binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 20, 2018, 09:17:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  Synths!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Synths!  (Read 3911 times)
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2015, 01:33:59 AM »

Off topic and I should probably start a synth thread, but have you guys seen the OP-1 from Teenage Engineering? Crayyyyyzy awesome synth.

AaronF
Musical Maestro
500 XP

Hybrid Two

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 01:49:44 AM »

I'm guessing Chris can move these posts to a new thread. I almost picked up an OP-1 a while ago (right before I got my Juno). It is indeed a pretty awesome little synth. It's crazy how many features they managed to pack into it. I like how it looks kinda like those old toy casios too, haha. I'm currently digging the new Volca range from Korg... especially the Keys. It's got a surprisingly huge sound for such a small box.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 06:01:08 AM »

I'm guessing Chris can move these posts to a new thread. I almost picked up an OP-1 a while ago (right before I got my Juno). It is indeed a pretty awesome little synth. It's crazy how many features they managed to pack into it. I like how it looks kinda like those old toy casios too, haha. I'm currently digging the new Volca range from Korg... especially the Keys. It's got a surprisingly huge sound for such a small box.
My mate has all the volcas except the sample, they're super cool. I'm building a simple passive mixer that I'll throw up on Kickstarter soon so people can more easily use them.
Production version will go for a bare-board type design like the Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 10:23:32 AM »

I still think that's a render.  It looks lovely.   Smiley

I'd seen the OP-1 before and thought it was a cheap, plastic midi-controller.  Tongue  Just realised how wrong I was watching one in action on Youtube.

The Volca range looks really cool.  I have a bunch of excellent synths on my iPad, but there's nothing like twiddling knobs on some real hardware.

AaronF
Musical Maestro
500 XP

Hybrid Two

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 05:53:15 PM »

That's a cool idea. Looks great too. Cool I'm actually surprised Korg hasn't come out with a "Volca Mix" yet.

I have a bunch of excellent synths on my iPad, but there's nothing like twiddling knobs on some real hardware.
Have you checked out Korg Gadget on iPad? I've been playing around with it a bit lately. It's a lot of fun.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 10:57:52 AM »

I still think that's a render.  It looks lovely.   Smiley

I'd seen the OP-1 before and thought it was a cheap, plastic midi-controller.  Tongue  Just realised how wrong I was watching one in action on Youtube.

The Volca range looks really cool.  I have a bunch of excellent synths on my iPad, but there's nothing like twiddling knobs on some real hardware.

That's a cool idea. Looks great too. Cool I'm actually surprised Korg hasn't come out with a "Volca Mix" yet.

I have a bunch of excellent synths on my iPad, but there's nothing like twiddling knobs on some real hardware.
Have you checked out Korg Gadget on iPad? I've been playing around with it a bit lately. It's a lot of fun.
Cheers guys Smiley
I spent today playing with my mate's Novation Mininova (think a more modern, hip microKORG) and the volca beats, bass, and keys while shooting for the GMIX launch vid. Much fun. I think my next gear purchase is probably an original Gameboy for the classic chiptune thang. Tongue
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:59:46 AM by TheKhakinator » Logged

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 01:57:16 PM »

That looks really fun.  Unfortunately my iPad isn't up to running it.  Tongue

skape
25 XP

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 02:33:23 AM »

I've got an OP-1. It's a really solid, fun, synth / 4-track recorder. A blast to mess around with, and you can use it for components in an actual track as well. It's really easy to transfer the "tape tracks" to a DAW for further editing / etc.

Hey! Got any grapes?
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 03:01:24 AM »

I've got an OP-1. It's a really solid, fun, synth / 4-track recorder. A blast to mess around with, and you can use it for components in an actual track as well. It's really easy to transfer the "tape tracks" to a DAW for further editing / etc.

That I think is one of the coolest things about it. You can mock a whole track up on the 4 track. Pretty mad.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 11:25:08 PM »

Very tempted to get a bunch of these to play with....

https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/po

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 09:10:16 AM »

They're pretty cool, and while they've got a few limitations, they're mostly to make them more accessible. Also much cheaper than volcas!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 10:14:57 AM »

I should just get myself an Arduino or something and build a device to run Zynth.  Now that would be cool.  BunnyMonkey!

I wouldn't have a clue where to start though so that's one project that will have to wait until I have time to look into it.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 10:14:09 AM »

I should just get myself an Arduino or something and build a device to run Zynth.  Now that would be cool.  BunnyMonkey!

I wouldn't have a clue where to start though so that's one project that will have to wait until I have time to look into it.
That would be awesome. I'm looking at doing something synth related soon myself actually.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 10:29:04 AM »

That would be awesome. I'm looking at doing something synth related soon myself actually.
Excellent.  You can give me some pointers when you've looked into it Smiley

I've had a quick look at Arduino myself and the hardware side of it looks fairly straight forward.  There are a ton of cool input and output devices you can buy very cheaply that just plug in and work (almost anyway).

If I can find a way of getting the device to communicate with a PC and AGK then I'll have a go at building a simple input device before seeing whether I can run the Zynth software on a device too.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 02:34:06 PM »

Excellent.  You can give me some pointers when you've looked into it Smiley

I've had a quick look at Arduino myself and the hardware side of it looks fairly straight forward.  There are a ton of cool input and output devices you can buy very cheaply that just plug in and work (almost anyway).

If I can find a way of getting the device to communicate with a PC and AGK then I'll have a go at building a simple input device before seeing whether I can run the Zynth software on a device too.
Yeah, it's super easy to get started. People have done everything with them already so it's really just knitting other people's code and libraries together these days. You can have the Arduino sending serial data to the PC over USB straight out of the box. Getting it to talk to the PC in any other way gets messy, though. And it depends a lot on what Arduino or similar you're using. I'd recommend starting with the UNO and then if you dig it get a Teensy 3.1. Those are mad cool and powerful, and have superb USB capabilities largely unmatched in the Arduino space.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Jump to: