binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 01:02:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  Guest Dev Blogs (Moderator: JDog053)
| | |-+  JDog053 DevBlog
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] Go Down Print
Author Topic: JDog053 DevBlog  (Read 457052 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2850 on: January 06, 2018, 02:12:37 PM »

Thanks, that's the one!
Excellent.  I'm a sucker for a good puzzle game.  Smiley

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: January 08, 2018, 10:54:47 AM »

Thanks, well I hope this is a good puzzle game!

I'm tempted to add some powerups to make the game more interesting at the minute it's good but a bit too clinical.
I think powerups earned by doing any of the three game scoring mechanics could add a biit more diversity to the game and either giving a specific powerup or just spawning one at random...
I've been doing a lot of UI work at the minute, completely recoded my system from preious games as it was really clunky, the new system is an IMGUI retained hyprid that allows me to draft much quicker. I will need some opinions on what i've ended up with though!

Still a touch too early to playtest it but it's getting there and my best work yet!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2852 on: January 09, 2018, 03:14:30 PM »

I'm tempted to add some powerups to make the game more interesting at the minute it's good but a bit too clinical.
I think powerups earned by doing any of the three game scoring mechanics could add a biit more diversity to the game and either giving a specific powerup or just spawning one at random...
Two game modes?

Way back when I did DUOtris I originally made it without 'powerups'.  Then I experimented with them and found the game way more fun to play.  

When it comes to puzzle games a lot of people prefer a more pure game than the unpredictability that powreups introduce so I made two game modes.

(BTW avoid the 'negative powerups' I added.  What on Earth was I thinking  BunnyMonkey! )

JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: January 09, 2018, 05:46:04 PM »

That's a good thought

I'm currently at 3 game modes as is, so don't fancy adding any more or any variations on it unless it's necessary.
I'll actually let you guys playtest the gameplay and you can decide whether it needs powerups or not Smiley

I forget that i've been playing the game these last few months so i'm already fully exposed to it.
JDog053
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: January 16, 2018, 12:00:28 PM »

Hey all

Managed to do some more work on the game. I've been working on a wrapper allowing me to release the game as an exe, so far so good the catch is on PC it uses a shell of IE so i've had to optimize the engine for that, the plus side is it will work on everyones machines. This brings me one step closer to a Steam release.

I've been working on some minor bug fixes, and ensuring it's obvious when a bomb is onscreen. I've also added a few other difficulty metrics and changed how the difficulty is altered as the game progresses making it much easier for me to tweak.
My new UI is definitly a saving grace, having gone from 10 classes and 2k lines of code I'm down to a single class with 500 lines of code which is much easier to manage as it's all in one file, super easy to setup and change if need be without having to decant the objects over multiple classes.

I'm working on making the game background a touch more interesting too as on menu screens it's a touch simplistic.

Great fun so far and hopefully some screenshots soon.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2855 on: January 18, 2018, 09:37:52 PM »

'Great fun' is the most important part of that post.  If you lose that then all motivation goes with it.

Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] Go Up Print 
Jump to: