binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 19, 2018, 01:33:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  Music Recommendations
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Music Recommendations  (Read 114048 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 15, 2006, 08:26:48 PM »

After last years flood of great albums (Arcade Fire, Death From Above 1979, Depeche Mode, MIA, My Computer, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Stars, Architecture in Helsinki, Shout Out Louds etc etc...) here's the first in probably a very short series of album recommendations Smiley

Artist:  The Delays
Album:  You See Colours

Mini-Review:
Soaring harmonies, rich guitar, a touch of synth, a little bit of orchestra.  Hints of Cocteau Twins vocals (the vocalist's a woman, no wait, definitely a man...no, woman....man?....) a dash of Stars , at times dangerously close to Fleetwood Mac.  Unashamed, Joyous pop Smiley

Recommended Tracks:
You & Me, Sink Like a Stone, Lillian (Wooooooo.....)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 11:36:57 AM by fog » Logged

Michael_King
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 02:38:25 AM »

Because im narrow minded when it comes to music.....

Artist:  The Prodigy
Album:  Their Law - The Singles 1990-2005

Mini-Review:
Great beats, Alternative Melodies, Prodigy Style Music. A compilation of all the best singles from the albums Experience, Jilted Generation, Fat of the Land, and Always Outnumbered. Includes live recordings and Remixes by Pendulum, Audio Bullies etc.

Recommended Tracks:
CD 1 : Track 6 - Poison
CD 2 : Track 2 - Back 2 Skool
CD 2 : Track 7 - Voodoo Beats
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 03:13:53 PM by Michael_King » Logged
SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 03:25:00 AM »

Yeah, Their Law is a great album. I really loved the live tracks ... I'm now dying to see Prodigy in concert! Smiley

And my co-worker absolutely loves CD2/Track3 ... to quote him : "It's all about the Pendulim remix man" Smiley

I pretty much like everything on the album ... Spitfire, Girls, Charly, Back 2 Skool and all the live stuff are the particularly memorable not-often-heard Prodigy songs I liked.

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 05:59:05 PM »

I'd normally ban any compilation albums from great albums, top 10 lists etc but I've been a Prodigy fan since the early 90's so I'll make an exception here. Smiley

Great stuff.

If you like Charly era Prodigy then you chould check out some of the Amiga demo scene stuff like as you'll probably love it.  (it's a 79Mb download, the gfx are laughable now but it does have a cracking 27 minute sound track Smiley )

las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 03:32:28 PM »

no shockingly good finds lately, just plenty of good tracks.

That said, there has been one album I've been listening to quite a bit even though I think the songs are not that great on their own. I guess it has to do with how the album.. flows. It's almost ambient for a rock album. and that's something I like.
And that album is the self titled disc from The Listening.

here ya go, I provided you with a sample. But like I said, this track alone won't sound as good as it would with the rest of the album.
The Listening - Be In Your Eyes
so basically it's flow-y, melodic british rock... I think.
Oh and they apparently don't use bass guitars, but some odd 'Moog' thingies.

doubt that it's anything you guys might like but I had to put something up here.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 11:45:59 PM by las6 » Logged

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 08:29:51 PM »

doubt that it's anything you guys might like but I had to put something up here.
No.  I really like that.  You might want to check out Mute Math Smiley

Oh and they apparently don't use bass guitars, but some odd 'Moog' thingies.
Mmmm the legend that is the Moog....lovely Smiley

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

tomassetti13@hotmail.com folkefiendar
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 09:30:20 PM »

I have one...

I like acoustic albums. I like acoustic albums especially when they're produced well.

Artist: Green Carnation
Album: The Acoustic Verses

Mini Review: It r be good... real good.

A sample, the song "Alone": http://media.theendrecords.com/GreenCarnation_AcousticVerses_Alone.mp3

Oh and if your interested in what their non-acoustic stuff sounds like: http://media.theendrecords.com/GreenCarnation_Quiet_BetweenTheGentle.mp3

My Achievements Earned:

Sit on my ass and do nothing for 2 hours - CHECK
Stare at a computer screen for more than an hour - CHECK
Ignore those around me for more than 10 hours - CHECK
Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 05:23:17 PM »

Album: The Acoustic Verses
I quite like that too.  Just the singers voice putting me off a bit.  Don't get me wrong he has a good voice, just lacking in any real character.....and I tend to prefer that over something that may be technically better.

EDIT:
I was going to recommend Panic! At the Disco's dancable indie.....then I visited their site and discovered the worst navigation system ever.

Check this example of design over function!
Who thought that was a good idea!  Tongue
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 07:01:51 PM by fog » Logged

las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 08:59:49 PM »

No.  I really like that.  You might want to check out Mute Math
thanks for that recommendation! at first I thought it was just another great band with a familiar name - then I remembered hearing a couple of their songs before and really wanting the album. Couldn't find it back then and I sorta forgot about it. ...but now I have it!

Who thought that was a good idea!
well the graphics aren't that bad... but indeed - the system is probably the worst I've seen.

Pretty good, maybe a bit too "folk-ish" for my taste, if you know what I mean.

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 03:37:56 AM »

I quite like that too.  Just the singers voice putting me off a bit.  Don't get me wrong he has a good voice, just lacking in any real character.....and I tend to prefer that over something that may be technically better.

Sometimes he sounds good to me, sometimes he sounds bad. But its the rest of the band that makes it up for me. They all play their parts so damn well its just hard to ignore for me. Probably my favorite band ever to come outta Norway.

I do have another reccomendation (and its still not that damn Black Metal, hahah):

Artist: Porcupine Tree
Album: Deadwing

Sample: http://greymanews.vije.net/music/Porcupine%20Tree%20-%2005%20-%20Arriving%20Somewhere%20But%20Not%20Her%20-%20www.torrentazos.com.mp3

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 08:03:58 AM »

quite lenghty track.. but sounds pretty good. I especially like the quieter parts... I don't mind the heavier parts in the end either, even if they sound a bit too much like typical old-school metal.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 08:06:23 PM »

No.  I really like that.  You might want to check out Mute Math
thanks for that recommendation! at first I thought it was just another great band with a familiar name - then I remembered hearing a couple of their songs before and really wanting the album. Couldn't find it back then and I sorta forgot about it. ...but now I have it!
Yeah I wasn't sure after hearing the first proper track.  Thought it might just be another indie pop album but it's a real grower.  In similar style to the Hard Fi album all the critics raved about only much much better. Smiley

I do have another reccomendation (and its still not that damn Black Metal, hahah):

Artist: Porcupine Tree
Album: Deadwing
Thanks Eric.  I haven't listened to any Porcupine Tree for years.....about time I dug them out again Smiley

las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 09:14:33 PM »

this weeks last.fm top5 songs list should prove out to be quite interesting mix. I have no idea what will end up in there. But we shall see soon enough.
I really need to do my own sig image system for that... something that suits the forum.

haven't listened to any Porcupine Tree for years.....about time I dug them out again
only heard couple tracks so far, but that one track was good enough for me to grab a whole album full of it... so we shall see if it sticks or not.

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 12:19:58 AM »

I actually discovered Porcupine Tree about 3 years ago when they were doing a tour that Opeth was opening for them. Both bands were doing acoustic only sets, it was great.

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 09:27:42 PM »

Artist:  Embrace
Album:  This New Day

Mini-Review:
Optimistic, enthusiastic, Euphoric. Smiley

I know they are currently enjoying some success but if this doesn't get them universal aclaim like the dull Coldplay then somethings wrong.  Also check out their under rated back catalogue.  The early Oasis comparisons were lazy and inaccurate...they are much better than that.

Recommended Tracks:
Sainted, Even Smaller Stones, You Will Hit the Target Every Time

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29 Go Up Print 
Jump to: