binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 07:58:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30167 Posts in 1158 Topics by 194 Members
Latest Member: RobertHedge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Developer Magazine
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Developer Magazine  (Read 5603 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 15, 2006, 07:18:12 PM »

Don't know if everyone is aware of this.  It's an interesting read even if it is a bit serious for it's own good at times.

http://www.developmag.com/

In particular it's worth reading the articles on copyright and developing XBox Live Arcade games.

las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 02:45:21 PM »

not bad, it had some interesting articles in it.
And loads of ads! What's up with that? It's an online mag, right?
Oh... it's not...but anyways... with that kind of circulation it should be.

I thought the story about the red cross logo being (mis)used in games was pretty interesting... never really thought about it that way.

btw, how do you read this kind of stuff? I find Reading a mag-sized content from screen a bit tedious. Zooming in would make the text easier to read, but then I can't quickly find the interesting stuff. On a ad-filled magazine like that you need to see as much as you can. In adobe reader you can get two pages next to each other and then maximize the app and it looks okay. Would look better in full-screen view, but that apparently only supports viewing one page at a time.

I guess it's time for me to get a new (read: bigger) screen!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 02:48:14 PM by las6 » Logged

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 03:51:30 PM »

not bad, it had some interesting articles in it.
And loads of ads! What's up with that? It's an online mag, right?
Oh... it's not...but anyways... with that kind of circulation it should be.
yeah the ads are a pain but as I haven't had to part with any cash I don't mind skipping them Smiley

btw, how do you read this kind of stuff? I find Reading a mag-sized content from screen a bit tedious. Zooming in would make the text easier to read, but then I can't quickly find the interesting stuff. On a ad-filled magazine like that you need to see as much as you can. In adobe reader you can get two pages next to each other and then maximize the app and it looks okay. Would look better in full-screen view, but that apparently only supports viewing one page at a time.

I guess it's time for me to get a new (read: bigger) screen
Yeah I hate reading like that too but I only have a 17" monitor!

Given the limitations of the screen I can't really think of a better way that Adobe could display things.  It's not really the screen size that's the main problem though.....it's like you said, this type of mag is meant to be browsed and not read from cover to cover in order.....and monitor viewing just isn't browsing friendly.

Even if the app is really responsive it just doesn't feel right.  I even feel the same about reading long emails and I know plenty of people who insist on printing everything out before they'll read it.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 05:34:12 PM »

Another online mag.  Some good material for the Nintendo fan.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/

I really like the piece about modern controllers and how developers feel they need to use every button on them.....a subject close to my heart Smiley

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 06:58:30 PM »

Another online mag.  Some good material for the Nintendo fan.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/

I really like the piece about modern controllers and how developers feel they need to use every button on them.....a subject close to my heart Smiley
Yeah, the escapist is quite the mag ... have you read Warren Spectors piece ... very good stuff.

I haven't read the article on controllers yet, but a non-gamer at lunch brought that up (as I miserably lost a game of Metroid against a friend Smiley) ... it's definitely a barrier that non-gamers cant handle, and like we've said in the past, is pretty un-necessary.

Although what do you think of analogue sticks? On the one hand I think they've actually very cool ... they feel *way* more natural than an 8-way direction pad, but on the other hand, getting non-gamers to co-ordinate their moving & looking on the sticks is near impossible! Games like Katamari Damacy, Mario 64 & Zelda 64 use it well though. Perhaps using one stick is reasonable for non-gamers, but getting the coordination down on two sticks is a bit more tricky.

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 08:13:06 PM »

Although what do you think of analogue sticks? On the one hand I think they've actually very cool ... they feel *way* more natural than an 8-way direction pad, but on the other hand, getting non-gamers to co-ordinate their moving & looking on the sticks is near impossible! Games like Katamari Damacy, Mario 64 & Zelda 64 use it well though. Perhaps using one stick is reasonable for non-gamers, but getting the coordination down on two sticks is a bit more tricky.
lol.  Tell me about it.  I've seen more than a few hilarious attempts at FPS control using dual-analogue sticks from non gamers before.

I've nothing against analogue sticks themselves but they are overused.  Don't know why they bother with d-pads anymore as very few developers use them for their proper use.

My 3 most recent 360 games use it something like this:  Tomb Raider = binoculars, switch on/off torch etc.   Oblivion=shortcuts to spells or items and even Fight Night Round 3 = illegal punches, grabbing oppenent etc.

Another pet hate (see you've got me going now Smiley ) is controlling the camera with the second analogue stick in 3D platformers and action games.  Ok leave it in as an option but why not give me some camera options so I can do what I want with it?

Car games always give you a few different camera positions to choose from so why not other games.  Why can't I lock the camera behind the main character as in the original Tomb Raider if I want to?  That's gonna take like 10 lines of code to add.......and adding a button that positions the camera behind the player when I press it doesn't count as I have no intention of holding that down for the next 20 hours.  Tongue

Just give the user a bunch of options so they can customise the controls, camera, difficulty etc. how they want and don't make them play it with your preferred, sometimes inaccessible set-up.  It's supposed to be fun people Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 09:12:44 PM »

New issue is up and it's a good read Smiley

http://www.developmag.com/index.php

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 09:30:37 AM »

New edition is up and best yet IMO.

A couple of good articles on the future of mobile gaming, a nice piece on Little Big Planet.....and any mag that has a screenshot from Choas Engine is onto a winner Smiley

http://www.developmag.com/index.php

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 12:51:18 PM »

... the future of mobile gaming ...
Really know how to talk me into downloading stuff, don't you? Smiley

(the LBP article seems pretty cool too Smiley)

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 07:39:58 PM »

Hah.  Thought that might get your attention Smiley

Nice piece in Edge this month about gaming in 10 years time too.  Includes the line..
Another perennial 'just wait until next year' offender, mobile gaming is running out of second chances to establish itself.
Right now I can't argue with that.

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 09:19:59 PM »

Right now I can't argue with that.
I'm working on it. Smiley

I've found that mobiles are just like the Wii and DS in some sense. Essentially, it's about designing the game for the controller. For me, that's the most important part of game design, regardless of platform. What bothers me is that most mobile games are still dumbed down console games, or still ports of old snes games, or just take old design and apply it to a new platform. That's really not going to work.

So what I've been working on is first understanding what the controller is capable of, and then figuring out what types of games can be done with that. And then realising, "shit, that's not going to work" ... and then going, "wait! I'll turn that limitation into a feature!" Once you get through all of that, you get the innovative/interesting gameplay for free!

Of course, the other problem is that the vendors control much of the content, so even if great games do start coming through the pipeline, they aren't necessarily going to reach a huge audience. But that's another topic entirely!

Mo

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 06:28:54 PM »

I've found that mobiles are just like the Wii and DS in some sense. Essentially, it's about designing the game for the controller. For me, that's the most important part of game design, regardless of platform. What bothers me is that most mobile games are still dumbed down console games, or still ports of old snes games, or just take old design and apply it to a new platform. That's really not going to work.

So what I've been working on is first understanding what the controller is capable of, and then figuring out what types of games can be done with that. And then realising, "shit, that's not going to work" ... and then going, "wait! I'll turn that limitation into a feature!" Once you get through all of that, you get the innovative/interesting gameplay for free!
Oh yeah, you know I totally I agree with that viewpoint.  What the Edge quote does make me think about though is not just whether the games are suitable for the device but also whether this apparently huge market is really there. 

The supposedly real gamers (no I wont say "hardcore") invariably have a dedicated portable gaming device and wont invest much in undeniably inferior Mobile games (apart from DUOtris obviously Smiley )

And yes there are a load of handsets out there and there are millions of casual gamers, but many of those are the sort of people who are happy to just play the games that came free with the phone or maybe buy Tetris and play that forever.  The real challenge isn't writing the games, IMO it's persuading these casual gamers that they want them however good they are.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Jump to: