binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 05:23:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30168 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  Guest Dev Blogs (Moderator: JDog053)
| | |-+  What I Do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What I Do.  (Read 18521 times)
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2014, 08:39:09 AM »

So I haven't really mentioned it here I think, but in addition to trying to make it as a rock star, I knew I had to stay busy in other ways. Nobody's going to take an engineering graduate seriously if all he's been doing for two years is play guitar in a "totally awesome" grunge band, right?

So I started work on something new. Guitar pedals. I've always been keen on creating my own sound, and it seemed only natural to apply my engineering knowledge to take it to the next level and make something out of it.

So I'm launching my first guitar pedal, the Grav-A. Check it out!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:41:46 AM by TheKhakinator » Logged

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 11:14:36 AM »

I have always wondered about you, aside from making some great game music! Will check that out when I'm on lunch Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 05:54:33 PM »

Wow that's pretty awesome. While I know nothing about guitar pedals so can't really comment on that, it's really cool that you've managed to put a project like this together.  Good luck. Smiley

So what are the features that separate one guitar pedal from another?  Like I say, I know nothing Smiley

EDIT:  I was slightly disappointed to see your other website with all this stuff on was down the other day.  I thought you'd stopped doing it, so this was a pleasant surprise. Smiley

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 05:08:28 AM »

I have always wondered about you, aside from making some great game music! Will check that out when I'm on lunch Smiley
Haha, thank yoU! I do try to keep busy, this is one of my main things at the moment. Smiley

Wow that's pretty awesome. While I know nothing about guitar pedals so can't really comment on that, it's really cool that you've managed to put a project like this together.  Good luck. Smiley

So what are the features that separate one guitar pedal from another?  Like I say, I know nothing Smiley

EDIT:  I was slightly disappointed to see your other website with all this stuff on was down the other day.  I thought you'd stopped doing it, so this was a pleasant surprise. Smiley
Yeah, the site was down for a slight refresh and repair.

Thanks! The main features that make this a little special compared to the run of the mill guitar pedals out there is the two-stage tone control and clipping options. Three clipping options allow you to change the shape of the signal, giving three different base flavours to work with. The two-stage tone control allows you to modify the way the tone control works using the "body" knob, which helps dial the pedal in for your particular guitar and amp.

I've gotta do another video that better breaks down the features and benefits of the pedal, keep the momentum up!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 10:03:03 PM »

Ah very cool.  So what other post processing can you theoretically do with a pedal?  Could you reduce the bitrate and make it kinda 8 bit sounding?  Or actually have a CPU in the pedal that changes the sound completely so the guitar effectively becomes a midi input?

It's all interesting stuff Smiley

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 12:00:51 AM »

This pedal's all done with analog hardware, simply distorting the signal by clipping it and adding some tone controls. However, I have some DSP-based pedal plans down the road if things go well here that will do very exciting things very much along those lines.  Wink

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 04:29:36 AM »

sweet . I could never play , but had good friends who could for years , and was always doing custom filters and such , even remote pickups when the prostuff was prohibitively expensive .
( i had the advantage of being a radioshack store manager at the time so raw supplies were all about . LOL )

would be cool to see if you could build a arduino or a knockoff  as a post-processor board , i think it would be fast enough , and there are even blue tooth and/or a wifi shields that could let you stream directly to a laptop or WiFi network or adhoc to laptop at a site .

any rate , cool stuf man .

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 05:04:17 AM »

sweet . I could never play , but had good friends who could for years , and was always doing custom filters and such , even remote pickups when the prostuff was prohibitively expensive .
( i had the advantage of being a radioshack store manager at the time so raw supplies were all about . LOL )

would be cool to see if you could build a arduino or a knockoff  as a post-processor board , i think it would be fast enough , and there are even blue tooth and/or a wifi shields that could let you stream directly to a laptop or WiFi network or adhoc to laptop at a site .

any rate , cool stuf man .
Cheers man! Yeah, I built a DSP platform last year. That'll be our second release, we wanted to start with something a little simpler for our first production run. It's amazing what you can do these days with electronics!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 02:50:20 PM »

This pedal's all done with analog hardware, simply distorting the signal by clipping it and adding some tone controls. However, I have some DSP-based pedal plans down the road if things go well here that will do very exciting things very much along those lines.  Wink
I've no idea what DSP is  Tongue but a quick look on Youtube shows you can do some really cool stuff.  Looking forward to following that development  Smiley

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 04:05:02 PM »

Digital signal processing Smiley So basically, digitizing a signal, playing with it, and then in this case, converting it back to analog. Allows you a huge scope to do interesting things!

A local newspaper has hunted me down... photoshoot tomorrow. Fun!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »

Digital signal processing Smiley So basically, digitizing a signal, playing with it, and then in this case, converting it back to analog. Allows you a huge scope to do interesting things!

A local newspaper has hunted me down... photoshoot tomorrow. Fun!
Oh wow very cool.  man  We demand a link if the article appears online. Smiley

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 06:48:44 PM »

way cool .

I grew up analogue .  i wanted to make a parametric eq just using coils, rheostats/slides ,  resistors and a few slightly expensive but accurate capacitors .
it worked , but that was 20 years ago . lol
i used to make delay coils and filters to make home theater sound before it was just a button  set on the amp.

if I had a site like sparkfun when i was younger , and few bucks who knows what i would have built .

it has been ages since I heard of new launching a electronic device vs software . lol , that is so opposite from the days in my old store .lol

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 09:25:49 AM »

way cool .

I grew up analogue .  i wanted to make a parametric eq just using coils, rheostats/slides ,  resistors and a few slightly expensive but accurate capacitors .
it worked , but that was 20 years ago . lol
i used to make delay coils and filters to make home theater sound before it was just a button  set on the amp.

if I had a site like sparkfun when i was younger , and few bucks who knows what i would have built .

it has been ages since I heard of new launching a electronic device vs software . lol , that is so opposite from the days in my old store .lol

You're so right, all the sparkfuns and arduinos and the internet and such make it so much easier than it used to be! I remember when I was a teenager mucking around with PICs and assembly, oh god  Embarrassed things are so much easier now.

so did you do a lot of audio stuff back in the day? Sounds like you've got some hardcore knowledge!

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 05:43:34 AM »

i was a radio shack employee and manager for some 12 years . lol

i grew up analog , and hacking stuff to do what i want .   
there was a set of note books radioshack sold long before i worked there .
mim's engineers notes . man each one was a course in applied electronics , but they were 5x6 and bound to fit in a mini 3 ring binder .
i had them all.  i had ' things your phone company does not want you to now ' , and rite up to digital stuff . but i never made that jump to connecting stuff to my rig .
mainly it was to make or enchance om R/C creations .
but later i became a car audio nut ,  and home theater installer before most people even knew more than 2 speakers was cool.  << that meant hand winding delay coils and filters . lol

then i found coding , i mean re found coding .

http://www.forrestmims.com/  << i had all his note book format ones , looked like his hand writing and drawings .

now i just dont have the $$ to explore modern maker scene lol .
coding is a touch more forgiving on the budget . lol

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 02:57:49 PM »

coding is a touch more forgiving on the budget . lol
but not on stress levels Smiley

now i just dont have the $$ to explore modern maker scene lol .
It's getting to the point with stuff like Raspberry Pi, Arduino etc will be cheap as chips so we can all tinker with projects we could only have dreamed of years ago.  Robots anyone?  Grin

I want to get some LED strip lights mounted around the big TV like that Phillips Ambilight(?)TV system from years ago....and have my games send colour information to them.  Mono lighting up the whole room would be epic.  man

Actually now that I've said that I really really want to try it.  Hmm.  BunnyMonkey!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Up Print 
Jump to: