binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 01:01:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606520 times)
Banzai
200 XP

Duct Tape King

Banzai8th
View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2007, 06:36:33 AM »

What would be really confusing but interesting would be if the screen would rotate with your ship, so that it always points upwards.
But as we all know. The enemy's gate is always down.

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2007, 10:03:53 AM »

Had an idea for your game, thinking along the lines of Elite type ideas.

How about a power up, thats an escape pod.

When the player dies / health reaches 0, automatically use the escape pod to transport the player back to an earlier level.

It's a bit different to the standard extra life. Smiley

Also, what about an enemy that appears on screen, and over a period of time, decreases in size until it disapears. Shooting at it, will prolong its life span and increase its size.
Thus this enemy is to be avoided and not shot.

TMC

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2007, 10:41:37 AM »

I totally hate the bomb thing in Geometry Wars where you have like 4 of them and it clears the screen totally of enemies when you use it. Just gave it lots of stop/start gameplay. I didn't like Geometry Wars. Perhaps I should at least state that I only ever played the secret easter-egg version in Project Gotham 2, not any other X360 version on Live.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2007, 11:46:49 AM »

Had an idea for your game, thinking along the lines of Elite type ideas.

How about a power up, thats an escape pod.

When the player dies / health reaches 0, automatically use the escape pod to transport the player back to an earlier level.

It's a bit different to the standard extra life. Smiley
Hmm.  I currently plan on having 4 game modes (no idea if I will mind).  They are "Story Mode" (play through levels sequentially), "Arcade Mode" (designed for a quick 5 minute blast when I think how lol), "Chill Mode" (play forever....you can't die) and finally "Universal Mode".  This final mode kind of has a version of what you suggest.

In "Universal Mode" you can die but it's not game over, you just get to select another level.  There is also a Shuffle option which, rather than prompting the player to select another level, just picks an available one at random (this is "on" by default). As well as giving a more random selection of levels I was worried that kicking the player to a menu in-between every level would break up the flow so this solves that issue.

Also, what about an enemy that appears on screen, and over a period of time, decreases in size until it disapears. Shooting at it, will prolong its life span and increase its size.
Thus this enemy is to be avoided and not shot.
I like the idea of that although it's given me an idea to almost the total opposite lol.  I currently have an enemy that you have to keep alive by not shooting it.  I'm now thinking that I might change this to an enemy you need to keep alive by shooting it.  Doing this would keep it "pumped up" and alive as suggest.  And just to make things a little more interesting, over doing this will cause it to burst.  Hmm, food for thought.  Cheers.

Keep em coming. Even if they aren't doable in Tension they do get me thinking Smiley

I totally hate the bomb thing in Geometry Wars where you have like 4 of them and it clears the screen totally of enemies when you use it. Just gave it lots of stop/start gameplay.
Must admit I'm not a fan of traditional smart bombs either.  In mono and Echoes I had that ring of bullets thing which is about as close to a smart bomb as I've done.

In Tension, as I mentioned some time ago, I have the anti-smart bomb....the Dumb Bomb Smiley  Once you've set it off you have no control over it at all but it does require a little bit of skill to use effectively.

I didn't like Geometry Wars. Perhaps I should at least state that I only ever played the secret easter-egg version in Project Gotham 2, not any other X360 version on Live.
the original GW and GW2 are essentially the same game.  The 360 version just had better graphics really.  The next game for the 360, GW:Waves, looks a bit different mind as does GW:Galaxies on the Wii and DS.

Lyx
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »

I for whatever reason accidentally replied in the wrong topic. Actually was the second time this happened to me. Either its me, or the cookie-thingies are doing weird stuff (i was viewing two topics and tried to reply to topic A, but got a reply in topic B)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »

I for whatever reason accidentally replied in the wrong topic. Actually was the second time this happened to me. Either its me, or the cookie-thingies are doing weird stuff (i was viewing two topics and tried to reply to topic A, but got a reply in topic B)
Ah right lol.  You had me slightly confused there Smiley  If it happens again you should be able to delete your own posts if you wish (next to the quote button).

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2007, 10:18:05 PM »

Well changing the game engine to handle "gravity" in any direction has thrown up a few problems but I think we're on top of them now.  I've already had a play with a few of the new level designs it allows for and come up with some pretty interesting results ("interesting" being coder speak for most of them were rubbish and didn't work lol)

I've also added an all new level to the Dumb Bomb.  Before it created mass random damage but now, if in bonus mode, it creates a whole new kind of insane destruction.....and looks ace into the bargain Smiley

As it stands the Dumb Bomb is a bit of a double edged sword.  While using it, the player is shielded from any damage so it has obvious uses, but it can severely reduce your score on a level.  Or not.  Skillful players could clear a whole level with one well aimed Dumb Bomb and get a huge time bonus.  They'd have to survive while the level filled up with hyperactive enemies but it is in theory possible.

which brings me to the next challenge.  Tension is shaping up to have quite a complex scoring system.  Well it's actually really easy to understand, that's not the problem.....Because everything on screen is getting a bit chaotic, displaying how the player is scoring and what bonuses are available is going to be tricky.  Very tricky.

Lyx
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2007, 07:28:55 AM »

It would be easier for me to contribue ideas and feedback efficiently, if i had any idea "what" tension is supposed to be like.... how it feels like.... its structure.... etc. - this is the main reason, why so far, i didn't contribute much feedback - basically, i have no idea about which game i am talking about here..... all i know is that its an arena shooter and that its name is tension. I dislike talking about stuff which i do not understand.... since i neither know the concept of tension, nor have a way to imagine it, i dont understand it.

Regarding bombs - i disliked the bombs in mono and echoes and found them rather useless, because there wasn't much possibilities to use them tactically. If they would instead have caused high destruction only in the immediate area around them - thus providing some kind of shield... that would have been a different story.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 07:42:26 AM by Lyx » Logged
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2007, 11:09:49 AM »

Had another little idea.  Don't know if you've already got it or not.

Have a pick up, or weapon that allows the player to leach health from the enemies, to replenish your shields.

What about a Matrix style , bullet time pickup, slow mode for enemies, but normal speed for player.

How about temporarily taking over an enemy, possesion, when health gets low, or some way of infuencing the enemies to attact each other  Shocked
Would be great to sit back and watch them duke it out.

Anyways, just a few ideas i'm throwing out there.

TMC
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2007, 02:40:39 PM »

It would be easier for me to contribue ideas and feedback efficiently, if i had any idea "what" tension is supposed to be like.... how it feels like.... its structure.... etc. - this is the main reason, why so far, i didn't contribute much feedback - basically, i have no idea about which game i am talking about here..... all i know is that its an arena shooter and that its name is tension. I dislike talking about stuff which i do not understand.... since i neither know the concept of tension, nor have a way to imagine it, i dont understand it.
Yeah that's understandable.  Looking back I appreciate that while I've been talking about what might be considered minor points of the design, I've never given an overview of the basics.  I'll do something about that. Smiley

Regarding bombs - i disliked the bombs in mono and echoes and found them rather useless, because there wasn't much possibilities to use them tactically. If they would instead have caused high destruction only in the immediate area around them - thus providing some kind of shield... that would have been a different story.
Fair points.  TBH they were only added to Echoes as they were requested during testing.  Having said that, I do use them quite tactically.  Knowing that the bullets they fire are indestructible and will rip through multiple enemies, luring a snake towards one and setting it off can wipe out a whole snake very easily.  Anyhoo you'll be pleased to hear they aren't in Tension. Wink

Had another little idea.  Don't know if you've already got it or not.

Have a pick up, or weapon that allows the player to leach health from the enemies, to replenish your shields.

What about a Matrix style , bullet time pickup, slow mode for enemies, but normal speed for player.

How about temporarily taking over an enemy, possesion, when health gets low, or some way of infuencing the enemies to attact each other  Shocked
Would be great to sit back and watch them duke it out.
I can see I'm going to be refering back to this thread for ideas in future games Smiley

After doing Echoes, which is a pretty standard shooter, I wanted to get back to what I enjoy best and experimenting a bit. I'm taking that approach with all aspects of Tension so my powerup/energy system is also a bit different.  It only has one powerup type that does everything when collected (increases energy, weapon power and bonus)  Therefore I don't plan on any fancy powerups or weapons.....although I might throw in some bad powerups (powerdowns?) on harder difficulty settings.

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2007, 02:55:44 PM »

I'm going to stop reading so I still have no clue what Tension is when it comes out. Can't wait  Grin

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2007, 07:47:25 AM »

Good to see development ramping up again after your illness.  It's sounding pretty interesting so far.

Is there anything we can see yet - a taster screenshot, sneaky shaky cam video, etc.  I know the answer to this already but have you got an ETA?

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #102 on: October 10, 2007, 11:00:54 AM »

A couple more ideas.

How about the ability to lay mines.  When a timer delay reaches 0, Kaboom, they take out the nearest enemies.

Remember, Salamander and Nemesis.  How about, a drone / multiple.  This could follow the player, shooting randomly or at the nearest enemies.  You could even make him controllable by a second player, ala Wizzball.

TMC

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2007, 12:26:41 PM »

Good to see development ramping up again after your illness.
Still very much ill I'm afraid.  I've just learned to pace myself so some days I can make a little progress.

Is there anything we can see yet - a taster screenshot, sneaky shaky cam video, etc.
I don't really like showing anything until I'm happy with it and right now I'm not Smiley  You're not alone in being in the dark though.  The rest of the team haven't really seen anything yet either.

It will need quite a bit of playtesting mind so I'm hoping to get something out as soon as I possibly can.  If I can get the level editor finished then hopefully the playtesters can chip in with a couple of ideas too Wink

I know the answer to this already but have you got an ETA?
In the current circumstances I'm not even going to say which year Smiley

How about the ability to lay mines.  When a timer delay reaches 0, Kaboom, they take out the nearest enemies.
Shh.  I have a whole game idea based around mine laying.  Although I got it while working on one of the weapons in mono so it doesn't look like I'm ever going to do anything with it lol Smiley

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2007, 10:31:36 AM »

I couldnt help it.  Another game idea looms.   Grin

How about an after touch effect.

This is the ability to slightly control the direction of the bullets after they have been shot.

Instead of a fire and forget type system, a pick up to allow you to bend the trajectory of your weapons whilst in flight would be quite cool.

I remember the old sensi soccer and kick off football games had after touch for controlling the ball and it really made those games.

TMC

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: