binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 22, 2018, 06:33:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Feedback
| | |-+  Echoes+ Mac Bug
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Echoes+ Mac Bug  (Read 6345 times)
skape
25 XP

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2015, 02:40:46 PM »

Awesome, very pleased about the Mac version being released! Smiley

However, when I try to run it, I just get a blank (gray) screen...

Mac OS 10.10.1 running on my Macbook Air (mid 2013).

If I can help you track this down, gimme a shout. Smiley

Hey! Got any grapes?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 06:57:19 PM »

Hi skape.  I'll just move this topic to here so it does get lost in my blog crap. Smiley

Well you're the first Mac bug report so hopefully it's not too widespread a problem.  Hardware and OS shouldn't be an issue as I have similar.  It was also tested on a few other machines too with varying specs successfully.

Do you have a joypad of any type plugged in?  One issue we did come across in testing was one of the XBox360 drivers causing a freeze so could it be that?

Thanks in advance.

skape
25 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 01:02:22 AM »

Sorry, should've started a thread here! Smiley

Yeah, I have a wireless 360 controller here, so that very well could be the problem. Strange, as I've used it with my own AGK (T1) apps without crashes.  Undecided

"Tattiebogle" Xbox 360 controller driver, unofficial version 0.14...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:04:04 AM by skape » Logged

Hey! Got any grapes?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 11:46:51 AM »

Yeah, I have a wireless 360 controller here, so that very well could be the problem. Strange, as I've used it with my own AGK (T1) apps without crashes.  Undecided

"Tattiebogle" Xbox 360 controller driver, unofficial version 0.14...
Yeah I ended up getting help off Paul to fix an issue I had when it froze when I plugged my 360 joypad in.  It was freezing when initializing OpenGL before it got to my code.

In the end we found a driver that worked.  I'll check which when I fire up the Mac, but my concern was that on Mac, with no "standard" 360 controller driver, the problem could appear again depending on what users have installed.

Of course it might not be that Smiley so any chance you could try it with no peripherals connected?

skape
25 XP

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 12:44:53 AM »

Hi fog,

I tried it with no peripherals connected and got the same thing: a flicker and then an off-white screen and nothing more.

I think the "Tattiebogle" driver is as close to "standard" for the Xbox wireless controller that you are going to see on the Mac. (Unofficial version 0.14 for Mavericks/Yosemite found here: https://github.com/d235j/360Controller/releases , based off of original here: http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver) And it has worked for several games, including one (and some tests) I am working on in AGK...  Undecided It's strange.

If you'd like me to try anything else, just mention it!

Hey! Got any grapes?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 06:48:16 PM »

Thanks skape.  I'm using the 0.12 version of the Tattiebogle as recommended by Paul.  I'll try that 0.14 version when I get time and see if that's the cause although I doubt it.

As I mentioned earlier, in my case the freeze was happening during initialization of OpenGL so, assuming your cause is the same, I doubt there's much I can do about it so I'll have to run it by Paul again.

I'll see if I get any more reports of problems over the next few days which might help find a common cause.

Thanks for your help and patience.

skape
25 XP

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »

Yeah, no problem! We'll have to see what Paul comes up with. Also, it'll be interesting to see if there are any more reports of this issue  what with the Steam release and all! Bigger audience ho!  man

Also, one more tidbit of info: I don't think the game is "hanging" as such. At least it's not hanging like I've seen some apps do it. You can still quit it with a simple cmd+q...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:33:42 PM by skape » Logged

Hey! Got any grapes?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 10:48:15 PM »

Thanks for the extra info.  I'll see if there are any other reports from Steam.

Even if there are no further reports give me a nudge in a few days as I'd like to find a solution for you.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 12:02:32 AM »

Just so you know it's nothing personal there are a few similar reports on Steam now Smiley

I'll chase it up with Paul when I get their specs.

skape
25 XP

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 05:44:42 AM »

I can't believe I didn't notice until now, but the music / sound fx actually do play during the off-white screen, so it's definitely not crashed (at least not entirely.) Wink

Hey! Got any grapes?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 02:43:25 PM »

I can't believe I didn't notice until now, but the music / sound fx actually do play during the off-white screen, so it's definitely not crashed (at least not entirely.) Wink
I have an idea what the problem is so I'm going to try and get a new test version uploaded later.

flargh
1 XP

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 01:02:45 AM »

Downloaded Echoes+ for Mac from Steam and am having the same sort of problem. Game fires up, I can hear audio, but it's just a big white rectangle. 15-inch early 2013 rMBP with 10.10.2 beta installed.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 01:42:43 AM »

Downloaded Echoes+ for Mac from Steam and am having the same sort of problem. Game fires up, I can hear audio, but it's just a big white rectangle. 15-inch early 2013 rMBP with 10.10.2 beta installed.
Thanks flargh.  I've just sent a new version to someone to test so hopefully we're getting near a solution and an updated Steam release.

skape
25 XP

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 01:26:05 AM »

Thanks for looking into this fog, especially on a freeware game, no less. Smiley

Hey! Got any grapes?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »

Thanks for looking into this fog, especially on a freeware game, no less. Smiley
Well it looks like I might have fxed the Yosemite problem with Paul's help (there's a small issue with the way AGK2 reports resolutions).  I'll upload a copy here later and if all is ok will push it to Steam.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Jump to: