binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 23, 2018, 01:52:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30179 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  Disaster Incorporated alpha test
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Disaster Incorporated alpha test  (Read 2983 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 06:53:24 PM »

On to the level complete issues now - probably something to do with not having created a custom profile and using one of the default PLAYER1 -> 4 ones I create behind the scenes.
I had created a profile so I doubt it's that Smiley

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 02:08:25 PM »

I can recreate that issue - it happens when you are not signed in - I now auto sign in when creating a profile - I also may stop you signing out too.

Quick UI flow question...
Your profile will store your progress and stats for each level - if you've never played before and you hit PLAY, you'll pick your character and start level 1. If you have played before and hit PLAY, you'll go to the RESUME CHECKPOINT screen. There is also a MISSION COMPLETE screen that shows almost identical info to the RESUME one.

I want the player to be able to change character at RESUME or COMPLETE screens

WIP screen...

I'm thinking you hit SELECT CHARACTER -> CHARACTER SELECT screen...

WIP screen...

...and then when you CLICK to select you go BACK to the RESUME or MISSION COMPLETE screen where you will then proceed to play the next mission- how does that sound?

(I'm thinking different characte5rs will have different stats - it's not just an aesthetic thing)

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 02:22:48 PM »

Or shall I just have one character per profile - might be much easier.

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 02:40:20 PM »

Menu flow wise it looks logical to me.  Your menus are always lovely and logical  man

Or shall I just have one character per profile - might be much easier.
It majorly dilutes the point of having different characters if you're limited to one per profile IMO.

Just to throw a couple more ideas around regarding character selection. Rather than the traditional fixed character designs or buying upgrades that most games do....

- How about your character can transform into any of the other characters mid-level?  This would allow you to have much bigger differences between character abilities and therefore allow for much more varied level design.

- How about a character split in 3 parts where the head, body and legs can be interchanged to give different abilities?

Just some ideas.  Having only played 1 level properly I haven't really got a grasp of what sort of game you want Disaster Inc to be yet Smiley

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 02:58:46 PM »

1 character per profile but you are allowed many profiles. Or is that just naff?

I reckon the head/body/legs idea would give my artist (me!) nightmares  Wink

I have thought about that - I was going to do the character select thing in game with little pods you went into at the start of each level. This mid level thing might be an idea worth pursuing - I could do unique abilities like double jump or wall climb or dash

I have no idea what I want the game to be - other than an example project to try out rewind it's design on the fly  Smiley I want the missions to be replayable so want some indicaton on the mission complete screen that there is room for improvement.

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 03:36:48 PM »

Forgot to say, I have tried to play the game and will post more detailed feedback tonight. What i've seen so far is great though!
PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 09:08:55 AM »

Forgot to say, I have tried to play the game and will post more detailed feedback tonight. What i've seen so far is great though!

Thanks - I'll need it, as this development has been a battle from the start.

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 05:36:35 PM »

This mid level thing might be an idea worth pursuing - I could do unique abilities like double jump or wall climb or dash
Yeah that was my thinking.  Like I said, having larger differences in abilities or special abilities allows for more varied level design.

It improves the options for all your level targets.....Tricky to access areas for your points challenges, some potentially interesting ability changes on the fly for speed runs and in combat do you go with the slow tank bot or the faster but lightly armored ninja bot?

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 10:58:35 AM »

Spending FAR too long on the UI for this project - I guess that what happens when I'm struggling with the game-play code  Smiley

Wanting a super flat, simple, clean, uncluttered design with big bold look at me text  - almost a HTML / WEB2.0 feel -  it's tough as it's natural for me to want to add bits of shadow and glow but my Art Director (g/f) is keeping me on the right path. It won't be to everyone's tastes but desperately trying to avoid the glowy look with a dark screen that I usually go for.

Here's where I'm heading...

This needs lots of work...

I'll work on the CHARACTER SELECT UI next - either from the UI or in game as discussed above. At least I'll add some debug keys in to change on the fly.

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 12:30:47 PM »

Well it all looks great to me.  So did your earlier screens too though.   Smiley

... but my Art Director (g/f) is keeping me on the right path. It won't be to everyone's tastes but desperately trying to avoid the glowy look with a dark screen that I usually go for.
Can you imagine if I had an Art Director lol.  No doubt my stuff would end up looking a million times better, but working with me would drive them to despair....or worse.  BunnyMonkey!

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2016, 10:56:05 AM »

Not been able to spend any time on this really but I uploaded a new version -
- trying out some dynamic light stuff on level 1
- Brenda has a DASH ability, faster running and higher jumping

Very underwhelming :-)

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 02:22:20 PM »

Not been able to spend any time on this really but I uploaded a new version -
- trying out some dynamic light stuff on level 1
- Brenda has a DASH ability, faster running and higher jumping

Very underwhelming :-)
Where that be then?

It doesn't auto-update (IIRC your stuff normally does) and the download link in the OP is dead.

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2016, 11:34:39 PM »

Dunno 😀

I uploaded it somewhere! I'll try and track it down tomorrow.

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 05:41:56 PM »

Link working again - I uploaded a file tagged with a version number in error.  Smiley

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 10:16:04 AM »

Forgot to post this ages ago.

I managed to play the game in the end, amazing style, good control schemes.
Don't remember any issues or bugs, will need to play it again soon!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Jump to: