binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 10:58:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Steam
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam  (Read 4375 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 23, 2013, 06:32:47 PM »

So Valve are making announcements this week about their plans to take over gaming.  BunnyMonkey!

The big announcement will be Steambox, but today they unveiled Steam OS. Another platform to target?

Steam is coming to a new operating system
As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the
environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself.
SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.
It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

In-home Streaming
You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!

More on the link...
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 10:04:04 AM »

Very interesting stuff.

Like you said in the other thread, Valve have some very stiff competition.

But they're probably big enough now to make an impact.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 08:56:33 PM »

But they're probably big enough now to make an impact.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.
Indeed.  They really need to make it as hassle free and console like to use as possible if they want to expand their market share and appeal to people who aren't already PC gamers.

We should find out tomorrow.  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 09:16:34 PM »

The new Steam controller.  I've ever used anything with haptic feedback so I hope it's good as this looks really limiting for certain game types.  It screams compromises to me.  Regardless, the positioning of the 4 face buttons is horrible.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 10:25:45 AM »

Woa, thats umm, minimalist.

Looks nice though.

I really want a joystick in my hand though.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 01:42:35 PM »

I really want a joystick in my hand though.
Agreed.  Some games need a mouse and keyboard, some twin analogues, some a d-pad and proper buttons etc.

Any controller you use for a number of different genres is a compromise and this is no different. It just seems more focused on emulating mouse controls than a more traditional console controller.

My other concern is price.  Haptic feedback and a built-in LCD touchscreen?  It could cost as much as a 3DS.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 05:52:41 PM »

Demo of the steam controller.

I'm not convinced yet.  It still looks like a compromise.  Nothing in the demo requires fast responses and the repeated inputs to move the cursor etc makes it look more like a touch pad than a true mouse replacement....and playing a fps with a laptop touch pad is awful.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 10:23:16 AM »

That actualy works a lot better than i thought it would as a twin joystick system.

But doesn't compare to using a mouse.

But then, a mouse doesn't compare to using a trackball.

I guess you could get used to using that steam controller quite easily though.

Kudos to them for trying something different though.

TMC

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 12:28:25 PM »

That actualy works a lot better than i thought it would as a twin joystick system.
I want to see them actually use it in a game deigned for twin joystick and joypad as that's my concern.  Everything in that vid emulates a mouse and the touchpads are always going to be best suited to that.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 08:37:32 PM »

The Steam Machines are ready to roll out to Beta testers.  I assume that means we are still some way off an official public release.

The time has come! We are ready to begin shipping Steam Machines and Steam Controllers to the 300 selected beta participants. The machines are due to leave the factory on Friday!
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements/detail/1930088300965516570

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 12:47:42 AM »

I hope one day to own a company wealthy enough to ship out 300 free beta units...

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 01:00:13 PM »

I hope one day to own a company wealthy enough to ship out 300 free beta units...
lol.  Being able to afford just one of those units for myself would be a start.

Anyway Steam OS is out for anyone with time to waste.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »

Value has unveiled the first 13 Steam Machines at CES.

http://kotaku.com/from-alienware-to-zotac-all-the-steam-machines-with-sp-1495960379

And already the market looks fragmented and confusing.  Prices from $499 to $6000?   Tongue Some people will say choice is a good thing, but without any kind of standardization, even if there were several spec levels, then I fail to see the point.  It wont eat into the console market and an equivalently powered PC seems cheaper.  Hmm.

(we'll ignore the fact these are meant to sit under your TV and mostly look ugly as sin)

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 01:11:50 PM »

I see Steam has added a music library feature now.  Right now they don't sell any and it just allows you to import your own library, but I wonder if this is a sign of things to come?  Will Steam Machines, Big Picture Mode etc eventually be turned into a one stop media machine with Steam offering music, TV and movies as well as games?

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 11:01:05 AM »

Steam have introduced tags to make it easier to find stuff you might like.  Yay.  Unfortunately they've screwed up again by letting users add whatever tags they want. Apart from the obvious abuse of the system that allows for, any tag system that allows an unlimited number of tag names and doesn't restrict them to a list of set values is kind of pointless isn't it?

Here are some of the ones for COD:Ghosts so far  Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Jump to: