binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 22, 2018, 06:34:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  General
| |-+  Wildlife
| | |-+  Sony (PS3, PSP etc).................
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sony (PS3, PSP etc).................  (Read 110480 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 08, 2007, 09:46:16 PM »

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 11:27:51 AM by fog » Logged

Ylle
5 XP

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 12:27:36 AM »

Too bad Sony removed a good part of the backwards compability for the europe release :/
SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 02:52:57 AM »

Yeah, I totally had a "jaw drop" moment when I saw Little Big Planet. The game is mental! But TBH, I didn't expect anything less from the guys who brought us Rag Doll Kung-Fu. One of the absolutely magic moments in the video is when three of them are on the jetpacs, but the fourth player can't reach ... so one of players swoops down, picks him up, and helps him reach the jetpac dispenser. Inspired. And the controls are wonderfully simple too ... left stick to move, and the genius part, right stick to control the hands!

But honestly, apart from LBP, I don't see anything else worth picking up a PS3 for. Playstation Home or whatever sounded cool, but ultimately uninteresting.

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 06:04:09 AM »

Wow. That's just amazing. It's like linerider, but... everything instead of just lines.
I want a PS3... more than a Wii actually, cause that was just amazing Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 07:40:24 AM »

Too bad Sony removed a good part of the backwards compability for the europe release :/
Can't say I'm bothered.  It sounds great but in truth I've never used backwards compatability on the PS2, 360 or Wii.  There is simply too much new stuff for me to play.

Plus don't write off the new software based PS2 emulator in the PS3.  The PSP's PSone emulator is superb

But honestly, apart from LBP, I don't see anything else worth picking up a PS3 for. Playstation Home or whatever sounded cool, but ultimately uninteresting.
Yeah Home just looks like a bit of a hub for meeting people and arranging online gaming.....and no doubt other stuff Smiley

Wow. That's just amazing. It's like linerider, but... everything instead of just lines.
I want a PS3... more than a Wii actually, cause that was just amazing Smiley
They really are so different comparisons are almost pointless. In an ideal world get both.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 09:45:36 AM »

They really are so different comparisons are almost pointless. In an ideal world get both.
In an ideal world I'd have the money Cheesy I'm leaving my job soon so game purchases will shoot down pretty quick. But that LittleBigPlanet vid was about 10 times more appealing to me then anything I've seen on the Wii so far. I guess it's mainly because the Wii's current market (multiplayer party games) doesn't suit me... but then I guess LitteBigPeople is a bit like that... but as I don't have the money for a Wii or a PS3 it's all moot Tongue

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 07:08:28 PM »

In an ideal world I'd have the money Cheesy I'm leaving my job soon so game purchases will shoot down pretty quick. But that LittleBigPlanet vid was about 10 times more appealing to me then anything I've seen on the Wii so far. I guess it's mainly because the Wii's current market (multiplayer party games) doesn't suit me... but then I guess LitteBigPeople is a bit like that... but as I don't have the money for a Wii or a PS3 it's all moot Tongue
lol. oh yeah money obviously comes into it Smiley

So what games to buy at launch then?  Definately Motorstorm and a few of the downloadable games appeal but what else? 

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 02:20:08 AM »

Yeah, Motorstorm is pretty much a given. Despite it's apparent flaws, it still looks like a solid game to me, so it's certainly worth picking up.

Apart from that I'm not sure ... I'm looking at the list of released game on Gamespot, and I guess Resistance would be fun for a bit of shooty action. You can't really go wrong with Ridge Racer either, but I hear 7 is very similar to 6 on the 360, so it really depends on how much you like RR. Smiley  Also, I didn't realise there were some decent fighters on the PS3: both Virtua Fighter 5 and Tekken 5 look great. Although Tekken, I think, is a port of the PSP version which I recall you already have. However, it is quite cheap and is a downloadable game.

Speaking of which, I'd pick up Lemmings as it's a fantastic game that *isn't* a remake (T17 made all news levels and lemming types) and has the added bonus of being as cheap as chips ($2.99 as I recall). flOw looks decent too, but I'm not sure there's enough *game* there to justify it. Also Blast Factor looks alright ... it's a shmup, but a rather uninspired one, so it's a bit of a toss up.

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 08:13:29 PM »

Yeah, Motorstorm is pretty much a given. Despite it's apparent flaws, it still looks like a solid game to me, so it's certainly worth picking up.
Well one advantage of the delayed European launch is that our version of Motorstorm is much better than yours Wink ....or so I read.

Possibly Virtua Fighter as well.

Speaking of which, I'd pick up Lemmings as it's a fantastic game that *isn't* a remake (T17 made all news levels and lemming types) and has the added bonus of being as cheap as chips ($2.99 as I recall). flOw looks decent too, but I'm not sure there's enough *game* there to justify it. Also Blast Factor looks alright ... it's a shmup, but a rather uninspired one, so it's a bit of a toss up.
Ooh I didn't even know Lemmings was out....one of my all time favourite games! Smiley

There are a bunch of good games on the horizon but right now I'm thinking PS3 for exclusives and multiformat titles on the 360.  It will really depend on how good the online aspect of the PS3 is.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 10:48:50 AM »

Lived with the PS3 for a week now then so some thoughts....

Christ it's big!  A lot bigger than the space I'd cleared for it.

Controller...um.  It's no 360 pad.  I love the Dualshock and all they have done is basically add triggers to that design but they've still managed to get it wrong.  They are far too short and totally the wrong shape, almost forcing the joypad out of your hand when you press them.  Also while making most handheld devices light to hold is probably a good thing, here it's so light it almost makes the whole thing feel cheap.  It's not.  It seems pretty well made and the tilt function works well but the weight thing just gives you the wrong impression.

Interface.  It uses the same XMB system as the PSP which I happen to like Smiley  I love the 360's blades system but it does feel really cluttered with options scattered all over the place and even after a year I can still never remember where XBL Arcade is  Tongue.  The PS3's system is much easier to navigate IMO once you get used to it.

Online.  Nowhere near as good as XBLive as that is integrated into every game on the 360 and here it's down to individual developers but it seems to work well with room for improvement.  And at least they have online working already.  How long does it take Ninty?

Games.  Motorstorm is brilliant Smiley  Goes without saying that it looks good but it also plays great too.  I wasn't sure at first but switching to the in car view really puts you right in the middle of the carnage and it's really intense stuff.

Same subject as Excite Truck on the Wii but totally different in approach.  Excite Truck was initially more fun but I managed all but the last couple of S Ranks in a couple of days and without multiplayer have little incentive to go back to it.  Motorstorm on the other hand was much harder to master and although it has ridiculously few options it does have multiplayer for when/if I ever finish the single player.

Resistence Fall of Man.  Distinctly average in every department.  Looks ok with very generic gameplay.  Ok but more on a par with something like Call of Duty than Gears of War.

Also got a few PSN titles (XBLive Arcade equivalent).  Lemmings is great and much better than I thought it would be with the joypad.  Really well thought out controls.  flOw is the same gorgeous waste of time it is on PC.  Aimless gameplay but strangely mesmerizing.  Gran Turismo:HD is free and that tells you all you need to know.

Also tried a few demos.  F1 was really great....if you like that sort of thing.  Looks fantastic and handles superbly but F1 racing does tend to be a bit dull after you've played Motorstorm Smiley

Lets see what games the next few months bring then.....

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 06:02:12 PM »

Finally! I was *dying* to hear what you thought about the PS3. Smiley

Sounds generally positive to me. I got to play Motorstorm on a demo pod this weekend, and agree with you mostly. I've never quite liked the PSx controllers, and the PS3 is no exception. It's too light, feels quite cheap, and the analog sticks and triggers are *very* loose. The sticks I've kinda gotten used to, but the triggers are quite appalling. The motion senseyness seemed to be well done, although I switched it off.

While I haven't seen the interface, I think it's crap. Smiley  I'm not a fan of the PSP interface, so I don't see why I'd like the PS3 interface. Online is again one of those things that Sony isn't doing quite right, but Ninty is doing much worse, so we'll call it "acceptable". Smiley

On the positive side, I quite enjoyed playing Motorstorm despite all the negative comments I've heard. It seemed like plain old fun. The physics were well done, the graphics were sharp, and yeah, it was just fun to play. I thought there was a bit of slowdown here-and-there, but nothing too major, especially considering it's a launch title. I'm not sure about the longevity of the game but at the very least, it's a great demo to showcase the power of the PS3.

Told you Lemmings would be good. Smiley  Team17 really put alot of thought into the control scheme ... I have the original on the PSP and the lack of mouse controls frustrates very rarely.

So congrats on getting your new toy, and lets hope the future is reasonably bright for the PS3. I don't think Sony are taking first place this generation, but I think the rumours of Sony's death are greatly exaggerated.

Mo

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 08:39:42 PM »

On the positive side, I quite enjoyed playing Motorstorm despite all the negative comments I've heard. It seemed like plain old fun. The physics were well done, the graphics were sharp, and yeah, it was just fun to play. I thought there was a bit of slowdown here-and-there, but nothing too major, especially considering it's a launch title.
There hasn't really been any negative comments here about Motorstorm.  All the reviews have been very possitive.  Mind I'm sure our version of Motorstorm is an updated version of what you got which would explain why I haven't experienced any noticable slowdown either Smiley

While I haven't seen the interface, I think it's crap. Smiley  I'm not a fan of the PSP interface, so I don't see why I'd like the PS3 interface.
Yeah I can see it being an aquired taste.  The 360 looks great and should in theory be a lot better but the options are scattered all over the place.  While the PS3 one is harder to navigate I can at least find the options I want at the first attempt.

So congrats on getting your new toy, and lets hope the future is reasonably bright for the PS3. I don't think Sony are taking first place this generation, but I think the rumours of Sony's death are greatly exaggerated.
I agree and it's sure going to get interesting this gen.  Will the PS3 sell enough at that price to get decent 3rd party support?  Will the Wii get some decent games and continue to sell when the novelty and hype dies down?  Can the 360 compete with the PS3 on straight horsepower or will XBLive continue to draw people in?

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 05:58:15 PM »

This has nothing to do with the PS3, but it's close enough:

http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13400

CANT! FREAKING! WAIT!!!!

Mo

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 06:08:24 PM »

Oh yeah, I should reply to too ... Smiley

Yeah I can see it being an aquired taste.  The 360 looks great and should in theory be a lot better but the options are scattered all over the place.  While the PS3 one is harder to navigate I can at least find the options I want at the first attempt.
My beef with the PSP interface was that they just ended up cluttering the menu with junk. Look at the system menu to see what I mean. Mind you, I'm not exactly sure how they'd do a better job, but just having a massive list of "stuff" isn't very intuitive. At the very least, they could have done a better job putting all those options into more meaningful sub-categories within the system menu.

I agree and it's sure going to get interesting this gen.  Will the PS3 sell enough at that price to get decent 3rd party support?  Will the Wii get some decent games and continue to sell when the novelty and hype dies down?  Can the 360 compete with the PS3 on straight horsepower or will XBLive continue to draw people in?
FIND OUT BY WATCHING TOMORROWS EPISODE OF, "THE CONSOLE BIZ"!!! Wink

On a more serious note, I think everyone will win this time. I think the 360 is going to beat out the PS3, but not by much. I mean, it isn't looking great now, but when Sony drop the price by a bit, the PS3 sales will start picking up. We, the consumers, will win because the close competition will force developers/publishers to put games out on both platforms. Apart from first-party games, I think the "console exclusive" is dead.

The Wii will be successful. Hell, it *is* already a complete success. That is, if Nintendo don't sell another Wii ever, they'd have still made enough profit from it to work on a successor. But I definitely see the system continuing to sell even after the initial buzz wears off. Where they'll place overall is anyones guess. Too early to say they'll come out at #1, but it's quite possible.

Mo

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 06:14:16 PM »

This has nothing to do with the PS3, but it's close enough:

http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13400

CANT! FREAKING! WAIT!!!!
Oh hell I hadn't heard about that.  Wipeout is soooooooo good.  Can you imagine how good the PS3 version will be.......I just have  Embarrassed

FIND OUT BY WATCHING TOMORROWS EPISODE OF, "THE CONSOLE BIZ"!!! Wink
Yeah it's a great time to be a gamer.  And arguably the first time there has been a genuine reason for owning all 3 major consoles as it looks like they will all have superb support and something unique to offer.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30 Go Up Print 
Jump to: