binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 20, 2018, 09:12:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  Guest Dev Blogs (Moderator: JDog053)
| | |-+  TMC's - Top Secret Platform Game Blog. Shhh....
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TMC's - Top Secret Platform Game Blog. Shhh....  (Read 4187 times)
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 09:48:10 AM »

Yeah I'm not bothered about aspect ratio as long as it doesn't impact gameplay.  In 1982 for example I can change the width to lose the black borders and and it makes no difference to gameplay.

Yep, 1982 plays well on my widescreen monitor, even though the aspect ratio is off, i don't notice it.
I can see this not being much of an issue with a simple geometric art style.
Might be a problem with other styles though.

I thought you were using AGK's built in virtual screen system and not the method i outlined above ?

How are you finding that? AGK can do a percentage based resolution system but the whole idea sounds horribly unusable to me.

I used a percentage based system for all my menu's in Zytron 2.
It worked really well and i didn't have to worry about what resolutions the screen was in.

I didn't use it for my in game graphics though.
There i just used world to screen transforms, where users with higher resolutions get to see more of the level.
But it made designing the levels a lot more tricky than it should have been.
And i always prefer to play the game in a lower res anyway.
A lower res also gives higher frame rates.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 02:18:55 PM »

I can see this not being much of an issue with a simple geometric art style.
Might be a problem with other styles though.
The art style isn't effected by the different aspect ratios, it isn't scaled or stretched to fit the virtual res so it makes no difference.Smiley

It's just the gameplay orientation that needs to be considered.  In 1982 I fix the vertical screen space so everyone has the same gameplay experience...whereas in Defender the width is critical so I would fix that and scale the vertical to fill the screen.

I thought you were using AGK's built in virtual screen system and not the method i outlined above ?
Kindof.  I was referring to the way you calculate the new screen dimensions.  I do similar and then use AGK to set the resolution I've calculated.  AGK then scales that to fit the screen resolution.

I used a percentage based system for all my menu's in Zytron 2.
It worked really well and i didn't have to worry about what resolutions the screen was in.
Yeah for menus it sounds ideal.  In gameplay though the fact 1 unit(%) in the x-axis is different to 1 unit in the y-axis could lead to all sorts of confusion...or at least unnecessary conversions between %age and pixels.

Never used it though, that's why I was curious Smiley

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 10:04:02 AM »

Ahh ok, so if i'm reading that correctly we are using different systems.

My system uses a scaled crop window on a bigger screen, and re scales all drawn sprites individually to suit.

Your system sounds like your caclulating the physical screen dimensions first, then creating that screen, and the virtual screen (whatever dimensions your using ) gets mapped to the phsyical screen.

It's a bit tricky to try and get my head around it as i've not used AGK, but it sounds like the inbuilt virtual screen Blitzmax has, which i'm not using.

I thought 1982 was stretched horizontally on my widescreen monitor.
Thats why i posted that it looked ok in the feedback.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 07:40:09 PM »

Yeah that's it.

I didn't realise you were scaling each sprite individually.  I really must learn to read Smiley

I thought 1982 was stretched horizontally on my widescreen monitor.
Thats why i posted that it looked ok in the feedback.
Is 1982 actually being stretched horizontally on your monitor then?  There should be no black bars but nothing should be stretched or distorted either.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 09:42:34 AM »

Heres a couple of screenshots of 1982, in 1680 x 1050.

It looks fine on my monitor, the playfield is center, but you are drawing stuff that fills up the whole screen, so i just assumed everything was stretched to fit.

TMC

* 1982 b.jpg (97.66 KB, 1680x1050 - viewed 226 times.)

* 1982_a.jpg (99.95 KB, 1680x1050 - viewed 218 times.)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 07:36:42 PM »

Thanks TMC....that's exactly what I hoped to see. Smiley (the background image is stretched, but nothing else is)

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 10:19:15 AM »

Smiley

TMC
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Jump to: