binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 20, 2018, 09:09:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606270 times)
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2007, 01:59:28 PM »

From what I can tell, Tension sounds awesome !!! Will there be a never ending game mode ? Because that'd be awesome from what I can gather.

Is your Dodo scripting engine written in DBPro ? If so how did you build a language on top of a language ?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2007, 03:14:35 PM »

From what I can tell, Tension sounds awesome !!! Will there be a never ending game mode ? Because that'd be awesome from what I can gather.
I have several game modes planned (ie. nothing concrete decided yet) which should cover everything for a quick 5 minute blast to a huge marathon (currently planning 100 maps played on 5 different Worlds effectively meaning 500 levels).  Not strictly never ending but big enough I hope.

Is your Dodo scripting engine written in DBPro ? If so how did you build a language on top of a language ?
Yes.  Like any other scripting system, my DBPro code just reads a series of external files (XML in this case) and calls various routines depending on their contents.  That covers setting game variables, loading media, defining menus, fx, bullet patterns etc.

Even if you're not writing a full scripting engine, storing your game data in external files makes things much easier to work with IMO.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2007, 08:48:39 PM »

Well the first few enemy types are coded.  They are:

(names will change - purely descriptive for now)
- asteroid in large, medium and small flavours  (no Binary Zoo game would be complete without asteroid cannon fodder Smiley )
- snake (really cool the way it interacts with obstacles)
- irregulars (not round so they bounce at unpredictable angles)
- indestructible (well for a short while anyway)
- kamikaze (dive, dive, dive.....)

Right, added to the enemies above we now have

- Hyperactive (fast and unpredictable)
- Shooter (erm it shoots)
- Bomber (um it bombs)
- Deflector (go on, guess)

Plus a mystery enemy that you don't actually want to kill  Smiley

And finally the powerup routines have been rewritten.  The old powerup routines only handled static objects and here the powerups must interact with the backgrouns like everything else so a rewrite was required.

Next the "Agression Level" settings.  Rhino!

donny
500 XP

http://www.whynot.tk

vincent_griezelig@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2007, 09:54:50 PM »

just wondering
a time ago there was a discussion about binaryzoogame-screensavers
as i just learned how to program one (it can be done in dbpro) it came to my mind
are they still cumming?
Lyx
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2007, 01:34:37 AM »

About the names: Unless you have a specific reason to change the names, you may want to consider keeping most of them. Right now, they directly say what the enemies are, so there is an intuitive association between ingame-perception and name. I mean, i dont think that "funky names for the sake of funky names" is a reasonable approach, regardless of how popular this attitude seems to be.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2007, 10:15:47 AM »

just wondering
a time ago there was a discussion about binaryzoogame-screensavers
as i just learned how to program one (it can be done in dbpro) it came to my mind
are they still cumming?
Anything is possible.  Not sure what I would do for a screensaver that anyone would be interesting in mind Smiley

About the names: Unless you have a specific reason to change the names, you may want to consider keeping most of them. Right now, they directly say what the enemies are, so there is an intuitive association between ingame-perception and name. I mean, i dont think that "funky names for the sake of funky names" is a reasonable approach, regardless of how popular this attitude seems to be.
Yeah that's a fair point.  Any renaming will keep the names as descriptive as possible.....although, as with WIP names I give to games, I'll probably be too lazy to change them anyway. Smiley

donny
500 XP

http://www.whynot.tk

vincent_griezelig@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2007, 05:30:10 PM »

about the screensaver:
you could replay the last games the player did
or, that cool binaryzoo logo thing title screen

if you made some small adjustments to your code
i can make a screensaver-starter in vb-expres
you'd just have to start the games code with the CL$ function

if you're interrested, we could discus this in pm
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2007, 01:27:51 PM »

I'll see if I can come up with something interesting Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2007, 10:44:34 PM »

A little more progress tonight.

Tweaked the level loading routine to do a few checks on the level to make sure it meets a few design rules (like making sure any gaps between level objects are large enough for enemies to fit between etc.)

I also have the enemy "Aggression" setting working properly.  There are 5 settings (1=easiest, 5=hardest) and enemy behaviour changes depending on the setting.  This allows me to do a few things but at it's most basic it means I can use the same enemy templates from level 1 to 100 and just increase their "Aggression" setting as the player progresses.

So what does the "Aggression" setting change then?  Well on each enemy it changes two or three different things.  The simplest of these is that some enemies move faster and things like making "Randoms" bounce more randomly.  However it also has slightly more complex effects like you can normally kill any section of a snake but on higher settings only the head of a "Snake" enemy can be killed.

Most are already coded but I wont give any more away just now.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2007, 08:20:08 PM »

"You cannot change the laws of physics." - Star Trek's "Scotty."

Rubbish.  I think in a moment of pure desperation inspiration, changing the laws of physics is exactly what I'm going to do.  Well more specifically I'm toying with the idea of having the direction gravity acts on changing from level to level.  Currently everything falls down-over as expected but wouldn't it be more fun and allow for a bit more variety if things sometimes "fall" upwards?  Or any other direction for that matter?

Now I need to spend a couple of hours thinking through how this would effect every other aspect of the game  BunnyMonkey!

Lyx
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2007, 08:40:35 PM »

Thats not really changing physics though :-P It's just a change in the center of gravitation. What would be really confusing but interesting would be if the screen would rotate with your ship, so that it always points upwards..... therefore changing the center of gravitation too..... probably not really a good idea for a game - but it would certainly feel interesting for a short while to play with Smiley
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2007, 09:19:05 PM »

Thats not really changing physics though :-P
Well yeah but then I couldn't have used that quote. Smiley

What would be really confusing but interesting would be if the screen would rotate with your ship, so that it always points upwards..... therefore changing the center of gravitation too..... probably not really a good idea for a game - but it would certainly feel interesting for a short while to play with Smiley
My "Onyx" demo, written prior to starting on Tension, does pretty much exactly that.  It's my 2D Tempest, Asteroids mash up Smiley

It was written to help develop the background routines I needed for Tension but it's got potential of it's own so when Tension is finished I'll probably copy the final code across to Onyx and a do some more work on it.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2007, 11:58:16 AM »

Rubbish.  I think in a moment of pure desperation inspiration, changing the laws of physics is exactly what I'm going to do.  Well more specifically I'm toying with the idea of having the direction gravity acts on changing from level to level.  Currently everything falls down-over as expected but wouldn't it be more fun and allow for a bit more variety if things sometimes "fall" upwards?  Or any other direction for that matter?

Good idea.

Yeh, ever play Yakks, Anciptal, that had 4 way gravity.  Was a cool game, and involved a Goat, Wink

What would be really confusing but interesting would be if the screen would rotate with your ship, so that it always points upwards..... therefore changing the center of gravitation too..... probably not really a good idea for a game - but it would certainly feel interesting for a short while to play with

Yeh, i wrote a 2d shooter like that too.  Never finished it though, Written in Db classic. Caled it Zytron Mega Blast i think, as a sequel to my old C64 shooter.

It worked quite well and gave an intereresting and unusual gameplay experience.

Thumbs up from me.

TMC

Lyx
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2007, 02:43:01 PM »

- false topic -
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2007, 04:00:54 PM »

Yeh, ever play Yakks, Anciptal, that had 4 way gravity.  Was a cool game, and involved a Goat, Wink
Yes.  It confused the hell out of me lol.....but then a lot of Jeffs stuff did Smiley

- false topic -
?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: