binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 04:10:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606741 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2007, 12:54:12 PM »

How about an after touch effect.

This is the ability to slightly control the direction of the bullets after they have been shot.

Instead of a fire and forget type system, a pick up to allow you to bend the trajectory of your weapons whilst in flight would be quite cool.
Aiming and changing the direction of your shots already plays a major part in the gameplay although not quite in the way you suggest. Smiley  You can already bounce your bullets off the walls within the level.  In fact to get a decent score it's an essential technique to master as it will give you a bonus multiplier.

With that in mind, adding aftertouch (god I loved Sensi Soccer Smiley ) might be a bit tricky as your bullets are already bouncing around all over the place changing direction Smiley

I'm still wrestling with the idea of whether to include some homing bullets when your weapon powers up.  While that would normally sound like an advantage, they might might veer away from the wall you intended to bounce them off, robbing you of a points bonus.  Guess I'll decide during tweaking.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2007, 05:47:40 PM »

Well after reading what TMC has been up to I guess I'd better start work on some sort of level editor.  Kang-a-roo!

It really needs to be broken down into two sections, a background editor and and some kind of scripting enemy attack waves.  Currently they are both done using scripting files but the background editor really needs to be done with some kind of graphical interface jobby.   The enemy attack wave design might well remain in scripting files as any editor will probably end up more cumbersome than simply adding a few lines to a script file.  Whatever for now I'm just going to concentrate on the background editor.

For essentially such a simple game, this editor needs a shit load of options  Tongue

T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2007, 10:19:56 AM »

Thats what i like to see.

Grabbing the bull by the horns.   Grin

Are you thinking about  future proofing witht the editor.  Ie, with mine, it's designed in such a way that it can be used for virtually any 2d game.  Horizontal shootem up scroller, platformer, static flick screens, with or without parallax ect. 
I've spent several months on it and it's really been worth it.  It's not even only limited to blitz max as the output data can be used for any system, just so long as you know how to read back in the data.  So it's really cross platform.

Can your editor be used for future games too ?
Would save an awful lot of future dev time if it is.

TMC

Lyx
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2007, 11:09:38 AM »

I was thinking along similiar lines, when i red fogs post - but stopped from mentioning my idea for the 3rd time, since fog already is aware about it anyways. From the little info which i know yet about tension, it definatelly sounds like tech which could be used for more than one game.

In other news - i recently noticed that nowadays, there are almost no more multiscreen arena games in which the player can move freely. Back in the old days, that was an entire genre of itself - i.e. spent lots of time playing "zone ranger" Smiley
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 11:14:42 AM by Lyx » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2007, 11:36:56 AM »

Can your editor be used for future games too ?
Would save an awful lot of future dev time if it is.
That's the plan.  I already have a couple of game ideas based around a similar background system so it makes sense.  Of course once I've finished Tension I'll probably be so sick I'll never want to see this background system again Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2007, 11:29:40 PM »

So then.  Level editors.  Hate coder the bastards.   Tongue

But this one is proving to be fairly good fun.  Firstly it's a relief to finally be able to change level designs without messing on with writing scripts in Notepad, but also because it's quite good fun pulling the level into different shapes while enemies fly around inside.

Designing a crazy level shape and then dropping a load of Kamikaze enemies into it has little use but it's a distraction....just like those old executive toys where the silver balls bounce back and forwards that fascinated you as a kid.  No practical use whatsoever mind but fun.  Smiley

I'd say I'm about halfway through writing the editor so it's proving to be slightly less of a gring than I anticipated.  If I can stop having fun with it then I might get finished in a couple of days.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2007, 04:32:35 PM »

Good to see everything is coming along quite nicely Fog. Also, would you ever consider releasing your "Onyx" test game that you wrote as a tech demo, similar to that of Mono ? because, i'd download it.
donny
500 XP

http://www.whynot.tk

vincent_griezelig@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2007, 04:37:25 PM »

yeah, me to

but i has a question, what does an editor do?
i mean in games of the simplicity of echoes etc, do you need one?
i thought that was more like, UT2007-stuff...
and, do you make them in dbpro as well?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2007, 07:54:19 PM »

Good to see everything is coming along quite nicely Fog. Also, would you ever consider releasing your "Onyx" test game that you wrote as a tech demo, similar to that of Mono ? because, i'd download it.
Thanks.  When I've done a little more work on it and decided how much potential it has I'll either finish it or release it in demo form.

i mean in games of the simplicity of echoes etc, do you need one?
No, Echoes didn't need one.  Even the levels in Echoes aren't scripted with the position the enemies appear in being totally random

but i has a question, what does an editor do?
Well a level editor can handle many different things.  Take something like Super Mario for example where the editor is used to place all the platforms within a level and position any enemies or other objects (like hidden stars or powerups)

In the case of Tension I need a similar editor that allows me to design the level backgrounds (walls etc), the locations of any enemies and the time at which they spawn.

In DUO all the levels and enemies were simply written in a text file and it took about a month and was incredibly boring.  I realise now that I could have designed 100 better levels within a week if I'd had an editor. Smiley

and, do you make them in dbpro as well?
Yup.  I could write the editor in any language as the finished level designs are just saved to a text file and could be loaded by the game code.  However I want to be able to play the levels as I'm designing them so the editor will be build into the game.  Although I haven't decided whether to make it accessible by everyone yet in the final release or whether I'll disable it. Smiley

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2007, 08:22:23 PM »

As an idea, you could make the Level editor in Tension an Unlockable, unless you have plans for unlockables already ? Because it will show commitment to the game to want to add to it. I just love BZ games, they're awesome, any more plans of porting some games to the mobile game platform ? And do people still purchase Duotris on mobile phones ?

I also need to finish my current project of "Rebound" (Working title) Should be good with a bit of polish.

Oh yeah, I emailed the XBLA team and found out that games can be coded in any language when deciding for suitability for XBLA, so you should just send them Mono with an instruction guide either in game or in a text document. I would so love to play it on 360 in glorious HD. Also its the best portal for Indie developers like you, you'll make a killing. say if 500,000 people bought Mono for 400pts = 5

5 x 500,000 = 2,500,000 Million so either way you would be making a profit, if you ported it into C# it would make the process faster.

I just want something new from the Zoo.

Also, ever thought about writing tutorials in DBPro for 2D games ? Because I would love to see the kinds of stuff you do and learn new things.

Apologies for the long and somewhat pointless message.
SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2007, 04:30:35 AM »

Ohh, I can answer this one! Smiley

I just love BZ games, they're awesome, any more plans of porting some games to the mobile game platform ?
At some point in time, yes. I've been working on other, non-Zoo related stuff lately, but I'm eager to get back to writing mobile games. I'll be back on the case as soon as my current project is done. Whether I'll continue to port our current library, or do something new altogether, I haven't decided yet.

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2007, 01:58:31 PM »

You be a fool, no make that a FOOL, not to release the editor too Smiley  You'd also have a thread here for folks to upload their level designs to and an option to load user levels in game.  And also (online) high score tables, zoots, etc for said levels.

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2007, 01:59:54 PM »

Apologies for the long and somewhat pointless message.
It's always good to get feedback Smiley

As an idea, you could make the Level editor in Tension an Unlockable, unless you have plans for unlockables already ? Because it will show commitment to the game to want to add to it.
I probably will make it available either from the start or as an unlockable.  If anyone did design their own levels (which will be really easy) then it would be cool to share them with other players. And anything that means I have to design less is a good thing Wink

Oh yeah, I emailed the XBLA team and found out that games can be coded in any language when deciding for suitability for XBLA, so you should just send them Mono with an instruction guide either in game or in a text document. I would so love to play it on 360 in glorious HD. Also its the best portal for Indie developers like you, you'll make a killing. say if 500,000 people bought Mono for 400pts = 5

5 x 500,000 = 2,500,000 Million so either way you would be making a profit, if you ported it into C# it would make the process faster.

I just want something new from the Zoo.
I wish your figures were true but unfortunately they aren't Smiley There are just too many things stopping me from attempting that just now but maybe some day.  Even with a huge library of existing code it's taking me about a year to get something out so starting from scratch again just isn't an option for now.  I don't think one man has any realistic hope of getting an XBLA title out in their spare time.  Even working on it full time would be almost impossible.

I also need to finish my current project of "Rebound" (Working title) Should be good with a bit of polish.
Make sure we get to see it at some stage Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2007, 02:02:33 PM »

You be a fool, no make that a FOOL, not to release the editor too Smiley  You'd also have a thread here for folks to upload their level designs to and an option to load user levels in game.  And also (online) high score tables, zoots, etc for said levels.
Yeah you're right of course, I will release it.....although I'm still arguably a FOOL Wink

TheKhakinator
Chiptune Wizard
Playtester
1000 XP

Grav Corp, Moonfaker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2007, 02:23:33 PM »

Yeah you're right of course, I will release it.....although I'm still arguably a FOOL Wink
Stuff like that just bugs me for some reason. User created content... I have issues I think.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: