binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 23, 2018, 01:55:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30179 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 607202 times)
PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: July 13, 2008, 05:36:46 PM »

What happens on a new level?  A new enemy type?  Arena layout changes?  A screen clear? 

In the demo, the  overall mission is to fill the screen so having that objective each level might cheapen this cool gameplay technique ("oh I just filled the screen again" opposed to "ZOMG!!!111!! I FILLED THE FOOKIN' SCREEN - WOOHOO!!!  IN YOUR FACE MONO".  Maybe the level automatically progresses every 10% (or whatever) so the main aim is still to fill the screen but cool things get unlocked the more you fill. 10% Smart Bombs, 20% freeze time, 30% Glowing Bonios of Doom!, etc.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 05:38:52 PM by PaulCunningham » Logged

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

tomassetti13@hotmail.com folkefiendar
View Profile Email
« Reply #316 on: July 13, 2008, 07:02:54 PM »

Maybe there could be a system of barter in the game?  Tongue

Well, actually, something that might prove interesting, but would need serious balance testing, would be earning a form of currency from killing enemies, then every 10% or so (however long a level could be), bring up a sort of shop window for some odd upgrades to purchase, different shield styles, more powerful weapon sets (each weapon set being affected differently by upgrades, example: Weapon set A gets upgrades to shooting styles 1 2 3 4, and then set B gets access to shooting styles A B C D, same thing when pertaining to shield types.)

Which could lead to another gameplay aspect actually: The levels actually being part of a bigger map. Say you have region of squares, 2x5, each square representing 10 % of the full "picture", each having their own distinct enemies and difficulty, etc. And the goal of course is to turn this entire area black (for whatever reason... you can add a quirky little mini story).

My Achievements Earned:

Sit on my ass and do nothing for 2 hours - CHECK
Stare at a computer screen for more than an hour - CHECK
Ignore those around me for more than 10 hours - CHECK
Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #317 on: July 13, 2008, 07:19:36 PM »

Maybe there could be a system of barter in the game?  Tongue

Well, actually, something that might prove interesting, but would need serious balance testing, would be earning a form of currency from killing enemies, then every 10% or so (however long a level could be), bring up a sort of shop window for some odd upgrades to purchase, different shield styles, more powerful weapon sets (each weapon set being affected differently by upgrades, example: Weapon set A gets upgrades to shooting styles 1 2 3 4, and then set B gets access to shooting styles A B C D, same thing when pertaining to shield types.)

Which could lead to another gameplay aspect actually: The levels actually being part of a bigger map. Say you have region of squares, 2x5, each square representing 10 % of the full "picture", each having their own distinct enemies and difficulty, etc. And the goal of course is to turn this entire area black (for whatever reason... you can add a quirky little mini story).
IMO (for what it's worth) the simplicity of mono was why it found fairly wide appeal.  It was so easy to understand that anyone knew what they had to do, how to do it and could clearly see how well they were doing.  My worry is that adding anything, however well thought out through it is, might somehow confuse and unnecessarily complicate things.

I'm complicating things slightly by adding levels, but the core gameplay remains the same.

Although I did say I would add a stupid backstory when someone suggested it a while ago so thanks for volunteering for that.   BunnyMonkey!

What happens on a new level?  A new enemy type?  Arena layout changes?  A screen clear? 
Yeah each new level would start with a clear screen with the main difference between them being the enemy type (there are other cosmetic changes but nothing that will overly effect the gameplay).

In the demo, the  overall mission is to fill the screen so having that objective each level might cheapen this cool gameplay technique ("oh I just filled the screen again" opposed to "ZOMG!!!111!! I FILLED THE FOOKIN' SCREEN - WOOHOO!!!  IN YOUR FACE MONO".  Maybe the level automatically progresses every 10% (or whatever) so the main aim is still to fill the screen but cool things get unlocked the more you fill. 10% Smart Bombs, 20% freeze time, 30% Glowing Bonios of Doom!, etc.
Yeah I appreciate the appeal of the demo version was in many ways it's simplicity with just having the single screen to clear.  I'm confident I can introduce a level structure without totally destroying that though.

Anyway this is one of the reasons I have several game modes.  Apart from the multiplayer and chill-out modes mentioned elsewhere the main game mode is where it's at.

In the main mode you tackle each level in sequence as you would in most other games, fulfilling the previously discussed % goal to progress to the next.  Once unlocked though any level can be replayed at any time to see if the highscore on that level can be beaten.  This should hopefully help maintain some of the "single level" appeal of the demo, as players can concentrate on perfecting each one without worrying about the others.

Additionally each level contains a different enemy and while the overall goal to colour the screen remains the same, the design of the enemies will mean a different strategy will be needed on each level to attain the best score.  Working out a technique that worked best in the demo and perfecting it was half the appeal IMO Smiley

Anyway until I have a few levels running and some playtesting feedback it's all, um, guesswork (god I love the development process) and if I'm wrong then reality and his army of internet opinions is waiting in the wings to give my ego a good kicking Smiley
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 07:22:53 PM by fog » Logged

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #318 on: July 13, 2008, 08:02:17 PM »

Although I did say I would add a stupid backstory when someone suggested it a while ago so thanks for volunteering for that.   BunnyMonkey!

As long as it takes place in the Palette Galaxy in a war between 2 very different sects of the Contrastian race, a story would be great!

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 13, 2008, 09:26:50 PM »

For leaderboard sake with Mono I would say, have a score aswell so people can have a percentage and score, since some or many people may get the same percent. Just helps organise ranks and the like.

As for level progression have it based on percent as you'd said, seems logical, but have a game mode of the original Mono in the game anyway so they are seperate from teh story/progression style game, i.e best of both worlds...just my two cents.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #320 on: July 13, 2008, 10:20:25 PM »

As long as it takes place in the Palette Galaxy in a war between 2 very different sects of the Contrastian race, a story would be great!
Now you need to get very drunk (like you need an reason) and finish that story.  BunnyMonkey!

As for level progression have it based on percent as you'd said, seems logical, but have a game mode of the original Mono in the game anyway so they are seperate from teh story/progression style game, i.e best of both worlds...just my two cents.
If you read back a couple of posts you'll see that's effectively what I'm doing by allowing the player to tackle any single level on it's own.

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #321 on: July 13, 2008, 10:30:29 PM »

Now you need to get very drunk (like you need an reason) and finish that story.  BunnyMonkey!

You know, I just wrote a small story, but then I took a look at it and read it over and realized I had just written something extremely, but very unintentionally, racist. Needless to say, I wiped it away from my computer screen before anyone had the chance to see it and take it the wrong way.

I'll have to put a little more thought into it, haha.

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #322 on: July 14, 2008, 12:11:28 AM »

You know, I just wrote a small story, but then I took a look at it and read it over and realized I had just written something extremely, but very unintentionally, racist. Needless to say, I wiped it away from my computer screen before anyone had the chance to see it and take it the wrong way.

lol.  Yeah you can guarantee any mention of black vs white would be taken the wrong way.  In fact these days any mention of red, green or blue will probably have the politically correct brigade down on us like a ton of bricks.

And no mention of any colour could be tricky when talking about mono.   BunnyMonkey!

EricT
1000 XP

I sleep with FOG.

View Profile Email
« Reply #323 on: July 14, 2008, 12:21:54 AM »

lol.  Yeah you can guarantee any mention of black vs white would be taken the wrong way.  In fact these days any mention of red, green or blue will probably have the politically correct brigade down on us like a ton of bricks.

And no mention of any colour could be tricky when talking about mono.   BunnyMonkey!
I'm currently on beer 3, after I watch Top Gear, I should be on 7 and I can most likely be able to create a story of epic proportions that swiftly avoids any race related issues.  Grin

My Achievements Earned:

Kill 2 hookers - 1 To Go
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #324 on: July 22, 2008, 07:32:09 PM »

Well all the old mono weapons are now working in the new version.  Fairly pointless as I plan on redesigning them but at least I know all the weapon and bullet code works.  Kang-a-roo!

As mentioned earlier, I just need to redesign the bullet patterns so there is a more linear progressing through them, rather than a number of totally different designs organized into some sort of order.

And I still haven't decided whether to use powerups or natural weapon progression.  Powerups are shading it ATM, but much will depend on how the rest of the game design pans out.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 25, 2008, 06:53:46 PM »

Well all the old mono weapons are now working in the new version.  Fairly pointless as I plan on redesigning them but at least I know all the weapon and bullet code works.  Kang-a-roo!

As mentioned earlier, I just need to redesign the bullet patterns so there is a more linear progressing through them, rather than a number of totally different designs organized into some sort of order.

And I still haven't decided whether to use powerups or natural weapon progression.  Powerups are shading it ATM, but much will depend on how the rest of the game design pans out.

Your choice really Fog, you usually (always) make the right decision ! I suppose you should start to throw enemies around on screen ?

incase you were going to ask, which you weren't but hey...I'll be adding part 4 on my site soon.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #326 on: July 25, 2008, 11:11:04 PM »

Your choice really Fog, you usually (always) make the right decision ! I suppose you should start to throw enemies around on screen ?
Indeed.  It's impossible to decide without enemies on screen and a bit of playtesting...which is why design docs are a restrictive waste of time.  BunnyMonkey!

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 26, 2008, 10:58:42 AM »

Indeed.  It's impossible to decide without enemies on screen and a bit of playtesting...which is why design docs are a restrictive waste of time.  BunnyMonkey!

I now, thanks to you have abandoned the idea of design docs, I just know roughly, what i'd like to achieve, if the end result is a little different then its probably for the better.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #328 on: July 26, 2008, 01:53:01 PM »

I now, thanks to you have abandoned the idea of design docs, I just know roughly, what i'd like to achieve, if the end result is a little different then its probably for the better.
Good God man.  You should know by now never to listen to me.  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #329 on: July 28, 2008, 07:54:08 PM »

This week I'll be tackling another one of those supposedly minor command sets that almost go unnoticed, but take a disproportionate amount of coding.  Vectors of the line, object and text variety.  BunnyMonkey!

Having looked at my old code I don't foresee and problems though and it should be a relatively easy porting process.  Now where have I heard that before.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: