binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 07:56:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30167 Posts in 1158 Topics by 194 Members
Latest Member: RobertHedge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 605708 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 10:45:58 AM »

You could try a neon look but with solid objects instead, though it would probably just make everything look like a glow in the dark fridge magnet Tongue
I had actually tried this with Echoes while it was in beta. I'd forgotten about it, and now that the game is out I guess i can release it to the public.
Just don't get your hopes up, its nothing spectacular.
http://www.freewebs.com/banzai8th/customechoes.htm
Yeah the alpha would have to be reduced considerably on the solid parts of those asteroids for that to work for me.  Nice to see people experimenting though.

Of course the biggest problem would probably be the extra time it would take to draw bigger, solid objects meaning it's not an option on lower spec PC's without sacrificing the graphics somewhere else.  All things we have to consider.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 09:41:19 PM »

Just been doing a few random things Tension related.  I have this annoying habit of working on a demo and then thinking "well I could knock up some quick demo code for this but I'll just have to rip it all out and do it properly if I decide to develop this further."  So invariably I take option B and write the final version immediately.

In the long run it means the full game gets done quicker and I don't have the frustration of trying to replace demo code later hoping that it doesn't break stuff.  Alligator!

So after all that we now have a couple of routines to create enemies (they don't all just simply appear in this game), the structure for the World system (briefly mentioned earlier), some potential background effects and some new code to handle player collisions (it was separate code but I've thought of a way of using the background collision code to do the same job)

And now I can start sticking it all together  Kang-a-roo!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 09:20:18 PM »

Today I remembered I had one last thing to do before trying to get the existing bullet, enemy, fx etc code to work with the Tension code and that was to code the "smart bomb" routine.

It might sound a bit odd coding a smart bomb routine when there aren't any other weapons or even enemies in the game yet but.....no wait,  it is a bit odd.

Well not so crazy in this case really as our smart bomb is very different to any smart bomb I've ever seen in a game before.  So different in fact that it's really a dumb bomb (hmm I think I'll call it that)....which will make a lot more sense when you've seen it in action Smiley

No, in this case the Dumb Bomb, like the player, has to interact with the background in a unique way so it makes sense to code it now when I'm finishing off the background routines. 

It's somewhat chaotic when you use it but it does look pretty cool.  I'll have to wait to see how effective it is in the game though before I decide just how often you get to use it.

Me pleased  Kang-a-roo!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 09:32:44 PM »

Did a bit of work on the <dodo> engine tonight streamlining a few things.  The whole point of the system is I can reuse it in any games I write so it's very flexible and has a stack of abilities and options.  In hindsight too many options and a few of the things in there were so obscure they will probably never get used.....so they've been chopped  Alligator!

Because of that the bullet, fx and enemy routines now run a little faster.  I've convinced myself the improvement in Echoes is actually noticeable when there is a load of stuff on screen......which it probably isn't but it does make me feel all warm inside.  Although that could be the White Spirit I've been drinking.

Back in the Tension code I still have that little collision glitch that only appears about as regularly as a new Binary Zoo release but is really starting to annoy. Regular readers (just me then) will know that it just needs a little maths tinkering to kill it once and for all so tomorrow I get out my trusty calculator of death.   s-s-snake!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 09:07:15 PM »

No major coding progress to speak of for a couple of days but we have had some activity in the audio department.

Heard demos of a couple of possible Tension tracks (they're FKD Reality so you don't need me to tell you they are great right?) and started discussing how I'd like the music and sound fx to work, blending together to make a fabulous symphonic whole......or not.

It's going to be tricky to get the audio mix right but I like to experiment where possible so we're setting the FKD Brothers something of a challenge.  And if it doesn't work we ditch it but at least we'll have tried something different.   BunnyMonkey!

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 09:05:42 AM »

I like in echoes how it plays that little piano-y riff when you get powerups  Kang-a-roo!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 01:15:10 PM »

I like in echoes how it plays that little piano-y riff when you get powerups  Kang-a-roo!
Me too.....Tension will be nothing like that  Grin

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 08:00:03 PM »

Well I can finally put the maths book away.  Hurrah  Kang-a-roo!

(well I don't really have a book, I just make it up as I go along.  Which might explain why it takes me so long?   Tongue)

But yeah the background collision system now appears to be finished.  No freaky collisions and no objects getting stuck in walls anymore and it looks pretty solid.  I did have the walls moving around a lot and that was proving very problematic so I've toned that down a bit.  In truth it probably makes for a slightly better game anyway as the angle the objects bounce off the walls at is now a bit more predictable.

The only other issue now is just how many enemies I can have on screen whilst keeping the game playable.  Currently with only 10 on screen for testing purposes it sure is chaotic already (in a good way).  Too many and it will be pretty impossible for the player to take all the information in and avoid being hit.

So two options to keep it playable.  Either restrict the number of enemies on screen or give the player some serious firepower.  Now based on previous games I wonder which option I'll take Wink

I also showed the previous background demo to the media guys so they know what the game will look like and have a better idea of what sounds and music will fit.  It's fair to say it got a mixed reaction.  las6 had some concerns which I can understand but I'm confident I already have those issues in hand.

On the other hand SiN did say
As per usual, Chris' "a bit sh*t" is my "f***in awesome!"

It was just cool to finally let the guys see roughly what Tension is all about and get some feedback Kang-a-roo!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007, 10:15:46 PM »

Been a bit tied up over the past few days (not literally) but I've managed to progress a couple of things.

With the background routines (collision, movement etc.) now complete I've bundled the whole thing up into a nice neat function so I can apply it to any object be it an enemy, bullet, powerup etc.  I'm still in two minds how exactly the bullets should collide with the background mind.  Should they explode or bounce off?  Right now I'm covering both and saying a bit of each.  Some walls the bullets will bounce off, some not.   Kang-a-roo! <=bounce!

What else.  Oh yeah, I've added a little routine to add spin to an object based on how it collides with a wall.  Adds absolutely nothing to the gameplay but I like it.  We just need some graphics where you can see the spin now.  Tongue

Finally I've finally finalized the final file format.  Funky BunnyMonkey!  So "World" variables, background layouts, enemy spawn points and enemy attack waves can now be designed in external scripts.  They don't actually do anything in-game yet but that's a minor point lol  Smiley.

Banzai
200 XP

Duct Tape King

Banzai8th
View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 03:11:41 AM »

I'm still in two minds how exactly the bullets should collide with the background mind.  Should they explode or bounce off?
They should refract.  Tongue

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 09:30:07 AM »

Yeah I agree. The bullets should pass through the walls and bend towards the normal as they pass through, then away as they pass out, as if they were light travelling from air into glass and back out again.  Grin That would make for a confusing shooter

Banzai
200 XP

Duct Tape King

Banzai8th
View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 04:09:31 PM »

Whats more, the bullet should spit into three new ones, each tinted red, blue and green, and they should all refract at slightly different angles. And each colored bullet can only destroy as similarly colored enemy (ie. red bullets kill red baddies). THAT would be confusing.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 09:06:04 PM »

Hey I'm making this up as I go along so there's every change the real result will be even stranger  BunnyMonkey!

Just got in from work though so don't expect any bullet explosions, rebounds, refractions or otherwise tonight.  Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2007, 01:04:52 PM »

No progress recently due to illness.  Hopefully I'll be back working on this again soon.

avoice217
25 XP

ugarmyjr@hotmail.com i_am_fireproof_01
View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 02:53:40 AM »

hey fog, how ya doing lately?

Disciple
Scars Remain
In Stores Now!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 164 Go Up Print 
Jump to: