binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 01:01:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  Survival Horror
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Survival Horror  (Read 2967 times)
AaronF
Musical Maestro
500 XP

Hybrid Two

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2015, 06:03:46 PM »

Yeah I should have guessed Smiley  Proper Survival Horror, not games just filled with zombies, seems to be making a bit of a comeback.  Did you play the PT demo?

Yeah horror games do seem to be making a comeback lately. PT was super creepy but way too cryptic. I know it was intended to be very confusing and difficult to finish because they wanted to delay the big Silent Hills reveal, but I really wish they had just made an entire non-sh related game out of it with a complete story. It could have easily been an awesome new IP, in my opinion.

I've really been digging Alien Isolation lately. It gets a bit repetitive, but they absolutely nailed the atmosphere and tension.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 12:17:52 PM »

I've really been digging Alien Isolation lately. It gets a bit repetitive, but they absolutely nailed the atmosphere and tension.
Playing that myself and loving it.  Even though I've just got to the Alien encounters it's been tense as hell already.  Even the encounters with other humans have been handled well so far with the emphasis definitely on survival.

I'm hoping it doesn't go all Dead Space 2 later, spamming you with enemies and ruining the atmosphere and tension.

AaronF
Musical Maestro
500 XP

Hybrid Two

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 03:47:06 PM »

It never turns into an action game thankfully. It keeps that atmosphere and vibe until the end. I think my only problem with the game is that it goes on a bit too long. A little more variation in gameplay would have been good. It's a nit pick though. I'm thinking about playing through it again actually.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 08:18:43 AM »

I think my only problem with the game is that it goes on a bit too long.
Yeah that doesn't surprise me.  I thought the beginning was in danger of doing that when it took about 4 hrs to get to the first alien encounter.

I can't wait for VR to take off, it will be genuinely terrifying......although that's probably not good for my health   BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 09:49:19 AM »

I've given up on Alien Isolation without finishing it.  The endless hide and seek with the alien eventually wore me down.

No complaints though.  I got plenty of hours of enjoyment out of it before stopping and the atmosphere, alien AI and encounters were brilliantly handled.

AaronF
Musical Maestro
500 XP

Hybrid Two

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 07:40:51 PM »

http://kotaku.com/kojimas-pt-eradicated-from-psn-cant-even-be-re-downloa-1702464340

Maybe I should buy a new ps4 and put my current one with PT installed away in a closet or something. o_O

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 09:37:08 AM »

http://kotaku.com/kojimas-pt-eradicated-from-psn-cant-even-be-re-downloa-1702464340

Maybe I should buy a new ps4 and put my current one with PT installed away in a closet or something. o_O
There's actually a PS4 with PT installed for 1000 on ebay  Tongue

With that PT news and Kojima getting the boot, what the hell is going on at Konami?  Are they trying to commit company suicide?

AaronF
Musical Maestro
500 XP

Hybrid Two

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 06:43:33 PM »

There's actually a PS4 with PT installed for 1000 on ebay  Tongue

With that PT news and Kojima getting the boot, what the hell is going on at Konami?  Are they trying to commit company suicide?

They're probably axing their AAA video games division in the west and shifting focus to their more profitable endeavors in Japan. If MGS, Silent Hill etc have a future, it's probably in slot machine form.  Undecided

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 01:09:04 PM »

Yep I'm sure MGS, Silent Hill etc have a long future in mobile games too.  Tongue

The games industry loves to shoot itself in the foot at every opportunity.

AaronF
Musical Maestro
500 XP

Hybrid Two

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 05:46:50 PM »

Yeah no kidding. Not to mention the not-so-pretty picture the removal of PT paints for digital-download games in general. I know it was a free title, but the fact that they can all but wipe it from existence is a bit unnerving.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 12:15:17 AM »

Yeah no kidding. Not to mention the not-so-pretty picture the removal of PT paints for digital-download games in general. I know it was a free title, but the fact that they can all but wipe it from existence is a bit unnerving.
That's certainly a major concern.

From a retro gamers viewpoint, I'm concerned about access to all games in the future really.  Current hardware is getting harder to emulate so what will we run games on in the future as original hardware becomes harder to get?  What happens when servers get turned off.  The more they rely on servers, the cloud etc. the less hope there is of being able to play in the future.  Some great games could be essentially lost forever.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 08:53:05 PM »

Praying some of these get Project Morpheous support announced at e3 in a couple of weeks.

Until Dawn still looking great.

First I've seen of SOMA.  Looks like one worth keeping an eye on. 

AaronF
Musical Maestro
500 XP

Hybrid Two

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »

I'm super hyped for SOMA.  Cool

Until Dawn looks interesting. The one gameplay video I've seen made it look like Heavy Rain meets cheesy 90s slasher movies. It looked more campy than scary to me. That trailer makes it look a bit more intense though.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 01:55:51 PM »

I'm super hyped for SOMA.  Cool
Likewise now that I've done a bit of research.  Sounds like it will have VR/Morpheous support too.   BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 04:29:24 PM »

While not a "survival horror" in the traditional sense, Dying Light is bloody great.  Free running around the decent sized open world environment is good fun as is the mainly melee combat.

The story is decent and there's plenty of scope for non-scripted scary moments as you scavenge for supplies.  Definitely worth a look.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Jump to: