binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 10:56:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  Guest Dev Blogs (Moderator: JDog053)
| | |-+  What I Do.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What I Do.  (Read 18641 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2017, 09:59:43 PM »

I think I mentioned a little while back, I'm not sure - I coded a basic wavetable synth on an Arduino Duo back in 2015. Good times. No envelopes if I remember correctly but it sounded okay and had 8 note polyphony, played over USB midi. Bit of fun but nothing too out there Smiley
Nice. I've a feeling I should know what things like wavetables are when designing a synthy bit of software  Tongue  Ignorance probably means I'm experimenting more than I otherwise would though and in this case that's a good thing.....or so I keep telling myself Smiley

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2017, 12:51:55 AM »

I think I mentioned a little while back, I'm not sure - I coded a basic wavetable synth on an Arduino Duo back in 2015. Good times. No envelopes if I remember correctly but it sounded okay and had 8 note polyphony, played over USB midi. Bit of fun but nothing too out there Smiley
Nice. I've a feeling I should know what things like wavetables are when designing a synthy bit of software  Tongue  Ignorance probably means I'm experimenting more than I otherwise would though and in this case that's a good thing.....or so I keep telling myself Smiley
Haha, yeah sometimes fresh eyes are the best rather then being bogged down with all the assumptions of how to do things already in the field.

Wavetables are literally just a table of amplitude values that describe a wave. You then playback those values at varying rates to create the wave at different frequencies. Gets a little more complex than that but pretty simple Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2017, 08:54:10 AM »

Wavetables are literally just a table of amplitude values that describe a wave. You then playback those values at varying rates to create the wave at different frequencies. Gets a little more complex than that but pretty simple Smiley
Ah right.  I think that's pretty much what I'm doing.  Building an array of frequencies and volumes every time one of the variables are changed by the user.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2017, 09:13:37 AM »

Have a slide....

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2017, 12:06:16 AM »

Have a slide....

hahaha somebody got creative! i can imagine that would be scary to more than a few kids out there...

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/whatuptkhere/a-coffee-table-book-of-supermarket-end-displays

After a few years away, I'm climbing back on the horse. Hoping this is my biggest crowdfunding campaign yet.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #156 on: April 26, 2017, 11:24:10 AM »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/whatuptkhere/a-coffee-table-book-of-supermarket-end-displays

After a few years away, I'm climbing back on the horse. Hoping this is my biggest crowdfunding campaign yet.
Have you sought professional medical help?  Grin

Good luck  man

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: June 25, 2017, 11:42:34 AM »

Back working on the TKIRV rover project this week. Got a speed controller in it now so it's a little more controllable rather than zooming about everywhere.

Hardware's working great. Now I can crawl the thing around at a much more controllable pace in tight areas.

However, the problem is, the original code sent a single byte from controller to vehicle, using four bits, setting bits for forward, reverse, left, and right. This obviously doesn't leave a lot of room for implementing throttle control, or indeed, any other form of commands being sent from controller to vehicle.

I'm going to have to code a more complex messaging protocol, I think, with headers and so on. Should be a bit of fun, albeit quite a bit of work. I think it's better to set out and create a system that's expandable now, rather then hack around, and have to do it anyway when I want to implement more advanced features later, like GPS and so on.

It's really fun once the hardware's working, because then you can just SSH into the rover and grind on the software. Looking forward to it!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #158 on: June 26, 2017, 11:49:06 PM »

Back working on the TKIRV rover project this week. Got a speed controller in it now so it's a little more controllable rather than zooming about everywhere.
Can't believe you had no speed controller in it before  Grin  Even McLaren F1 realise how important that is (when the engine actually works).

You still doing music Lewin?

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2017, 10:18:09 AM »

Can't believe you had no speed controller in it before  Grin  Even McLaren F1 realise how important that is (when the engine actually works).

You still doing music Lewin?

Hahah. Cheesy

Music... sort of. I'm working on a cassette tape that /will/ include some new content that I haven't released before. That said, with my time split between a full time day job, Youtube, and writing and producing video for Hackaday, I find very little time (or, if I'm honest, motivation) to do music. I just don't find myself /wanting/ to do it. My cassette could have come out months ago if it was higher on my priority list but I just don't find myself yearning to do it as much as I do other things.

I may return, one day, but I'm not sure.

The one thing that gets me wanting to do it again is every so often when I do actually listen to music and remember the handful of really good times (rather then the many bad times) I had playing in a band. Such as when I heard this recent cover by Alex Lahey, an up and coming Australian artist who has some great originals too.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2017, 09:19:25 AM »

Torn is a great tune.  Although I went slightly off it when Natalie Imbruglia didn't reply to my marriage proposal.  Kang-a-roo!

Music... sort of. I'm working on a cassette tape that /will/ include some new content that I haven't released before. That said, with my time split between a full time day job, Youtube, and writing and producing video for Hackaday, I find very little time (or, if I'm honest, motivation) to do music. I just don't find myself /wanting/ to do it. My cassette could have come out months ago if it was higher on my priority list but I just don't find myself yearning to do it as much as I do other things.
Yeah I'm not surprised you struggle to find time.  Being talented at so many things is a curse.  Grin  I struggle to find time and I'm only semi-competent at one thing  man

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2017, 04:35:11 AM »

Yeah I'm not surprised you struggle to find time.  Being talented at so many things is a curse.  Grin  I struggle to find time and I'm only semi-competent at one thing  man
Haha, you are too kind  Grin

I'm actually gonna go dig out my guitars from the shed for the first time in 18 months today, so I guess I'll see what happens. XD

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2017, 01:14:08 PM »

Haha, you are too kind  Grin
Yeah calling myself semi-competent probably was a bit kind  BunnyMonkey!

Let me know if you get back into tune making for potential future collaborations Smiley

And you have mail Wink

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: August 05, 2017, 07:41:19 AM »

Becoming an engineer again after an enjoyable stint as a digital marketing coordinator (read: professional Facebooker & videographer). Wrote an article about my experiences.
http://hackaday.com/2017/08/02/why-i-got-the-job/

Now heading to Vietnam for two weeks of holidays which should be awesome fun.  Smiley Not gonna turn it into a big production like chinatrip (which I have one final episode to edit - can't believe it's been 1.5 years already!) but might sneak in a cheeky KFC review while I'm over there. Tongue

Keen to try and bring some fresh energy to my Youtube channel when I get back. My day job has been insanely busy of late and I think I've lost sight a little of what I should be doing. Time to rectify that!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #164 on: August 08, 2017, 02:13:41 PM »

Enjoy Vietnam.  Try and visit that island bar that they went to in Top Gear.  Actually they made a good job of making the whole country look fascinating.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Print 
Jump to: