binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 19, 2018, 01:34:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  Guest Dev Blogs (Moderator: JDog053)
| | |-+  TMC's - Top Secret Platform Game Blog. Shhh....
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TMC's - Top Secret Platform Game Blog. Shhh....  (Read 4186 times)
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« on: October 03, 2013, 10:08:42 AM »

Love the new project BTW.

Haha, the cat's out of the bag.   Grin

Is that jut your previous editor re-purposed?

Yeh, i've been rewriting it and having a lot of fun too.

I've recently rewritten the collision system,, removing my own line collisions and implementing a polygon system using the BOX2D physics engine.

That has caused a lot of headaches, with things like, crashes happening if the polygons are the wrong order, and yesterday my physics level was upsidedown to my editor level,  Tongue

It doesn't help when all of the Blitzmax examples are OOP spaghetti code and the official docs are all C++.

But it's getting there.

For anyone who's wondering what we're talking about.

TMC

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 10:20:42 AM »

Ooo, nice! Cheesy
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 10:27:44 AM »

Thanks Jdog.  Smiley

Currently caught in a thunderstorm down here in Devon.

I love coding in a thunderstorm.

Very dramatic.  Wink

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 01:47:30 PM »

Love the new project BTW.

Haha, the cat's out of the bag.   Grin
Oh I didn't realise you had posted on Youtube.  Looks like sending Man down to Devon with a zoom lens was unnecessary  Grin

New blog topic time? Smiley

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 10:23:43 AM »

LOL.

I uploaded the video's for a graphic artist to have a look at.

But he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

I'd love to do a cute C64 creatures type of game, but if i can't get an artist i might have a go at a metal slug type of game.

TMC
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 10:25:37 AM by T_M_C » Logged
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 11:49:20 AM »

Metal Slug style game sounds awesome Cheesy
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 05:57:09 PM »

What's the story the TMC? Smiley  Do you have a specific idea in mind or did you just want a small quick project to give you a break from the RPG?

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 09:46:43 AM »

Metal Slug style game sounds awesome

Grin

What's the story the TMC?   Do you have a specific idea in mind or did you just want a small quick project to give you a break from the RPG?

Pretty much the latter really.

Trouble is, my small quick projects seem to turn into mega behomoth's,  Roll Eyes, i definately need to rain in my goals.
It's just so tempting to keep adding features that i usually end up dropping projects when i lose enthusiasm.

I'm just throwing around idea's at the moment, but i'd like to do a platform game.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 07:28:18 PM »

Well you already have the playable core of a platform game so you can now have fun adding features and designing levels.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 09:48:34 AM »

Update
------

This isn't RPG related but i thought i'd post it here anyway as it might be useful.

Over the weekend i came up with a solution to the virtual screen res size and aspect ratio vs physical screen size and aspect ratio problems supporting PC games raises with it's numerous hardware configurations.

Specifically using Blitzmax.

Blitzmax has a vrtual screen mode system, which is independant of the phsyical screen, but from the research i've done, it seems to be a bit buggy and unreliable.
So i'm loathe to use it.

So i've come up with a solution Because Blitzmax allows for realtime scaling of images.

It also has a viewport mode and this viewport mode allows the programmer to define an area of the physical screen that only gets drawn too.

As an example, say i put the physical screen into 1680 x 1050 wide screen mode for my widescreen monitor, i can define a viewport centred on the physical screen with dimensions of 1024 x 768.
This means all drawing only occurs in that 1024 x 768 viewport of the phsyical screen. ( actually it's the backbuffer )
Leaving a blank border around the viewport which makes up the rest of the 1680 x 1050 screen.

This is great, and means i can design my game to fit onto a 1024 x 768 screen and not worry about what parts of the level users will see with different sized screen resolutions.

The only drawback being that you get a small window on the widescreen display to look at.

The solution is to rescale the viewport ( 1024 x 768 res ) so that one of it's extents fit's with the actual physical screen.
Usualy the y axis as this is usualy smaller than the x axis.

And because blitzmax allows me to scale images in realtime, i've written a camera zoom function which allows me to zoom in and out of the level ( rescaling image sizes and positions ).
Which allows me to then rescale my level ( camera zoom function ) by the same amount the viewport is scaled by.

So to recap.
Define a viewport with dimensions 1024 x 768, centred on the physical sceen.
Rescale the viewport and level so that it fits nicely onto the physical screen. ( actualy i leave a small border around the viewport just to be sure )

This usualy means there is a blank border at either side of the viewport ( giving a letterbox ) style of view because of the difference in aspect ratios between 1680 x 1050 and 1024 x 768.

With my minimum physical screen resolution being 1024 x 768.

This works for all resolutions just so long as the minimum physical screen is no smaller than 1024 x 768.

This now means i can design my level for a 1024 x 768 screen knowing all users whatever their monitor and screen resolutions will all see the same thing.

The rescale calculation is just

If screen_size_y < screen_size_x
  camera_zoom# = screen_size_y / 768
else
  camera_zoom# = screen_size_x / 1024
EndIf

Screenshot example

TMC

* viewport_example.jpg (65.93 KB, 1680x1050 - viewed 228 times.)
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 09:50:54 AM »

Haha. Wink

Just realised, this is a new blog.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 05:42:44 PM »

Virtual resolution wise my method is almost identical.  The only difference is that in the example shown in your screenie I increase the virtual x resolution so that it fills the screen without black border and without stretching the image.

Haha. Wink

Just realised, this is a new blog.
Shhhh.  Grin

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 10:57:36 AM »

Ahh ok, i didn't realise you were doing that.

You'll lose the aspect ratio if you scale both axis independantly though.

That doesn't happen with my method, but you do get the borders.

It's up to the user to choose the correct screen mode and aspect ratio for their monitor.

TMC
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 11:03:02 AM »

I just use a percentage based resolution, so everything screen based is positioned between 0.0 - 1.0 and scaled by the width or height. Not perfect but it works Tongue
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 11:55:54 AM »

Ahh ok, i didn't realise you were doing that.

You'll lose the aspect ratio if you scale both axis independantly though.

That doesn't happen with my method, but you do get the borders.
Yeah I'm not bothered about aspect ratio as long as it doesn't impact gameplay.  In 1982 for example I can change the width to lose the black borders and and it makes no difference to gameplay.

It is certainly less painful to design for just one aspect ratio but...

It's up to the user to choose the correct screen mode and aspect ratio for their monitor.
Not an option on most of the platforms I'm targeting Smiley

I just use a percentage based resolution, so everything screen based is positioned between 0.0 - 1.0 and scaled by the width or height. Not perfect but it works Tongue
How are you finding that? AGK can do a percentage based resolution system but the whole idea sounds horribly unusable to me.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Jump to: