binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 19, 2018, 01:33:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Game Development
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Graphics We Like
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Graphics We Like  (Read 155968 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 08:31:06 PM »

I nominate In The Pit for being very very different.  Grin

OK it doesn't really qualify but in it's own way it's more graphically interesting than many commercial games out there.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2006, 10:36:22 PM »

Just stumbled across this again sitting on my HD.  The best piece of computer art I've ever experienced.....and yes, in the right conditions this is an experience.....an often unsettling one.

Go download the full 160Mb movie.  Stills don't do it justice.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 10:38:59 PM by fog » Logged

dadrew1
200 XP

Hey Yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 02:44:18 PM »

Downloading the movie now... can't wait :-)

By the way, I like the graphics in Call of Duty 2, although it doesn't really fit into the lot here ;-)  Played it last night for about 30 minutes - very engrossing game...  I recommend it with either high quality head phones or an awesome sound system!  The game is very very structured, but that game I believe is made to be more like a movie - an experience, not something that you really use your head in, just run and gun.  But there is something about it that seems so real when you do play it, like you really are there if you really try to get into it, ya know?  Anyway, sorry!

I didn't know what to write here, so I thought I might fill up the space uselessly, to give you something to read.  I know this is a blatant waste of bits and bytes, but if you would be so kind, don't hate me for it.  I only sit here and type because I am bored.  And you are too, my friendly reader.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 03:09:39 PM »

Downloading the movie now... can't wait :-)
Play it in a darkened room with headphones.  Even if you don't like it it will still have an effect on you.

By the way, I like the graphics in Call of Duty 2, although it doesn't really fit into the lot here ;-)  Played it last night for about 30 minutes - very engrossing game...  I recommend it with either high quality head phones or an awesome sound system!  The game is very very structured, but that game I believe is made to be more like a movie - an experience, not something that you really use your head in, just run and gun.  But there is something about it that seems so real when you do play it, like you really are there if you really try to get into it, ya know?  Anyway, sorry!
Yeah I like COD2.  Graphically it doesn't do much for me but as you say, the way it's structured and the superb sound make it one of the most intense gaming experiences I've had.  Bordering on too intense to be enjoyable at times.

las6
Escaped from The Zoo
1000 XP

creepy!

lauri_suopera@msn.com
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 03:38:06 PM »

Yeah I like COD2.  Graphically it doesn't do much for me but as you say, the way it's structured and the superb sound make it one of the most intense gaming experiences I've had.  Bordering on too intense to be enjoyable at times.
and I hate COD2.
[rant]Don't get me wrong, I love many of the aspects like the fact that there's no Health bar and so on... But as a game, it sucks balls. Especially when compare to COD1, which I liked very much.

the problem is that I'm not a console player and I don't like to run through tunnels JUST like the game designer planned. In COD2, this problem presented itself in very strict level format, which limited my movements quite a bit. I could never really circle around the enemy or do anything like that. Even if I could've, it wouldn't have done me any good because as long as you're not next to the spawn point, more enemies will keep on coming. This leads to scenarios which might look nice at first... endless combat between two respawning forces.. but it's silly really. I tried shooting them one by one, but it never does me any good as the spawn faster than I can kill em. At one point I just sat there watching them fight for about 10 minutes. Then I figured that the game wouldn't be getting anywhere unless I do something. And what did I do? the only thing that would stop the enemies from respawning from that specific spawn point:
I ran there. I didn't care about any of the enemies because they don't really matter. Problem is that when you get to one spawn point you'll notice another one just out of your reach... so you'll have to run there too. So you end up running from placing, not minding about the enemies at all. And it's frackking stupid if you ask me.

I'm sure many players will be totally oblivious to this behaviour, since they play the game like any other fps. But that doesn't mean the problem won't present itself... they just may not realize that the enemies keep on respawning and just think it's a tough part of the level.

I think teleporting/respawning enemies are just a bad Game design (doom3, anyone?), unless we're talking about "survival" games like mono and the rest.

[end of rant]

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 06:34:07 PM »

Yeah I know what you mean but it just creates a different kind of FPS feel IMO.

I know some people wont like the respawning enemies, hell I hate them normally, but in this case they serve a purpose.  Rather than sitting behiond cover picking off a fixed number of enemies and then advancing when they are all dead, COD2 forces you to drive forwards into a barrage of enemy fire.

That for me is what makes it so tense.  I can see how that wont appeal to everyone, it just depends of what style of gameplay you prefer.

As for the linear comment well again that's true.  Again though that helps ensure the action is always  non-stop and allows for carefully scripted set pieces.

It's very rare you come across a free roaming FPS anyway.  HL2 is one of the most linear games there is but that doesn't stop it being a great game....although not as great IMO as some would have you believe.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 03:26:43 PM »

Well I've watched a stack of e3 videos now and there's some wonderfully realistic stuff about.  Whether it's the accurate realism of the Tiger Woods demo or the fantasy realism of Gears of War it's all technically amazing......sadly they all leave me feeling cold.

Truth is very few games at e3 regardless of what the system they are on is capable of are doing anything remotely interesting graphically.  Quite depressing really.

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 07:31:29 PM »

seems main stream games are  losing  touch with the need to feed the eye candy deamon.

I remember buying a game because of possibly one effect . or a style of art in a game.

when $$$+time+net profit get involved passion sometimes/ usualy suffers .

I think i can tell ellements of games that where made with passion  and the slap together tripe  that gets pushed out .

I think it is why i am so hard of FPS gamse as of late. they have become like tv .. almost  sitcoms . each one wanting an angle , or plot twist (if we are lucky ) that is still at the core running arround with a gun ?

each new  FPS i see these days , if it don't have some new visual engine or great-outstanding  art  is basicly like an other space inavders clone .

Stubs the zombi , now that was new way to use a fps type environmant so that is cool, beside who never thought it would be fun to throw bits of youer self as weapons LOL  Wink

- frankly i get dissapointed nad boarde of FPS games quickly
- spells and magics and leveling up .. piss on that , that is like watchin paint dry . friends playin oblivion for days now and they have not reach the main story or quest ..wtf?

oops.. :: rant off sorry ::

if you have a good or nice video card the assasin demo from ati shows what a game could be ... and when your done picking you jaw off teh floor and realiseit was not a movie but a realtime scripted sceen heheh ..
i will post screen cap of assasin in a sec .. ok the detail in the .tga sceen cap got a bit fuzed by converting to JPG but this was just a screen cap ..
original size was 1280x1024x32 .

digital actor not seen in shot is rubey , but she is in teh graphic on most new ati video cards heheh

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 07:40:16 PM by Prime_8 » Logged

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2006, 07:30:33 PM »

Nice Smiley

Yeah FPS are without doubt the worst culprits of treading the same old boring graphical styles.  The sooner we get truly photo realistic gfx the better then all the companies relentlessly persuing that can concentrate their efforts on some other styles....and maybe spend a bit more time on the gameplay  Tongue

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2006, 09:35:02 PM »

Haven't seen much I like recently but I do like this.....Super Paper Mario (I might even let Ninty off pimping Mario at every opportunity)

* super-paper-mario.jpg (71.67 KB, 608x480 - viewed 591 times.)

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 10:25:59 AM »

heh cool 

i have been messing in the land of crystals.

i have be "growing" crystals by combinig teh genetic functions of 2 apps RDP and Texturemaker

i have about 30 striking types but here is power citris.

it should tile nicely

but this fire combustion script/plugin i have been tweeking ..

it should be seamless and if i get time i will do an animated one .. set for sphere mapping  so when ste on and animated on a outward scaling shpere it will look like a billowing explosion .

any how  that's the pyro in me.

* Genetic00.jpg (46.46 KB, 512x512 - viewed 561 times.)

* RIchFire1.png (320.37 KB, 512x512 - viewed 678 times.)

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 03:11:45 PM »

Now I like that.

I remember come cool blue crystal ones you posted a while back on LLRGT too....had one of those as my wallpaper for quite a while.

Banzai
200 XP

Duct Tape King

Banzai8th
View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2006, 07:37:00 AM »

Cloud

flOw

« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 07:57:09 AM by Banzai » Logged

Prime_8
1000 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2006, 09:33:16 AM »

cool game if you like herding clouds .

Fog i still have those "crystals"

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2006, 03:41:23 PM »

Welcome Banzai Smiley

Yeah I've played both Cloud and flOw a while back and thought they were excellent games.  Cloud in particular is a lovely concept, although I'm not sure it looks anything special graphically.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37 Go Up Print 
Jump to: