared all my temp files etc and it didn't help.  All that happened when it next happened was it played the audio from a different vid.  Mighty strange.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 07:23:11 PM »

Looks like this is really going to happen.  There's a Kickstarter already at $1m for this VR headset now and when it goes on sale it will be almost half the price Carmack estimated.  Still not exactly cheap, but if VR is to take off it needs to start somewhere Smiley

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 06:38:01 AM »

Cool.   Smiley

Exciting stuff.

The actual hardware, design wise, looks really cool as well.
Which has probably helped convince investors.

TMC
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:40:25 AM by The_Masked_Coder » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 05:55:12 PM »

Cool.   Smiley

Exciting stuff.

The actual hardware, design wise, looks really cool as well.
Which has probably helped convince investors.
Yeah I think what VR really needs is a project like this to be successful and prove that affordable tech is up to the job and that there is a market out there for VR.

Do that and you know other big companies will jump on board as they look for the next big thing to sell.  I'd love to see one of the next gen consoles out next year to support it as standard, even if the VR hardware isn't bundled with the console.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 02:45:45 PM »

Man I hope the various rumours are true and we are finally going to get affordable VR with decent software support.  A number of companies are known to be working on it so surely it's just a matter of time.

Too early to bundle a headset with the next round of consoles, but I wouldn't be surprised if they supported it from launch.

This new Sony headset has 2x 720 OLED screens supporting 3D and AR.  The way they blend the with reality in this vid ( after the Resi advert) is superb.  Imagine the horror game potential.  BunnyMonkey!

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 05:39:43 AM »

Cool.

It's good to see VR gaining momentum now.

Fingers crossed it doesn't stop.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 05:25:30 PM »

It's good to see VR gaining momentum now.

Fingers crossed it doesn't stop.
It's here, it just depends on sales and public interest to govern how much is invested in it and how quick it takes off.

This has always been something of the ultimate dream for gamers so I would imagine bit takeup there.

Once costs drop Sony could easily market it as a cheap way of getting 3D TV.  Sure the headsets are bulky, but they will only get smaller as time goes by and I'm guessing they could make them smaller already, it's just a cost issue.

If the next XBox or PS4 supports it I'll be there day 1.  Kang-a-roo!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 11:20:41 AM »

Combine something like this with these new VR headsets and it would be awesome.  Motion controls when done right can be great and being able to reach out and accurately manipulate any game object and still have physical controls for movement, firing guns etc is a great combination.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 06:08:27 AM »

That looks quite neat.

I'm not sold on it though.

I much prefer a duel analogue joystick.

Or even better mouse and keyboard.

I personally don't want to be waving my arms about when playing a game.

I would however love a VR headset to get really emmersed in the game world.
And i think at the moment a duel analogue joystick would work best with a headset.

Good to see new hardware innovations though.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 09:43:49 AM »

I personally don't want to be waving my arms about when playing a game.
Neither do I Smiley  I don't mind small gestures though even if it's just aiming or pointing a torchlight.

I actually think that along with a VR headset the motion controls will feel a lot more natural and enjoyable.

I much prefer a duel analogue joystick.
The controllers in that vid are just Playstation Move controllers so already have dual analogues and all the normal triggers and buttons along with the motion controls.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 10:43:33 AM »

There's a good piece on The Verge about this Oculus Rift which, aftr their successful Kickstarter, is now shipping to developers.  They are shipping some 10,000 dev kits so this is quite a significant step in making VR a reality.

Plus they talk about the improvements they will have to make before they are ready for a real consumer model. 

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/19/4122388/can-oculus-rift-save-virtual-reality#

I didn't realise the creator and founder of the company Palmer Luckey is only 20!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
Jump to: