binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 05:32:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30168 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  Kickstarter
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kickstarter  (Read 15663 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2015, 10:18:39 PM »

Had said I would avoid any more Kickstarter or Early Access games, but couldn't resist "Grip".  A spiritual successor to one of the greatest racing games ever made, Rollcage.

They are asking for a hell of a lot of money though so fingers crossed they make it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/169002413/grip-an-intense-futuristic-combat-racer?ref=category

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2015, 03:01:14 AM »

Rollcage was so awesome. Keeping an eye on this.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2015, 03:19:49 PM »

Rollcage was so awesome. Keeping an eye on this.
Too late, it's cancelled.  Never looked like it would reach their target (which was pretty ambitious) so they are going Steam Early Access instead.  Tongue

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2015, 05:53:08 PM »

Kickstarter dev made to pay for not delivering.  BunnyMonkey!

State court orders Kickstarted game creator to pay $54k for failing to deliver

Seems a unique case that applies to Washington State only and is t do with the non-delivery of rewards as opposed to the actual project, but it does set a president for future cases.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2015, 02:24:33 PM »

Not really Kickstarter, but Early Access and one game I have never regretted backing is Prison Architect.  It's the best "Theme..." game I've played.

Anyway the first full version is now available and highly recommended if you don't have it already.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/233450/

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2015, 02:45:25 PM »

I do own the game but have never gotten around to playing it. Good on them for getting it to this stage. I've enjoyed their updates!
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2015, 02:27:22 AM »

Not really Kickstarter, but Early Access and one game I have never regretted backing is Prison Architect.  It's the best "Theme..." game I've played.

Anyway the first full version is now available and highly recommended if you don't have it already.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/233450/
Looks TASTY! I should have gotten this while it was cheap from Humble recently. Soon I will play this and throw up a video I reckon.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2015, 09:29:25 PM »

I'm sure I only paid about 5 for it a year or so ago.  I'd happily pay full price for it now though.

It's one of those games where, when it inevitably goes tits up, you're convinced you have a foolproof plan for the next prison's design.

And sometimes you get close....and then there are too many prisoners and you have to expand and your beautifully designed layout collapses.  Fights in the canteen as there isn't enough food, queues for the showers, dead bodies in the exercise yard which is now a no-go area, someone's started a fire in the workshop, a generator cuts out through overloading and a full scale riot breaks out.  When it goes wrong it tends to do it spectacularly.  But I know where it all went wrong....time to start again.

There are a few good "Lets Play" vids on Youtube.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2016, 10:37:47 PM »

I see Godus and Peter Molyneux have raised their ugly heads again.  Roll Eyes

To recap....

Godus was funded on Kickstarter as primarily a PC game with Molyneaux promising the moon on a stick as usual.

In the end the money seems to have been spent mainly on producing a Free-to-Play mobile game with the PC version officially abandoned.  Understandably all those Kickstarter backers gave the unfinished PC version released on Steam terrible reviews.

That was bad, but recent events stink IMO....

A new game called Godus Wars is now being sold through Steam Early Access for 10-ish.  Turns out it's pretty much the same old Godus game with a few tweaks, but giving it a new name on Steam effectively wipes the slate clean of all the old negative reviews.  Added to that 22Cans have also been deleting negative comments about the "new game" on the Steam forums.

Understandably (again) backers of the abandoned original game are a bit pissed about all of this so have been flooding Steam with negative reviews for Godus Wars too.  Oh and people who have bought the new game have discovered that they only have the first set of levels and the remaining 6 sets are behind a paywall and must be bought separately.

Some might say launching the game with a different name seems a pretty scummy way of wiping out bad reviews and deceiving customers in a desperate money grab.  I'm amazed Steam/Valve allow it.

Oh and the winner of the Curiosity game (remember that?) who was promised a share of income from the original Godus game as his prize hasn't received a penny and, last I read, has given up ever getting any. Crap for him and it also makes you question the way money was taken off all the other Curiosity players too.  Effectively Curiosity was a lottery without the promised prize at the end.  Only in the games industry could you get away with that.

How the mighty have fallen.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2016, 06:51:28 AM »

Wow, I remember when Peter Molyneux was known for releasing high concept games that fell disappointingly short of the mark; rather then for outright fraud.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2016, 02:15:31 PM »

Wow, I remember when Peter Molyneux was known for releasing high concept games that fell disappointingly short of the mark; rather then for outright fraud.
Well it has rather backfired this time.  The "new" Godus game has a lower score on Steam than the original game had (21% vs 33%) as well as the continued damage to his reputation.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
Jump to: