binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 01:00:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606513 times)
PaulCunningham
Playtester
200 XP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: August 15, 2008, 01:00:24 PM »

fog mate, make sure you check out Exception.StackTrace.

And look into TraceListeners.  These babies can be turned on / off at runtime via simple config file switches so you can leave your full debug messages in the code and turn on when needed (like when a user is running a RELEASE build and they encounter a problem - which is what happens in real life innit)

Cheers,
Paul Cunningham
Pumpkin Games
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #346 on: August 15, 2008, 06:15:44 PM »

Although right now I'm doing everything I can to put off writing any menu code  Tongue
I've got you covered on this one remember?
Don't worry I'm not going to forget that in a hurry.  It's all the sub menus, highscore tables, controller configuration stuff that I need to write that I'm avoiding Smiley

fog mate, make sure you check out Exception.StackTrace.

And look into TraceListeners.  These babies can be turned on / off at runtime via simple config file switches so you can leave your full debug messages in the code and turn on when needed (like when a user is running a RELEASE build and they encounter a problem - which is what happens in real life innit)
Now that's sounds like exactly what I need.  Using compiler directives works, but also being able to access debug stuff in the release version if necessary is obviously a huge benefit.  Cheers.

I'll make a programer yet Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #347 on: August 18, 2008, 05:25:50 PM »

Not done anything at all for a few days as I was so exhausted I could barely move.  Illness sucks.  BunnyMonkey!

Back on the case tomorrow hopefully...

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 19, 2008, 02:17:13 PM »

Not done anything at all for a few days as I was so exhausted I could barely move.  Illness sucks.  BunnyMonkey!

I've taken the plunge and am infact forcing myself to Learn C#. Its pretty tricky but can imagine it being satisfying when you get anything done. I'll keep you posted. Don't worry, site is due a few major updates this week, i'll keep you posted.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #349 on: August 19, 2008, 06:28:41 PM »

I've taken the plunge and am infact forcing myself to Learn C#. Its pretty tricky but can imagine it being satisfying when you get anything done. I'll keep you posted. Don't worry, site is due a few major updates this week, i'll keep you posted.
Excellent mate Smiley  Just wait until you get something, however simple, running on the 360.  It's hugely satisfying.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 19, 2008, 07:19:43 PM »

Excellent mate Smiley  Just wait until you get something, however simple, running on the 360.  It's hugely satisfying.

Should be especialy good since CC membership is free for me since i'm a student.

Oh, I was reading elsewhere and found out theres a new parrallel XBLA called the Xbox Live Community Games or XBLCG where developers submit thier games for peer review then they will be added to the list of games, thus forcing exposure of games and the developer gets to make a return on spending time making the game. PC releases of the game are still up to the original developer. Considered it Fog or heard about it ?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #351 on: August 20, 2008, 11:36:38 AM »

Should be especialy good since CC membership is free for me since i'm a student.

Oh, I was reading elsewhere and found out theres a new parrallel XBLA called the Xbox Live Community Games or XBLCG where developers submit thier games for peer review then they will be added to the list of games, thus forcing exposure of games and the developer gets to make a return on spending time making the game. PC releases of the game are still up to the original developer. Considered it Fog or heard about it ?
Yeah that announcement is the only reason I've stuck with XNA.  Before Community Games there was no proper distribution for games on the 360 so it was a bit pointless, but now that's all changed.  Hopefully they will get the freeware option added soon too.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #352 on: August 22, 2008, 09:07:26 PM »

Just done something very satisfying. (No, not what you're thinking Eric Wink )

I needed to modify my image/animation code to handle multiple animation frames on a single image.  My old code which I originally ported into XNA just used a separate file for every image of an animation, but this is obviously inefficient so I needed to rewrite it to load a single image and then display the relevant portion of it depending on which frame of the animation I needed to display.

In theory it shouldn't have been a bit job, however as these were among the first classes I wrote in XNA and I've learned a lot since then, I decided to just obliterate the lot and start again.  Needless to say that as just about every other part of the game engine relies on images,sprites etc of some kind, this immediately threw up literally hundreds of errors.  There's nothing scarier as a coder than having code that wont compile.  Even if your code doesn't work in the way you intended, if it compiles then it's reassuring as at worst you've got a typo or a logic error somewhere.  BunnyMonkey!

Anyway one by one the errors disappeared and when I finished the 4 classes I'd originally obliterated had been rewritten as 3 new ones with the old sprite and animation classes being combined.  Like I said, rather satisfying as it convinced me that I have a better understanding of the language now and, more importantly, should give a little boost to performance.  And being able to throw a few more enemies, bullets and particles around can only be a good thing right? Wink

Now can anyone remember what I was supposed to be working on next or do I have to read back through this thread to find out where I got sidetracked?  BunnyMonkey!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:09:25 PM by fog » Logged

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #353 on: August 25, 2008, 06:32:16 PM »

Finally updated the FX code to allow for dynamic scaling.  You can do everything else imaginable with the particle FX so god knows why I've overlooked scaling until now.

But I'm having one of those days.  After changing the FX code I found out that my Joypad was no longer working and spent a few minutes searching through the code to see what the problem was.  Obviously it was nothing to do with the code at all, as the FX and Input classes are totally unrelated.  I'd just forgotten that I'd unplugged the Joypad  Roll Eyes

It's amazing I ever get anything to work  Smiley

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: August 25, 2008, 07:28:37 PM »

I know the feeling. I've spent ages looking through input code on the Zune going, "why is nothing working?!" only to find out that my Zune was on hold all along. Smiley

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #355 on: August 26, 2008, 11:11:40 AM »

I know the feeling. I've spent ages looking through input code on the Zune going, "why is nothing working?!" only to find out that my Zune was on hold all along. Smiley

Mo
Fool Wink  You'd never catch me doing something stupid like that  Grin

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #356 on: August 28, 2008, 08:02:21 PM »

We've got no hope of inducing seizures as things stand at the moment so I'm now working on my Screen FX routines.  I refer to Screen FX as effects, constant or temporary, that work over the whole screen such as screen shaking, background changes,  shaderzzz and those seizure inducing screen flashes.

The bulk of the variables and definitions are already done, so all I need to do now is link it into my existing code so that calling a Screen FX actually has some effect.

Once that's done all my effect code is complete and can handle anything I need, with all the systems linked together.  So calling a single command like "FX.Create("big explosion")" automatically triggers as many different particle effects as I want, any screen FX such as shaking and flashing, any necessary sound effect and will also trigger the joypad rumble if necessary.

It's quite a flexible system and being able to call all those different elements with one command means it couldn't be easier to use and code remains nice and easy to read.

SiN
Escaped from The Zoo
500 XP

Caffeine Monster Software

View Profile WWW
« Reply #357 on: August 29, 2008, 04:27:13 AM »

Old post, I know, but I've been meaning to ask ...

I've only really started keeping the to-do list because there's an app for it on the iPhone and, as you tend to carry your phone everywhere, it's handy being able to quickly jot down ideas wherever you are.  Hell you never know, but I might stop getting sidetracked as easily with a list to guide me.  Although I hope not  BunnyMonkey!

I assume you're talking about Notes, yes? Or do you use another app? I use Notes for Geomex quite extensively. While playing, I notice something that needs tweaking, switch to Notes, jot it down, and get back to playing. Super handy. Smiley

Mo

binary zoo mobile developer | 32x32 . duotrix . geomex . smiley's shooty adventure . by caffeine monster software | my blog
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #358 on: August 29, 2008, 10:36:56 AM »

Old post, I know, but I've been meaning to ask ...

I've only really started keeping the to-do list because there's an app for it on the iPhone and, as you tend to carry your phone everywhere, it's handy being able to quickly jot down ideas wherever you are.  Hell you never know, but I might stop getting sidetracked as easily with a list to guide me.  Although I hope not  BunnyMonkey!

I assume you're talking about Notes, yes? Or do you use another app? I use Notes for Geomex quite extensively. While playing, I notice something that needs tweaking, switch to Notes, jot it down, and get back to playing. Super handy. Smiley

Mo
No, I'm using "DoBot ToDos" which is free from the App Store (in the productivity category).  It's fairly simple but it allows for multiple lists, notes on each list item and setting priorities or due dates.  It's not perfect, but hey it's free. Smiley

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #359 on: September 01, 2008, 08:01:41 PM »

Been too ill to do much for a few days but today I made a little progress.

In hindsight maybe spending that time testing nothing but screen shaking and flashing routines wasn't the best idea.  My eyes!  BunnyMonkey!

I've also put together my "Game" class.  I use this to put any game specific code in (such as the mono background routine) which means the only changes I ever do to my game engine code are general improvements or bug fixes that will be carried forward from project to project.  Everything else in the "Game" class can just be deleted when using the engine for a new game.  Much easier.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: