binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 22, 2018, 06:31:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Sham City
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sham City  (Read 6403 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 09:00:26 PM »

Feel that PR in damage limitation mode.  BunnyMonkey!

EA Labels President Calls DRM a "Failed, Dead-End Strategy," Says SimCity "Plays Like an MMO"

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 02:35:42 PM »

Played Sim City total about 25 hours. Got to the point where I got my trading working again by playing with roads to get stuff to route better. Got the next level of oil buildings etc. But then that's all the game was. It was just about maximising my plastic output. Or oil output. Or whatever. And that's a really awesome mechanic to add on to Sim City for sure. I dug it so much. But the thing is the city sizes are so small that... there's just nothing to do. It's not worth pouring lots of time into a city because there's not really much you can do to make it interesting or develop it because the sizes are so small. Playing a giant map in 3K was rad, because it'd take forever to build up and you'd get given more buildings and stuff and that was cool (though seemingly random). I was so thrilled when I got to 300,000 population! Got to 160,000 in the new one but it's just... eh. If you take out the maximum loans you pretty much fill the entire city map within an hour of play. Not much you can do to make it interesting. Sad

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 10:08:51 PM »

Played Sim City total about 25 hours. Got to the point where I got my trading working again by playing with roads to get stuff to route better. Got the next level of oil buildings etc. But then that's all the game was. It was just about maximising my plastic output. Or oil output. Or whatever. And that's a really awesome mechanic to add on to Sim City for sure. I dug it so much. But the thing is the city sizes are so small that... there's just nothing to do. It's not worth pouring lots of time into a city because there's not really much you can do to make it interesting or develop it because the sizes are so small. Playing a giant map in 3K was rad, because it'd take forever to build up and you'd get given more buildings and stuff and that was cool (though seemingly random). I was so thrilled when I got to 300,000 population! Got to 160,000 in the new one but it's just... eh. If you take out the maximum loans you pretty much fill the entire city map within an hour of play. Not much you can do to make it interesting. Sad
I'd looked at loads of screenshots before I realised what I assumed were small towns were actually the maximum size you could build.  That alone ruins Sim City for me.  What were they thinking?  Expand your town DLC incoming.  Tongue

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 02:16:47 AM »

My leading theory is one I saw on... Reddit I think? That this was going to be an EA Play4Free game that they then decided to turn into a retail release. Things hint at this like the javascript UI and other things.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 02:20:29 PM »

My leading theory is one I saw on... Reddit I think? That this was going to be an EA Play4Free game that they then decided to turn into a retail release. Things hint at this like the javascript UI and other things.
Now you mention it, pretty much the whole design points to that. 

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 05:55:42 AM »

OMG ! - launching bugy games and lying about status makes me thing of PAINT BRAWL ! lol

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 02:44:39 PM »

Screw the game, SimCity has become a cynically brilliant advertising platform

This is a new one.  DLC that you can't buy and can only unlock if you buy Crest toothpaste.  What a horrible "development"

Make your Sims smile with the Attractions Set—five fun tourist hot spots that will not only make your Sims happy, but bring in more tourists. If you want to plop these playful attractions in your city, you need to be located in the United States and you’ll also need to purchase a specially marked Crest or Oral-B product to receive a code good for all five attractions.

Awful Tongue

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »

I simply do not even

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 09:49:37 AM »

This is getting ridiculous now.   Tongue

By the way, i heard on the radio the other day that the whole IAP situation is being investigated by "the powers that be " to see if they unfairly target children.

Seems as though there is sufficient cause for concern now.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 02:07:22 PM »

I simply do not even
Yeah I can't get my head around it.  Normally advertising helps fund development or free in game content.  This is effectively asking you to pay for in game advertising.  Buy toothpaste, unlock in game product placement.  Boom.

By the way, i heard on the radio the other day that the whole IAP situation is being investigated by "the powers that be " to see if they unfairly target children.
I don't know if they unfairly target children (the colourful simplicity of most mobile games will appeal to kids anyway) , but it is far too easy to buy things from the App store when you have credit  ( I assume that's how most parents buy things on their kids devices so as not to link a credit card). 

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 02:56:18 PM »

man that sux but i have to say it figures .    .. tv would have dome same years ago if they could .
imagine netflix or digital cable taking upc and code in a packagin for one time usage credits.

thats comming .. i can see it .

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Jump to: