binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 07:46:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30167 Posts in 1158 Topics by 194 Members
Latest Member: RobertHedge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 164 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 605676 times)
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 21, 2008, 05:03:59 PM »

I think you should do Echoes or a something simple like Crack, because the background for Mono was ludicrous from what I can tell, but  do always say you should port mono to xbox, so go ahead, mono would be great !
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #256 on: April 23, 2008, 02:40:53 PM »

I think you should do Echoes or a something simple like Crack, because the background for Mono was ludicrous from what I can tell, but  do always say you should port mono to xbox, so go ahead, mono would be great !
In what way was the mono background ludicrous?  Do you mean from a gameplay point of view or coding?  The coding of the original version couldn't have been simpler.  I simply modified the background colours in a Memblock and distorted the background by altering the sprite texture co=ordinate UV's.

The demo version of the background, which a few people have tested but I've never properly released, is a 3D mesh though and that's hopefully what I would do with the XNA version.  And I would really need that for the extras I want to put in the "proper" version......if I do write mono that is Wink

Day 11 - It's Not a Binary Zoo Game Without Blur....

Been working a bit on my background routines.  The backgrounds themselves tend to be quite sparse in game but I still do a few little things with them.

So I need to be able to do things like assign an image to the background, change the amount of motion blurring, adjust the colour and distort the image where necessary.  I also need an easy way of automatically handling temporary changes so if I say colour the screen white when there is a big explosion, I need the update code to slowly fade that back to the original screen colours without me having to worry about it.

That's the basic stuff anyway and I had all that in the old game engine so I've been porting it across to XNA.  And while doing so I've stumbled across a couple of other funky things that I can do that would have been impossible or too slow in DBPro so I've added them in too.  I may or may not use them but they are at least an option now.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 23, 2008, 02:49:41 PM »

I meant from a coding perspective, but I guess I was wrong ! Great stuff ! It seems like you have taken to XNA like a Programmer to a new IDE. So I guess you are going to start to code Mono properly now ! Will it be Mono HD ?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #258 on: April 23, 2008, 03:07:10 PM »

I meant from a coding perspective, but I guess I was wrong !
Yeah the background coding in mono was fairly simple.  It was still too slow to run properly in DBPro though so the background image is smaller than the screen and stretched to fit, plus I only update the colours 3 times a second....I don't think anyone really notices though Smiley  I seemed to spend half my time in the past tweaking stuff to try and get it to run at a decent speed so, hopefully, with XNA I can do a little bit less of that.

So I guess you are going to start to code Mono properly now ! Will it be Mono HD ?
Well it will be HD just because of the resolution but it certainly wouldn't be called that.  It would have the name that I came up with a couple of years ago when I first thought about doing a proper version Smiley

Notice I said "would".  I'm still not 100% sure it will be mono.  I'll see how my experiments in XNA and more importantly time goes before finally deciding.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 23, 2008, 03:39:26 PM »

So, of what you have seen of XNA so far, would you say its better than DBPro so far ?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #260 on: April 24, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »

So, of what you have seen of XNA so far, would you say its better than DBPro so far ?
I don't know, lets see...

The IDE in XNA is much better offering loads of features, help files etc that even the 3rd party DBPro ones can't compete with.  The compiler is much faster and actually reports errors properly.  In DBPro I had to buy a new PC because compile times were taking 2-3 minutes, and if you ever got an error reported it was never on the line it said it was so wave goodbye to a load more time as you try to track it down.

As far as the language itself is concerned it's only a little more complicated than BASIC if you want it to be.  You can go a lot lower level than in DBPro if you need to, but you can easily ignore all that if you want to.  So in essence it is a lot more flexible, allows you to do a lot of things you simply couldn't do in DBPro, and speed wise there appears to be no comparison.

Add to that, it's free and I can develop for PC, XBox360 and Zune if I want to.  The only slight downside are the additional requirements of PC users (.NET etc) but DBPro has caused as many problem over the years with its reliance on the latest versions of DirectX.

The argument in favour of DBPro has always been that it's easier and you get much faster results than you would if you say coded in C++, but that doesn't really stand up too well against XNA and I'm struggling to think of a single area where DBPro has the edge.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 27, 2008, 06:42:07 PM »

So pretty much XNA is the new DBPro ! Just with more support, better language more powerful code suitable for 360 and Zune aswell !!

Any updates to speak of ?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #262 on: April 28, 2008, 01:02:08 PM »

So pretty much XNA is the new DBPro ! Just with more support, better language more powerful code suitable for 360 and Zune aswell !!
Well XNA is better in almost every way, but DBPro does what it set out to do reasonably well.  The complete lack of progress for years in key areas (to me) were what made me start looking elsewhere.

Any updates to speak of ?
Nope.  Been wiped out for a few days so just been relaxing and playing a few games....something I haven't done enough of recently.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #263 on: May 01, 2008, 08:09:34 PM »

Still no progress to report.  GTA and family have kept me busy for a couple of days but I'll be back on the case at the weekend.  Bullets are in my sights.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #264 on: May 14, 2008, 08:57:14 PM »

Day 12 - Shaderzzzzzzzzzzz

After a semi enforced break I've returned and thought what better way to ease myself back in gently than to look at something completely new...shaders.  As everything so far is very much 2D this is strictly pixely shader territory and none of that vertex related malarkey.  Not that I know anything about either mind  Tongue

Well I guess I now know a little about pixel shaders or HLSL or something equally as meaningless, but just enough to get them to work and no real understanding of how they do it at a technical level.  Not that I ever care about that sort of detail mind.  I code something, it works, so who cares what hoops the hardware is jumping through to get my final image to appear on screen.

Anyhoo enough.  I now have the basics of the pixel shader side of my screen handling code in place.  It's structured in the same way as the rest of my routines so I can simply switch various effects on and off, adjust their positioning and strength, and decide whether they only effect the background image, the foreground image, or both.

The pixel shader routines themselves weren't too tricky, but to allow me to apply them to specific layers of the screen (see above) it meant rewriting a chunk of my existing background and sprite drawing code.  Hopefully I didn't break some existing routine in the process  BunnyMonkey!

So that's another thing to cross off the list.  Much like the camera code, animations etc I might not use it straight away but it's in there and some game sooner or later will make use of it.  And I'd much rather take a little longer now putting all these things in that I might some day need than try and butcher my code to add them at a later date.

I might even post a screen shot next time.  Kang-a-roo!

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

tomassetti13@hotmail.com folkefiendar
View Profile Email
« Reply #265 on: May 15, 2008, 10:52:45 AM »

Don't ever worry about learning how shaders work... not even Crytek understands considering the performance of their shader heavy games.  Grin

My Achievements Earned:

Sit on my ass and do nothing for 2 hours - CHECK
Stare at a computer screen for more than an hour - CHECK
Ignore those around me for more than 10 hours - CHECK
Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 15, 2008, 06:59:52 PM »

Please post some screenshots ! I wanna see some of your exploits ! I'll also post some I guess.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #267 on: May 15, 2008, 07:49:20 PM »

Don't ever worry about learning how shaders work... not even Crytek understands considering the performance of their shader heavy games.  Grin
Well performance isn't something I've even considered yet so I'll resist any urge to comment about their incompetence.  BunnyMonkey!

Please post some screenshots ! I wanna see some of your exploits ! I'll also post some I guess.
I will when I feel it's worthwhile.  I'm effectively starting again from scratch so anything I post right now is going to look much worse than what I've done previously and so feels like a backward step.  (Certainly to me if not everyone else).

Just posting a screeny of a few particles on screen for the hell of it isn't the way I do things. Smiley

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 15, 2008, 08:49:34 PM »

Well performance isn't something I've even considered yet so I'll resist any urge to comment about their incompetence.  BunnyMonkey!

I will when I feel it's worthwhile.  I'm effectively starting again from scratch so anything I post right now is going to look much worse than what I've done previously and so feels like a backward step.  (Certainly to me if not everyone else).

Just posting a screeny of a few particles on screen for the hell of it isn't the way I do things. Smiley

oooh, that last one was cold =(. I know what you mean ! Why do you think I don't show people stuff if theres not much to see. The asteroid demo was to show you my tech Fog ! Speaking of which, i'll be churning out some little projects soon. I recently got my Mini game template completed so all I have to do is drop in my game code in the main section !
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #269 on: June 02, 2008, 10:24:56 PM »

Day 13 - Bulletzzzzzzzzz

Long time no update. (and not entirely down to GTA either  s-s-snake! )

Anyway it's bullet time.  No, not that chronically overused slow motion effect that now infects every game genre, but simple, honest bullet sprites....and lots and lots of em.  And, well they work.  Not really a lot else to say really.

Of course there aren't any enemies on screen yet for them to hit, and I haven't written the weapon code that defines the fancy bullet patterns I'm fond of, but if you're looking for something that moves slowly across the screen in a straight line, not interacting with anything, and basically serving no purpose, then boy you would love this.

I suspect though that not many people will find that anything worth getting excited over, so next I'll knock up the weapon code and we can start banging out some crazy bullet patterns.  I should be able to copy the old patterns from mono of Echoes to test it out quickly, but if all goes well we should have a bit more power to play with this time around, so I can try some crazier, more destructive weapon designs than ever.  BunnyMonkey!

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 164 Go Up Print 
Jump to: