binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 22, 2018, 06:34:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  Guest Dev Blogs (Moderator: JDog053)
| | |-+  NNG (no name game ) :: ISO 2.5D experiment
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NNG (no name game ) :: ISO 2.5D experiment  (Read 6974 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »

Yeah when you break it down it's a lot of work and graphics are only a small part of it.  It's all the supporting systems you have to build to support sound, text etc that will take a lot of time.

And one of the advantages of OpenGL is its cross-platform use, but to maintain that you need to make sure any external libraries you use will have to be cross-platform too.   Duck!

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 12:38:56 AM »

well i confess i DL teh free Unity , i will tinker a bit .
I have seen great stuff made by Free Unity . that is is big help to see.

i think im stuck on the fence of Unity or totaly free JME3 SDK, but it is java , and a touch older tech . lol

because to i have time to build a engine ? prolly no . lol

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 07:58:49 PM »

I'm not sure I like the way of working in Unity although I'm sure I'd get used to it.

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 03:47:14 PM »

TBH , i have not opened it after making sure it installed.

Aaron and i are bantering ideas about a engine , while its foundations and such are crafted into a tool he can use for his commercial stuff.
we see loads of engines out that now seem to do what we first hoped to do , not quite exactly , but it is encouraging to know we were on the rite track if that counts for anything .

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2014, 01:08:15 PM »

TBH , i have not opened it after making sure it installed.
Ah right.  I looked at Unity again a couple of days ago and have convinced myself that I wouldn't like the workflow.

Aaron and i are bantering ideas about a engine , while its foundations and such are crafted into a tool he can use for his commercial stuff.
we see loads of engines out that now seem to do what we first hoped to do , not quite exactly , but it is encouraging to know we were on the rite track if that counts for anything .
Neat.  There's a crazy amount of languages to choose from right now.

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2014, 04:39:38 PM »

work flow is strange to us old raw code smiths , teh new breed of studio-ized coders seem to like the crosslinked objects with drag and drop .

talking to a young fellow the other day , he had no idea that it was possible to hand code ASM , and that ASM is a accepted coding language , though rare to find people who can still crank a whole app in ASM . LOL

what are they teaching these kids i think.   

the state of NF sort of sucks but woudl not fully stop me from making my 2 current ideas .  just sucks to knwo MAtt may never update it ,  is all .

pure OpenGL is quite daunting to me . As a overhead it would consume too much of my time . I woudl rather learn Java fully and use JME3 SDK , or Unity .
Aarron has great 2d in D3D , and hell many things i cant disclose within arms reach due to work he has done on and for some of the current dev tools he has worked on . Its only lic. 
who knows , possibly im just in summer func . LOL

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2014, 09:33:57 PM »

You're probably right and we are just stuck in our ways.   Smiley

Pure coding will die out and be replaced entirely by these drag & drop things and any fine tweaking will just done via scripts.  Funnily enough that was our dream years and years ago and now it's here I'm reluctant to use it.  I guess I enjoy the process of coding more than I actually appreciated.

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2014, 08:38:50 AM »

thats how blueprints work in new unreal engine or one of those big AA engines. i forget what one, lol  .
they use visual node based coding .( see the node sin blender , but they are function blocks and such )

>> i took a break form coding to force myself to use the new blender , and to test some ideas i had about some rumors i had heard .

that Cycles was handy for game devs to bake textures . but light , shadow and all the rest .

* blenderUI_is_moreconfy2.jpg (256.24 KB, 1352x735 - viewed 229 times.)

* blenderUI_is_moreconfy2b.jpg (140.63 KB, 781x837 - viewed 210 times.)

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2014, 02:41:27 PM »

Nice.  Quite tempted to dabble in a bit of 3D modeling myself now that I don't spend 8 hrs a day doing it at work.

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2014, 06:06:03 PM »

NF / NB is finally getting updates once again.

I have jumped into AVR programming via Arduino . It feels like coding for a C64 or such . now there is environment limits that most of us have long forgotten .

Arduinos are fast enough to make 1/2 rez SD video rite off its standard I/O pins ! lol .
but there are boards that link to other oriented devices. heck you can even mount a 4 inch tft screen.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2014, 12:29:35 PM »

NF / NB is finally getting updates once again.
Has the dev (was it Matt) returned from his long mysterious absence then?

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2015, 02:09:03 AM »

yeah .. its a bit flakey .

I'm working with a guy who is breathing DX11 into blitz and will proabably start with putting GL in it first .

but i dont care as long as i can use C++ in MinGW GCC

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
Jump to: