binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 07:51:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30167 Posts in 1158 Topics by 194 Members
Latest Member: RobertHedge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  Documentaries
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Documentaries  (Read 3149 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 08, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »

Got a bit of an addition to watching documentaries recently to pass the time.  Some good some bad and some essential viewing.

Some highlights so far:

The Imposter  - An American teenager turns up in Spain having been missing for 4 years.  As the title suggests he's not the real kid, looks nothing like him and has a strong Spannish accent....so why did the family accept him?  Plenty of twists and a slightly sinister conclusion.  Loved this one.

Bobby Fischer Against the World - A brilliant portrait of a genius and his spiral into madness.  The footage of him at the end as a scruffy old man with a long beard convinced the world is out to get him is a shocking contrast to his earlier super confident, smart appearance.

Senna - I guess most people have already seen this and it needs no explanation.  A genius killed in his prime.  Superb.

Dear Zachary - Initially it doesn't sound that great.  A man makes a film celebrating the life of his friend who has recently been killed to show to his infant son when he grows up.  Then during filming everything takes a sinister twist.  One of the saddest things I've ever seen.

Grizzly Man - quite a famous story this one so not many twists and turns along the way that you wont be aware of, but as a study of a man manipulating the media while on the edge of madness it's fascinating viewing.

I have a few more lined up, but any recommendations?

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 06:48:06 PM »

Cool reviews.

They sound fascinating.

I too like to watch documentaries.

I must have seen thousands over the years.

Can't think of any off the top of my head to reccomend at the moment though.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 01:17:46 PM »

A couple more and something a bit different Smiley

Marwencol - An ex soldier is assaulted in a bar an in an effort to get over the trauma and memory loss starts acting out his life and that of his friends as characters in a World War 2 village using Action Men/GI Joe figures.  Some of it looks fantastic and some of it is downright creepy.

Searching for Sugar Man - Surprisingly ace this one.  Two South Africans set out to find what happened to American Rodriguez, a 70's rock star who outsold Elvis & The Beatles in South Africa, but sold no records in his native US an reportedly committed suicide on stage unaware of his success in SA.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 01:48:55 PM »

Been on a "cult" trip.   BunnyMonkey!

Wako:The Rules of Engagement - Nothing that I didn't know before.  Still seemingly a good account of what went on and the numerous mistakes made.

Jonestown:The Life and Death of Peoples Temple - More interesting than the Waco one as we got to hear a bit more from Jim Jones, his beliefs and the motivations of his followers.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:44:31 PM »

Finally watched Restrepo.  Pretty much what you would expect when following a group of US soldiers in the most dangerous parts of Afghanistan.

The guys themselves come across as your typical hardened army types portrayed by the media and it's not until late in the film that you see the strain finally tell in dramatic fashion.

Horrible stuff on so many levels.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:00:13 AM »

Horrible stuff on so many levels.

It's a pity that recruits thinking of signing up, don't do a bit of research first to find out what they are getting into.

No one talks about the Depleted Uranium poisoning for both military and civillians for instance.

Nice review, but i've no interest in wathing it.

I've also got no interest in watching 'The Hurt Locker' either, even though it won an Oscar.
Just doesn't appeal to me.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 11:32:13 AM »

Nice review, but i've no interest in wathing it.

I've also got no interest in watching 'The Hurt Locker' either, even though it won an Oscar.
Just doesn't appeal to me.
Slightly different really ( aside from me finding The Hurt Locker poop Smiley ) .  One is "Hollywood", scripted and acted, whereas Restrepo is a fly-on-the-wall documentary with real people in real situations ultimately suffering real breakdowns.

It's a pity that recruits thinking of signing up, don't do a bit of research first to find out what they are getting into.
Sadly true.  And the long term effects it will have on them when it's all over.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 11:05:15 AM »

Could of sworn I posted about this last week....

One for us gamers, King of Kong, about players competing to set video game world records.

It's a lot more interesting than it sounds as theses are some serious mind games going on and it goes into detail about the limitations of the classic arcade tech and how players had to exploit holes in game logic.

Excellent even if you aren't a gamer.  BunnyMonkey!

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 10:01:15 AM »

Cool.

I love the sub title.

"Fistful of Quarters"   Grin

I have already watched it, a year or two ago.
Excellent stuff.

I've recently been watching several documentaries about the history of video games on youtube.
Some good stuff on there.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 01:33:34 PM »

I've recently been watching several documentaries about the history of video games on youtube.
Some good stuff on there.
If you find any particularly good ones could you throw a link up mate? Smiley

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 09:45:06 AM »

Sure will.

Heres a tip for downloading youtube films that i use.

If you have the url to a film on youtube, just replace the youtube with the word voobys and click the url.

This takes you to the voobys site where you can download the film in various formats and watch it offline.

Great for repeated viewings.

The best format to save in is WEBM.

But you'll probably have to download a viewer to watch it.
I think this is a straight download from youtube, whereas the other formats convert as they download which can take a while.
The WEBM format downloads very quickly.

I think most modern browsers, like firefox play WEBM natively.

I'm building up a nice little library of films this way.   Smiley

TMC
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:47:10 AM by T_M_C » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »

Heres a tip for downloading youtube films that i use.
Yeah I use BVD which adds a menu to every Youtube page in Firefox.  Very handy Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 01:00:34 PM »

With the Ashes coming up I watched the old 40 Minutes documentary on The Bodyline series.  Strange to believe that all those years ago a sport could lead to such a big international incident.

I've just grabbed the dramatised version too which I remember really enjoying when it was first aired.  Good viewing even if you don't like cricket.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086672/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 10:18:40 AM »

Yeh, i saw the Bodyline when it aired on BBC the first time.

Interesting stuff.

I've never been a big cricket fan.

Used to love playing it though, in the street with my neighbours.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 12:14:43 PM »

I've never been a big cricket fan.

Used to love playing it though, in the street with my neighbours.
It's always too wet up here to play cricket   Tongue

I enjoy watching England and I'm really looking forward to the Ashes.  Strangely though I can't think of anything more boring than watching county cricket.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to: