binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 19, 2018, 01:25:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  Nintendo (Wii, DS etc)............................
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nintendo (Wii, DS etc)............................  (Read 126998 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 15, 2006, 06:11:08 PM »

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:28:44 AM by fog » Logged

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

tomassetti13@hotmail.com folkefiendar
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 06:40:31 PM »

I only notice your last sentence, which you had probably edited from:

"More then ever I really need to get my hands on the Wii."

Grin

My Achievements Earned:

Sit on my ass and do nothing for 2 hours - CHECK
Stare at a computer screen for more than an hour - CHECK
Ignore those around me for more than 10 hours - CHECK
Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »

I only notice your last sentence, which you had probably edited from:

"More then ever I really need to get my hands on the Wii."

Grin

I spend hours (ok minutes) writing a piece on the Wii's potential control problems and all you can do is crack a Wee joke......yeah you're right, those jokes will never get old  Grin

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 08:27:58 PM »

I'm sure I'll wear them out soon. I also liked "Wiimote", that was a godly use of the Wii sound.

My whole problem is, I can't get past the name to even take a look at the system. I was at my local gaming den the other day, and the manager there trying to start our usual sunday discussion with me says "Well you heard about the Nintendo Wii having..." and I stopped him right there when I fell over laughing. I cannot have a serious conversation about the system without falling over in tears about how awful the name is, and then how cheesy the explanation for the name is.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 12:33:14 AM by EricT » Logged

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 08:36:00 PM »

Oooh, that story reminds me of another:

Other day at the same store I was playing fight night on the xbox360 there, and people kept coming in and asking about details for the wii. So I get this large cardboard poster thing, turn it around and write on it "Free Wii Preview ----->" with the arrow pointing towards the bathroom, which so happened to be clogged. He ended up taking it down after the 3rd person complained Sad

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 08:42:40 PM »

Other day at the same store I was playing fight night on the xbox360 there, and people kept coming in and asking about details for the wii. So I get this large cardboard poster thing, turn it around and write on it "Free Wii Preview ----->" with the arrow pointing towards the bathroom, which so happened to be clogged. He ended up taking it down after the 3rd person complained Sad

LMAO  Genius Grin

Did you like Fight Night Round 3 then?  Once you get used to using the stick to throw your punches it's brilliant.....maybe the Wiimote just needs practice too.

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 08:45:54 PM »

Yeah, I love fight night, go in atleast once a week and play it there. I'm way to cheap to buy my own 360, so I end up playing it at the store I frequent, and its funny since they don't have a demo model in store because its a smalls store, me and the owner just take one out of the box and play it behind the counter on the small hdtv he has, then put it back in the box and sell it as a "refurbished" product for only a few bucks less. They ended up having a demo model stolen on the night of the release when they sold out here, so they don't keep it out anymore till its demand is much much less.

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 09:21:10 PM »

First things first,
Eric, get over it! Smiley  I dunno why, but I liked the name from the start. Yeah, it's a bit silly, but it totally captures Nintendo gaming for me: simple ... silly ... fun ... playful. It beats the "Revolution" IMO ... a name that takes itself too seriously.

Anyway, about getting a Wii ... I think I'm gonna get one on launch. It's a bit of a risk, because I can totally see the thing failing and losing developer support faster than the cube did, but I have a simple way of looking at this and justifying the purchase ...

At worst I'd have bought myself an expensive gamecube. There are at least a dozen or so cube games I want to play, so even if the Wii does flop, I've still got my moneys worth. But at best, it could be a totally kick-ass system with tonnes of good games. Either way I'll be rather happy about it.

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 09:55:56 PM »

Anyway, about getting a Wii ... I think I'm gonna get one on launch. It's a bit of a risk, because I can totally see the thing failing and losing developer support faster than the cube did, but I have a simple way of looking at this and justifying the purchase ...

At worst I'd have bought myself an expensive gamecube. There are at least a dozen or so cube games I want to play, so even if the Wii does flop, I've still got my moneys worth. But at best, it could be a totally kick-ass system with tonnes of good games. Either way I'll be rather happy about it.

Sums up my attitude perfectly I'd say.  I'd really like to get my hands on one first (hopefully there'll be 360 style demo pods in stores) but I'll probably get one at launch anyway. Smiley

First things first,
Eric, get over it! Smiley  I dunno why, but I liked the name from the start. Yeah, it's a bit silly, but it totally captures Nintendo gaming for me: simple ... silly ... fun ... playful. It beats the "Revolution" IMO ... a name that takes itself too seriously.

Sorry can't agree there Mo.  It might be a regional thing but they could barely have picked a worse name around here.  There's a big difference between a name that doesn't take itself too seriously and one that is so bad it creates negative reaction....and that's exactly what Wii does.  It will cost them sales in certain markets.  Regardless of all that I just think it's a crap name.

dadrew1
200 XP

Hey Yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 11:50:42 PM »

My hole problem is...
First of all, I don't wanna know, Eric ;-)

Anyway, I hadn't thought about the logic of if the Wii becames and abismal failure, at least I'll have a Gamecube, there are quite a few games I'd like to play that came out for it :-)  I wonder if the gamecube controller can be used for it...

My wife has actually gotten excited about the Wii... imagine that!

I didn't know what to write here, so I thought I might fill up the space uselessly, to give you something to read.  I know this is a blatant waste of bits and bytes, but if you would be so kind, don't hate me for it.  I only sit here and type because I am bored.  And you are too, my friendly reader.
EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 12:35:07 AM »

Thats a blatent misquoted statement, I swear I did not edit it a minute ago, ahem...

On a side note, i figured out something I do like about the system... SNES emulation... unless they took that out... then i'll be sad. I wanna play SNES in HD.

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 01:03:40 AM »

On a side note, i figured out something I do like about the system... SNES emulation... unless they took that out... then i'll be sad. I wanna play SNES in HD.
It's still there. NES, SNES, N64 and GC backwards-compatibility. Genesis & TurboGrafx too I think. GameCube cds can be used, the rest have to be downloaded. Although, appart from GC, I don't see what the fuss is about. Allow me to explain:

PC + SNES9X + Shady Websites + Controller + TV OUT = SNES emulation

Although I guess you can't beat the convienience of having one built into the Wii.

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 04:49:02 AM »

I'm more up and arms about the fact of officially supported NES, SNES, N64, and GC emulation, so I have people I can actually bitch too when something doesn't work.

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 09:06:22 AM »

I wonder if the gamecube controller can be used for it...
Yes there are ports for that....and if you aren't playing something that uses the Wiimote then from what we've read I'd ditch it altogether and use the GC one for most things.

My wife has actually gotten excited about the Wii...
There are "special" websites for that sort of thing Wink

I wanna play SNES in HD. 
It doesn't do HD Wink

Although, appart from GC, I don't see what the fuss is about. Allow me to explain:

PC + SNES9X + Shady Websites + Controller + TV OUT = SNES emulation
Yeah emulation is pretty much perfect on older systems.  And something like Project64 does a great job on N64 stuff.

Other than the GC emulation I'm not really that bothered either.  And AFAIK you can't download those games and have to buy them on disc....good luck finding some of those.  I missed out on the GC so there are a few titles I'd like to try but....

The PS2 was backward compatable which seemed like a great idea at the time as I had a load of PSone games....I tested it on one game and never used it again.

The 360 is, in theory, backwards compatable and I was convinced I'd make good use of that while waiting for the number of 360 titles to increase.....I've never used it for that.

However....
Although I guess you can't beat the convienience of having one built into the Wii.

I have used the 360 to play a bunch of old arcade games (Smash TV, Gauntlet etc).  Games I could easily play on PC but i play them on the 360 because it's convenient. I can download them in a couple of minutes and play them whenever I have a few spare minutes. That IMO is the only motivating factor for playing older games on the Wii.

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 12:14:03 PM »

No HD on the wii? Ghey...

Thats one selling point the PS3 has over me is the fact that I have 3 HD TV's in the house now, and a large LCD monitor which can achieve HD quality, plus the fact i'm a crazy audiophile, makes it so I can take advantage of what it has to offer.

On the other hand, 500-600 dollars doesn't sound appealing to me whatsoever.

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26 Go Up Print 
Jump to: