binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 20, 2018, 09:16:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  Kickstarter
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kickstarter  (Read 15675 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2014, 07:08:40 PM »

Satellite Reign (the new "Syndicate") is looking fantastic.  That lighting  Smiley  Gameplay looks faithful to the original with modern touches you expect these days.  One of my better choices to back.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2014, 02:18:24 PM »

Man there's some incredible stuff on Kickstarter these days.

This is one entire pitch.  He couldn't even be bothered to give it a name. Grin

Indie game

It is going to be a fast paced 2D Indie game where you can fight monsters and complete levels i might actually add some guns to it too

Ofcourse it is just a small video but that is because it was created today and the game is not very big, so this is why i am starting a kickstarter and with the money i can buy more assets and expand the game.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1670070225/indie-game?ref=discovery

20 goal
Wow.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2014, 12:22:59 AM »

Haha, wow.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2014, 10:43:50 AM »

There are some awesome ones.  Loads basically say "buy me a new computer"

"What? Three thousand dollars for a COMPUTER??" - Yes. If I'm going to get a computer, I'm going to get a good one that I KNOW I can do what I need to do, play games I want to play, and run programs I want to run.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/148847417/help-build-a-youtuber?ref=discovery

I am passionate about computers, gaming, YouTube, Photoshop, and more. Unfortunately I don't have a computer that supports the software I need to continue to learn and grow. With your support and donation, I will buy a new computer, software, and other items needed to help me continue learning graphic arts, computer programming, and ultimately entertaining others with my digital creations!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/469264203/youtube-gaming-channel-computer-upgrade?ref=discovery

I hate this modern culture of people expecting something without putting in any effort.  Like the world owes them.  Sorry, I'm an old git.  [/mini rant]

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2014, 03:34:30 PM »

I'm not sure that's a modern culture so much as it's more visible when there's so many new ways to stick your hand out and beg in supposedly "acceptable" ways?

Launching a crowdfunding campaign myself this week. Get keen!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2014, 04:23:01 PM »

I'm not sure that's a modern culture so much as it's more visible when there's so many new ways to stick your hand out and beg in supposedly "acceptable" ways?
Yeah that's a great point.

In a similar way I always think the likes of Facebook & Twitter have made some think people care about every random thing they do, but it's probable they have always been like that and social media just gives them a new outlet.

It just takes one person like that on Twitter to make it almost unusable.  I want a version where users only get 3 posts per day  Tongue

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2014, 07:36:51 PM »

I notice launching additional Kickstarters from already funded projects is becoming a thing.

Mighty No.9 raised $4m dollars, which was 427% of what they wanted, and have still launched a new Kickstarter phase to raise an additional $100k for English voices.

What the hell have they spent the $4m on?  So they got near $3m more than they originally wanted and they still haven't budgeted for English voices?  Taking the piss out of their backers somewhat me thinks.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2014, 03:42:31 PM »

http://yourkickstartersucks.tumblr.com/
somebody's paying them out for you (Y)

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2014, 06:24:31 PM »

http://yourkickstartersucks.tumblr.com/
somebody's paying them out for you (Y)
Haha.  Well someone was bound to do it.  There's so much crap on Kickstarter now it's beyond funny.  It's just a lot harder to find decent projects now than it used to be.

And of course high profile failures like the current YogCast mess wont help Kickstarter in the long run.  $500k+ squandered and a huge chunk of it "missing", nobody accountable for it, project creators making a nice pot of cash while delivering nothing and thousands of backers out of pocket.

Kickstarter's attitude seems to be they don't care.  As long as a project gets funded they get their cut and couldn't give a toss what happens after that.  That's the sort of short term thinking that will see everyone move to one of the emerging rival services where backers get a bit more legal protection.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2014, 12:05:50 PM »

A wild west X-Com by the Call of Juarez devs?  You have my attention...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1752350052/hard-west

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2014, 10:40:22 PM »

I see everyone is reporting Kickstarter funding for games has fallen by 50% this year.  I said a while back the bubble would burst soon for a couple of reasons.

There are a few negative factors.  The games that were funded and then the devs went AWOL with the cash and, possibly even more damaging, the high profile games like Godus that failed to deliver on their KS promises and pissed everyone off.  And of course like everywhere else now it has been flooded with crap projects that make the good ones harder to find.

And "Early Access" (urgh) has become a big thing in the last year which kind of does away with the ned for KS.

Mind, given the huge sums of money a few big projects got from Kickstarter last year, it could just be that there haven't been as many big projects this year rather than a sign the beginning of the end for Kickstarter.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2014, 12:11:41 AM »

Yeah, not a huge fan of Early Access. I tend to tire of the game before it's done :/

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2014, 01:52:39 PM »

Yeah, not a huge fan of Early Access. I tend to tire of the game before it's done :/
I find the whole concept a bit strange.  Imagine if movies, music or books were funded like that and what they would look and sound like?

This looks neat....
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kenburns/tinyscreen-a-color-display-the-size-of-your-thumb

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2014, 01:01:43 PM »

So Molyneux is blaming Kickstarter for the failure of Godus now saying it is "very destructive to the final quality of the game"  Tongue

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/molyneux-kickstarter-is-a-destructive-force-that-damaged-godus-1275205

I found a couple of other quotes interesting when you consider them together.
'Here's the idea, give us the money so we can turn it into a game'," he added. "I don't think that works. Because I think what ends up happening, and what ended up happening with Godus, is that people get a view of what the game is going to be like from what you've said here, and that view is quite often different from what the final game is."
"There's this overwhelming urge to over-promise because it's such a harsh rule: if you're one penny short of your target then you don't get it. And of course in this instance, the behaviour is incredibly destructive, which is 'Christ, we've only got 10 days to go and we've got to make 100,000, for f**k's sake, lets just say anything'.
That's basically him saying "the final game doesn't look anything like the Kickstarter pitch because we just made it up to make sure they got the money" isn't it?

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2014, 01:08:38 AM »

Molyneux is always so flaky.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
Jump to: