binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 20, 2018, 09:15:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606294 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2385 on: March 11, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »

Sounds suuuuuper fun!
It might be, provided people don't expect it to make music lol.  It's a procedural noise maker with the emphasis on noise  BunnyMonkey!

Anyway microphone recording is now working so that's another toy to play with. Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2386 on: March 15, 2017, 12:02:46 PM »

Fixed some rather tricky issues with the microphone recording and samples in general.

In Unity when accessing the microphone you specify how long you want the recording to be.  You can stop the recording early, but the sound file will still be the length you specified, padded with silence.

This becomes a major problem when the user selects the reverse playback option as the big chunk of silence is played before the recorded sample starts.  BunnyMonkey!

So thanks to feature creep these lovely new features, I'm having to find the length of the actual recording and remove the silent part.

Oh and just to confuse matters, the user can also specify the playback start and end endpoint of any sound using sliders.....but those sliders need to work backwards when the reverse playback option is selected.  Fun  man

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2387 on: March 21, 2017, 10:07:31 PM »

I've now added pitch sliders for sound samples too.... so users can change the playback frequency as well as the start/end points of samples.  Options  man

Time to work on a bunch of file handling routines.  Hurrah  BunnyMonkey!

The user needs to be able to load/save sound variable settings, sound sample settings,  track settings, mixer settings and project settings.

The lazy option would be to just have one file and save everything to it, but it would be cool if the user could reuse sounds etc they created between projects, so 5 different file types it is  Tongue

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2388 on: March 28, 2017, 11:54:31 PM »

Feature creep, feature creep  man

Found out I can write my own audio filters (echo, distortion etc) in Unity so thought I'd give it a go.  No idea what effects to try and create, but it would be rude not to try Smiley

It's coming along well.  A few new features (yes more) and some tweaks to the UI to make things a bit more intuitive.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2389 on: March 30, 2017, 09:07:08 PM »

Added another option to 'Mix' mode.  While you have always been able to set the pitch/frequency of each track, you can now change that frequency for each 'section' too (a section being 4 bars...I think!!!)

Additionally when moving a slider I now show a magnified view of the current value/position.  Essential if I ever release a mobile version (highly unlikely but better safe than sorry)

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2390 on: April 06, 2017, 11:00:55 AM »

Been busy this week so not much Zynth progress.

I have been looking into parts of Unity that I haven't played with yet though (3D, physics, shaderzzz etc ) in anticipation of starting a new game project.   man

Right now I quite fancy doing a Binary Zoo-ified FPS....nothing clever, just plenty of chaos and a silly amount of dumb enemies to shoot.  As usual beyond a very rough gameplay idea I'll just make it up as I go along.  It's fun that way  BunnyMonkey!

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: April 06, 2017, 12:45:50 PM »

Ooo!

And an FPS too, that's a huge jump from your other games  Grin
TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2392 on: April 09, 2017, 06:48:34 AM »

Been busy this week so not much Zynth progress.

I have been looking into parts of Unity that I haven't played with yet though (3D, physics, shaderzzz etc ) in anticipation of starting a new game project.   man

Right now I quite fancy doing a Binary Zoo-ified FPS....nothing clever, just plenty of chaos and a silly amount of dumb enemies to shoot.  As usual beyond a very rough gameplay idea I'll just make it up as I go along.  It's fun that way  BunnyMonkey!
FPS?! Had to check the date on that one Tongue

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2393 on: April 13, 2017, 12:30:56 PM »

FPS?! Had to check the date on that one Tongue
Grin

Well I said FPS as that seemed like the easiest thing to do as a first 3D project.....but thinking about it, adding a player model and turning it into a third-person-shooter is easy.....and the moving to a fixed camera and making it a twin stick shooter is no work at all.  I've no idea what I'll end up doing  man

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2394 on: April 26, 2017, 11:33:35 AM »

Got the Zynth mix matrix working.  This allows you to shape the volume of each track and toggle between the two instruments/sounds assigned to each track.

Just have the recording options to add, plus the fx pad that I might also add.  Not sure if that should be for 'live' use only or whether inputs from that should be recorded too.

Also continuing with planning for new 3D game project.  I've started with a bit of generic coding for that already.  Generic because I still don't know what the actual game will be yet  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2395 on: May 04, 2017, 10:48:11 AM »

Had to do a bit of a major rewrite of the sound playing routines due to my stupidity and misunderstanding of how Unity handled things.

Basically you can only play a sound once, no poly play.....so I've had to create a pool of each sound/instrument and cycle through them.

For something seemingly so simple, I've never worked on a project with so much stuff going on behind the scenes. 

It's insane for a throwaway 'toy' that has no real use  Grin

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2396 on: May 05, 2017, 05:26:15 AM »

Had to do a bit of a major rewrite of the sound playing routines due to my stupidity and misunderstanding of how Unity handled things.

Basically you can only play a sound once, no poly play.....so I've had to create a pool of each sound/instrument and cycle through them.

For something seemingly so simple, I've never worked on a project with so much stuff going on behind the scenes. 

It's insane for a throwaway 'toy' that has no real use  Grin
Haha, it's amazing isn't it how quickly a sound based project can get complicated like that!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2397 on: May 09, 2017, 01:59:03 PM »

Haha, it's amazing isn't it how quickly a sound based project can get complicated like that!
so true. However pointless a project it is, I'm really enjoying doing it. It's really satisfying to learn something new and not feel as though I'm working on the same type of project again. (Not saying I won't do another 2D shmup but this has given me the appetite to try something new and experimental.)

Anyway almost "done" now bar tweaking and filling in a few functions I've been avoiding (e.g. Undo)

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2398 on: May 19, 2017, 02:43:19 PM »

Haven't had the chance to do any coding this week.  Should be back at it next week.

Then I'm going to be spending a few days putting 1982 on Steam.  Given the hundreds of thousands of downloads Echoes+ got through Steam it seems like the sensible thing to do.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2399 on: May 21, 2017, 03:56:12 AM »

Haven't had the chance to do any coding this week.  Should be back at it next week.

Then I'm going to be spending a few days putting 1982 on Steam.  Given the hundreds of thousands of downloads Echoes+ got through Steam it seems like the sensible thing to do.

Whoa - getting a Steam release! That's wild.  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: