binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 23, 2018, 01:51:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30179 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  Disaster Incorporated alpha test
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Disaster Incorporated alpha test  (Read 2982 times)
PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2016, 12:54:36 PM »

It's finally here! No, not Half Life 3 unfortunately, just the latest little thing from me.

Disaster Incorporated
Here's a very rough version with plenty of problems...
www.pumpkin-games.net/downloads/games/disasterincorporated/DisasterIncorporatedSetup.exe

Don't get your hopes up too much Tongue

What is it?
Well, it's just a simple little platformer! I'd never done one and wanted a break from glowy Defenders. I used some of the levels / behaviours from Star Guard as a starting point as I had no tech in the engine for platformery stuff when I started.

I also did some sprite based animation - again this was new to me (if you discount some 8-bit doodling 30 years ago).

And finally, a chance to do a REPLAY system right and not the half assed 'save the inputs' type systems I tried (and failed with) in the past. I use Protobuf-net to save all world state each and every frame. It's the only way in C# to be 100% sure to get the same output consistently. I'm still toying with the idea of tying this in to the gameplay but have so far come up blank. It's not a big deal if I can't as it was correct replays, with rewind I was after. It was particularly mind blowing implementing this rewind system as you could rewind the replay at a point that the gameplay was rewinding, *boom* <- my head). Turns out the code is pretty simple in the end but getting there was a bit rocky :-) I currently snaffle a 500MB buffer and once that runs out the game quits back to the menu (you'll probably encounter this on later levels, 5 maybe is when it kicks in) - I have some compression to do with world state and some memory optimisation and levels will probably come with a time limit.

Aesthetically I've tried for a real flat look - the menus I'm hoping to have a modern HTML5 type feel that's all the rage these days.

I'm dabbling with a bit of dynamic lighting but I'm not sure I like the effect yet.

The aim of the game is to get to the exit. Score will be primary criteria, then Deaths, then Time I think. Deaths and Time are persistant in a level - Score will get rewound.

Controls
Keys...LEFT / RIGHT / Up (Jump) / Down (Rewind Time) / X (Shoot)
XBox360 joyad...LEFT STICK (move) / A (Jump) / RIGHT TRIGGER (Shoot)

I can NOT play with the gamepad - feel much more at home with keys. Control config will be added at some point.

Issues
Character stats are meaningless
Checkpoints get saved but the info in them is junk at the mo - you can use them to resume the game though. They'll never up date once added.
As mentioned previously, the game will quit if the rewind buffer gets full.
Some sounds missing
Some enemy behavious is WIP
You should be able to create a profile for your checkoints but it's flaky / not finished - if it doesn't work let me know and I'll attach one here with all current levels unlocked

Have fun.
There's a log file in C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\DisasterIncorporated if you get problems.

Smiley

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 07:59:02 AM »

Playing on Win 8.1, i7 laptop w/Nvidia graphics.

Played through 1 and a half levels, everything seems to work including rewind. Smiley The look (palette?) reminds me a bit of Gunpoint!

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 11:09:43 AM »

Thanks for trying. Appreciate your time.

I've not heard of that game before - I don't play (m)any games though so it could look like any number of them :-)

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 02:47:19 PM »

The look (palette?) reminds me a bit of Gunpoint!
I thought of that too, mixed with a Puppy Games character design. Smiley

Anyway works fine here too.  Rewind effect looks really cool whatever you decide to do wit it.  I got to the end of level 5 (I think) and it hadn't crashed.

It's obviously early days so I'm not sure what feedback you want if any.  You've certainly a solid engine to build a game on though. Smiley

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 10:52:28 PM »

You mentioned on Twitter about having a quick look so thought I'd show you what I have so far (not much as mentioned)  Smiley

I guess any bugs in the platform handling you find would be good to know about...
...the main character sometime turns round after a left / right colliision
...sometimes the 'respawning' enemies run on the spot

Thats's 2 bugs I've seen while playing.

...and also problems with rewind - I don't think there should be any but you never know.

Just working on the level start / checkpoint system and menus at the mo. Your current score will be dynamic based on the sum of all the checkpoints - I'm guess this is how Space Giraffe works with the Resume Best feature.
e.g. you can keep chipping away, improving levels and have your total 'career' progression improve.

I'm not happy with the intro menu / profile / main menu handling too - it's been this way for a few games now and is a hangover form the XBLIG stuff that is not really relevant know.

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 09:00:18 AM »

You mentioned on Twitter about having a quick look so thought I'd show you what I have so far (not much as mentioned)  Smiley
Yeah I appreciate it.  Just didn't want to start ripping it apart too early.  Wink

Nothing worse than someone doing that when you know most of the issues yourself and it's very early code (which is why I rarely show anything until it's almost done  Tongue)

Looking forward to seeing which direction you take this in.

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 11:08:59 AM »

The problem with showing the binary zoo something that is almost done is you soon realise that in fact, it's nowhere near almost done  Wink

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 05:44:16 PM »

The problem with showing the binary zoo something that is almost done is you soon realise that in fact, it's nowhere near almost done  Wink
Yeah you have a point as I've had that issue with everything I've posted. Smiley

Unity progress so far is really fast and enjoyable so I might upload more regular demos than I have in the past.  Just don't want to burn people out by continually asking for feedback Smiley

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 08:25:51 PM »

0.2.0 available.

Unfortunately I've renamed some internal settings so auto upgrade from 0.1.0 to 0.2.0 won't work. Full installer here...
www.pumpkin-games.net/downloads/games/disasterincorporated/DisasterIncorporatedSetup.exe

...hopefully normal service will be resumed going forward  Smiley You'll probably have to uninstall the previous version before putting this one on.

What's new
-----------------
Not much externally but lots of internal tweaks - been working on build tools mainly the last few weeks.
Removed the Intro menu - this was just a relic form the XBLIG requirements.
Standardised the Controls / Settings / Credits menus as popup menus
New Profile management menu added.
A nice blur effect on previous menus as newer ones are added.
Checkpoint stats added to the Resume Game screen and Level / Mission complete screen - hopefully this will provide some incentive to improve your stats and replay missions.
New HUD.

Things I need help with!
----------------------------------
Not sure how to handle the 'New Game' / 'Resume Game' conundrum.
Style - I've been going for a flat, HTML / Web 2.0 style look. I'm mostly happy with it but I think the levels look pretty sparse - I'm ok with that but wondered if they looked unfinished - levels 1 and 2 have a diagonal shading on them - keep it? or bin it for something else? Cheers.

Again, thanks for any time you spend on this - it's a massive help.

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 10:04:14 PM »

Excellent.  Downloading now Smiley

Things I need help with!
----------------------------------
Not sure how to handle the 'New Game' / 'Resume Game' conundrum.
Style - I've been going for a flat, HTML / Web 2.0 style look. I'm mostly happy with it but I think the levels look pretty sparse - I'm ok with that but wondered if they looked unfinished - levels 1 and 2 have a diagonal shading on them - keep it? or bin it for something else? Cheers.
Are we at the "constructive criticism" stage yet or do you just want feedback on those 2 points for now?

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 10:37:07 AM »

Rip it apart - views welcome on all aspects  Smiley
Bugs too - there are some known but best you shout out if you find any.

Just working on input configuration now - amazingly I hadn't added a UI for this until now (you had to tweak scripts previously)

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 02:11:44 PM »

Bugs
When switching CRT effects on I have the same menu miss-alignment issue I had with Paladin (IIRC the mouse didn't take the screen distortion into account)
The "back" text in menus (top-left) doesn't do anything when I click on it?
First play the game crashed at the end of level 1 (screenie attached)
On subsequent plays level 2 started but I could only see part of the level in the top-right quarter of the screen and it appeared to be frozen.

I'll comment on gameplay, graphics etc when I can see more than just level 1 Smiley

* d1.png (83.87 KB, 592x1166 - viewed 69 times.)

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 05:18:55 PM »

Thanks Chris

I've made rather a lot of changes to the code so I may well have buggered lots up  Smiley

Just tested the CRT / mouse handling and I can't recreate - I'm running 1280x720 in a Window - are you fullscreen or changing res at all?
I'll do a fresh install and see if I can recreate your level 1 complete bug (profile stuff changed this build)
I've sometimes had the 'freeze' issue - I think the game thinks it no loger has focus so doesn't up - I alt tabbed a few times and it woke up - something I need to look at.

Since removing the intro menu I don't know what version you're running so I've also added version info to Credits for 0.3.0.

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 10:46:42 PM »

Just tested the CRT / mouse handling and I can't recreate - I'm running 1280x720 in a Window - are you fullscreen or changing res at all?
That res works fine.  Of the few others I tried none did. See attached image with "Audio" estimated hitbox marked in red.

The offset seems to be dependent on the distance from the screen center.  The further away the worse it gets.

* d2.png (173.63 KB, 1034x803 - viewed 66 times.)

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 04:55:02 PM »

*Fixed* - incorrect mouse position for CRT effect
*Fixed* - screen size slider not working.

These were related to my new funky screen bluring effect - render viewport was getting reset so mouse location was out.

On to the level complete issues now - probably something to do with not having created a custom profile and using one of the default PLAYER1 -> 4 ones I create behind the scenes.

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
Jump to: