binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 10:53:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606641 times)
T_M_C
1000 XP

TMC

View Profile Email
« Reply #225 on: April 04, 2008, 10:47:48 AM »

Yeh thats an interesting discussion.

For me, the amount i code varies quite alot.  Some days i do a small bit, other days i can code all day and then some other days ,code all through the night as well.  But those all night sessions arnt very often.

I do like to code every day though, even if it's a small amount.  I like to think i'm making constant progress, no matter how small.

Obviously i suffer from tiredness too, so i make sure i get plenty of rest when i need it. 

But i'm pretty laid back about it all and am certainly in rush to reach milestones.  All in good time.  And i think the end result is better for it.

You cant rush art.   Grin

TMC
PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: April 04, 2008, 01:37:05 PM »

True. 

Or as the mighty Phil Collins said, "you can't hurry love."

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #227 on: April 04, 2008, 06:22:19 PM »

True. 

Yeah but he also said "Sussudio oh oh oh" so can you trust him?  BunnyMonkey!

Lyx
« Reply #228 on: April 05, 2008, 03:38:48 PM »

Yeah but he also said "Sussudio oh oh oh" so can you trust him?  BunnyMonkey!
Grin
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #229 on: April 06, 2008, 07:43:45 PM »

Day 6 - I Can See!

No progress for the last couple of days as I've been wiped out and resting.

Tonight I've just written the first of a few graphics classes with this one just handling images.  Pretty much all it does is load and display them as they are.  Rotation, scaling, colouring etc will be handled in the Sprite class when I write that.

I've also been thinking I'll rewrite my control code next though so it can handle multiplayer straight away.  At least local multiplayer anyway.  It wasn't so much an issue when writing stuff just for PC, but when considering the 360 then local multiplayer is something a lot of people do so I should be exploiting that where possible.  And it's much easier to add the code to do that now than to try and add it at a later date.  (Just make sure someone reminds me of this when I'm writing the player code so that can handle multiple players too  Tongue )

Whether I do Echoes, mono or something entirely different first, I'll have a stab at including a few different multiplayer modes.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 02:49:30 PM by fog » Logged

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 06, 2008, 10:03:52 PM »

No progress for the last couple of days as I've been wiped out and resting.

Tonight I've just written the first of a few graphics classes with this one just handling images.  Pretty much all it does is load and display them as they are.  Rotation, scaling, colouring etc will be handled in the Sprite class when I write that.

I've also been thinking I'll rewrite my control code next though so it can handle multiplayer straight away.  At least local multiplayer anyway.  It wasn't so much an issue when writing stuff just for PC, but when considering the 360 then local multiplayer is something a lot of people do so I should be exploiting that where possible.  And it's much easier to add the code to do that now than to try and add it at a later date.  (Just make sure someone reminds me of this when I'm writing the player code so that can handle multiple players too  Tongue )

Whether I do Echoes, mono or something entirely different first, I'll have a stab at including a few different multiplayer modes.

Good to hear your still muscling on in the coding front !

Local multiplayer is played by a lot of people ! Don't worry, I will remind you to code the players later.

The key is to just get yourself into a routine.
Lyx
« Reply #231 on: April 08, 2008, 06:57:50 AM »

Hi, just wanted to mention a rather simple yet efficient idea of which i was remembered when checking out Vector Tower Defense 2: Layered Music.

In TD, there is just one music song which loops over and over. However, at the beginning, only the basic tracks of the song are enabled, and as you progress through the game (in the case of a shooter, this would be levels), more and more tracks get switched on - with the effect, that the music feels to "progress" just as you progress through the game. Simple idea, but works very efficient IMO. Playing an echoes-type game would be a blast with such an "unfolding" soundtrack!

P.S.: If one of you didn't play the VTD games (there are three: VectorTD, VectorTDX and VectorTD2), then you definatelly SHOULD play it, even if just alone because of the music, especially VTD2.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 07:16:26 AM by Lyx » Logged
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #232 on: April 08, 2008, 12:08:43 PM »

Hi, just wanted to mention a rather simple yet efficient idea of which i was remembered when checking out Vector Tower Defense 2: Layered Music.

In TD, there is just one music song which loops over and over. However, at the beginning, only the basic tracks of the song are enabled, and as you progress through the game (in the case of a shooter, this would be levels), more and more tracks get switched on - with the effect, that the music feels to "progress" just as you progress through the game. Simple idea, but works very efficient IMO. Playing an echoes-type game would be a blast with such an "unfolding" soundtrack!

P.S.: If one of you didn't play the VTD games (there are three: VectorTD, VectorTDX and VectorTD2), then you definatelly SHOULD play it, even if just alone because of the music, especially VTD2.
Yup I loved VTD.  I've already done music in just the way you describe but had to ditch the idea becasue it was too slow under DBPro (something to do with decoding multiple mp3's I assume), but I may try it again under XNA.  That may well throw up an entirely different problem though as it only handles wav's and not mp3's from what I can see...so multiple wav soundtrack's mean a large download size.

PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: April 08, 2008, 01:36:16 PM »

Enable compression in your XACT project.  My 3 minute, 30+ meg wav file disappeared down to 4 meg on the 360 and 8 ish on Windows.  I'm sure I posted a link showing how to do that  but now I can't find it Huh

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
Lyx
« Reply #234 on: April 08, 2008, 03:15:12 PM »

On a literarily related note: I was quite surprised with the mixing quality of VTD2. Seeming very well done, especially for a flash game. Then i recorded it to take a closer look, and guess what: the music has 20dB headroom for the peaks! You dont even get that much dynamics in the crappy mastering of commercial music anymore, let alone videogames!
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #235 on: April 08, 2008, 03:59:59 PM »

Enable compression in your XACT project.  My 3 minute, 30+ meg wav file disappeared down to 4 meg on the 360 and 8 ish on Windows.  I'm sure I posted a link showing how to do that  but now I can't find it Huh
This is it...

http://blogs.msdn.com/mitchw/archive/2007/04/27/audio-compression-using-xact.aspx

I bookmarked it when you last posted it and it certainly makes a big difference to file sizes without making an obvious difference to the sound quality.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 08, 2008, 10:11:33 PM »

Hey Fog, just wondering, did you manage to get anything on screen ? Hoping all is going well !
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #237 on: April 08, 2008, 10:59:41 PM »

Hey Fog, just wondering, did you manage to get anything on screen ? Hoping all is going well !
I've been out, can't see properly, so very little progress. (*)

I've changed my Joypad code to handle local multiplayer now and I finally have a mouse pointer using my image class.  Tomorrow, all being well, I'll write either the sprite or animation classes.

EDIT:
(*) that sounded a bit suspect when I read it back lol  BunnyMonkey!....so just to clarify my eyes are only bloodshot and feel like someone's rubbed chili sauce in them due to an allergic reaction.  It's something I've had all my life, no big deal, and should be better in the morning Smiley
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 11:03:14 PM by fog » Logged

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #238 on: April 10, 2008, 03:03:42 PM »

Day 7 - Sprite-tastic.

Just putting the finishing touches, for now anyway, to the sprite class.  So that takes the images and rotates, scales, colours etc them and displays them on the screen.  All fairly painful stuff to code really.

There are a few Spritebatch options that I haven't looked into yet and I'm not sure what the most efficient way of sorting and displaying them is but I wont worry about that until much later.....or until I run intor performance issues anyway.

Anyway my eyesight is back to normal today and I'm not feeling too tired so I might even get the animation class done before the day is out.  Kang-a-roo!

As this is effectively the end of a week of using XNA (albeit spread out over longer) it's worth seeing how much I've managed to get done spending an hour or two a day as I think it says a lot for how simple XNA has been to pick up.  Remembering that I came into this with no C++/C# or OOP experience, in a very short space of time we have essentially complete image, sprite, sound, music and input classes....the backbone on which all games will be built.

I'm sure I'll hit problems and stumble across things I don't like eventually, but so far XNA has been excellent.  Everything from the editor to the documentation to the structuring and relative simplicity of the language has been fantastic compared to what I've come from.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2008, 09:44:43 PM »

Day 8 - God might have had a rest by now but I'm still going...

I now have the animation class all sorted and linked in with the sprites so that's all the basic display stuff finished.  Come to think of it, I still have the bitmap font stuff to code, but that shouldn't be too hard and I don't really need that just yet.  I'll get some game or other up and running and then go back and add the proper font code.

Our games aren't exactly known for their fancy animations, but I do like to have the option to use them and have done occasionally (the powerup icons in Echoes being one example, although I dare say a lot of people hadn't even noticed they were animated  Smiley )

So anyway to test this and the input code, I dived in and wrote the framework for the player code....and yes I remembered to make it multiplayer JDog Wink .  So we now have the traditional Binary Zoo players sprite moving around under joypad control.  He's a little bored ATM as there isn't a lot for him to do or look at but we'll soon fix that  BunnyMonkey!

Testing of that joypad code showed up a small error and nearly gave me a heart attack in the process.  I had one of my joypad class flags set to "true" by mistake, meaning that when the Update method was called vibration in the joypad was activated, and it proceeded to rattle its way across my glass desk, making a ridiculous racket and nearly necessitating a change or underwear.

Some bugs can slip by unnoticed, but it's fair to say I spotted that one  Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: