binary zoo
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 01:02:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
30178 Posts in 1158 Topics by 195 Members
Latest Member: dianeanderson
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  binary zoo
|-+  Binary Zoo
| |-+  Diary of a Game
| | |-+  The Binary Zoo Bog
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 165 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Binary Zoo Bog  (Read 606522 times)
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #360 on: September 08, 2008, 02:09:21 PM »

Just a little more progress.  I've added temporary buffer changes to my whole Screen FX routines.  All of which means absolutely nothing to most people, but resizing the buffer is an effect used by a lot of games and the results are kind of nice.  All you need know is that it's another way to generally mess with the screen image to create some pleasing effects.  Although unlike the shaderzzz that I mentioned earlier which only effect the background, this effects the whole screen so I need to use it sparingly if things aren't to get too distracting.

I've also been doing a bit of experimenting.  I wonder what the rules are regarding subliminal messages in games?  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #361 on: September 18, 2008, 07:47:54 PM »

Well I never did find out what the rules about subliminal messages in games are, but I can now do them....although in truth I'd make them stay on screen long enough for you to realise they were there.  This means they aren't subliminal but, er, liminal, superliminal, sublime?  God knows.

The lovely eee PC means I can now do little chunks of coding on a more regular basis now so hopefully we'll see some results of that soon.

Although the eee PC's smaller screen res hasn't caused any problems it has made me realise that I need to tidy up my code a bit so I've spent what time I could over the last few days doing just that.  Adding #regions so I can collapse chunks of code for easier viewing, adding comments so I know what regions contain without having to open them up and just generally reformatting stuff.  I now have a new No.1 entry on my list of incredibly tedious coding tasks.  BunnyMonkey!

Next up I'm getting a little bored of doing all these little essential but not terribly rewarding sections of code so I'll have a go at adding the powerup class.  That should be reasonably straight forward (he says knowing he'll regret it again) and this time, because of the way the code is structured I can have them moving and possibly effected by gravity if the game calls for it.  In previous code they were very much stationary objects, but no longer.

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 25, 2008, 11:07:52 AM »

Sounds pretty darned sweet Fog ! I've decided to plumb for a regular laptop instead of a eee PC. Oh and C# although tricky isn't impossible and I appear to be making lots of progress. Its just a shame I prefer actionscript and love programming in Flash !
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #363 on: September 25, 2008, 05:53:45 PM »

Sounds pretty darned sweet Fog ! I've decided to plumb for a regular laptop instead of a eee PC. Oh and C# although tricky isn't impossible and I appear to be making lots of progress. Its just a shame I prefer actionscript and love programming in Flash !
Yeah I have a regular laptop too.  In fact Echoes was entirely developed on that.

Performance wise my lappy is better than the eee PC, but it simply can't compete in terms of portability and the fact I can fire it up anywhere in a matter of seconds.  Even if I have the laptop with me it's not worth the hassle of getting it out unless I have a good chunk of free time.  The eee PC has serious limitations, but it does what it does brilliantly IMO.

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #364 on: September 30, 2008, 12:38:55 PM »

eeePC development still working great  Smiley  It looks kinda funny when I plug in a 360 joypad to do some testing as the joypad is almost as big as the PC, but as a tool to help me get some work done it's already proving priceless.

Not so much development as redevelopment over the past few days.  I'd ported my own camera class code across from DBPro to XNA a while back and it worked fine.  It allowed for camera panning, rotation, scaling etc while using 2D sprites and was pretty funky even though I'd only ever used it in a couple of unreleased projects (the "full" version of Crack being the most recent).

Anyway as with all learning processes I've realised that was all a bit unnecessary as there is a much easier way to do it using matrix transformations (which I'm not even going to pretend that I fully understand  BunnyMonkey! )  I could have left the old code as it worked fine, but using this new method the code is much simplified and no doubt considerably faster so it was a job worth doing.  Kang-a-roo!

Of course nothings ever that simple and the new code sort of breaks some of my existing Screen FX routines (like the screen shaking code) so I'll have to fix them, but ultimately it will make things "better".....although sometimes it's difficult to work out whether just leaving the existing code and moving on might really be the "better" option  BunnyMonkey!

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #365 on: October 30, 2008, 06:39:20 PM »

Long time no update Smiley  Had a few illness enforced breaks, but still ticking along.

I wont go into all the boring details, but I essentially have the basic shmup engine up and running now with all the elements you would expect (audio, fx, bullets, powerups, enemies blah blah) so now it's time to build a game around that.  And there is an absolute load of Xbox360 support code that needs to be written as well for handling profiles, save games, storage devices etc etc.  What fun  BunnyMonkey!

As well as my own development I've been doing a bit of testing for SiN's joint Binary Zoo & Caffeine Monster release for the 360 (with PC and Zune versions to possibly follow).  I wont say any more other than it's really awesome and you know who to blame if my own developments have sliiped slightly recently  Smiley

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 02, 2008, 01:07:35 AM »

Sounds like everything is chugging along fine Fog. Can't wait for a release from you and working with Caffeine MSoft will be good (I know you've done it before, just not with the different company names). Either way, glad you are liking C# and XNA so much.

Good news is i'm just about fluent in C# since i'm doing a programming degree, this does mean however that I have no time at all to do any personal programming.

keep up the great work its good to hear from you.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #367 on: November 02, 2008, 10:18:05 PM »

Sounds like everything is chugging along fine Fog. Can't wait for a release from you and working with Caffeine MSoft will be good (I know you've done it before, just not with the different company names). Either way, glad you are liking C# and XNA so much.

Good news is i'm just about fluent in C# since i'm doing a programming degree, this does mean however that I have no time at all to do any personal programming.

Yeah still chugging along JDog.  Excellent news on the programing degree.  Good luck with that Smiley

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 02, 2008, 11:03:59 PM »

Yeah still chugging along JDog.  Excellent news on the programing degree.  Good luck with that Smiley

Thanks ! The main reason I chose to do the degree was to force me to finish projects. Our first project is an ASCII version of Battleships/ It should be good once its completed...if its ever completed. deadline in 6 weeks.

Anyway, its good to hear everything is going ok.

Oh 360 release, hopefully PC too ?
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #369 on: November 03, 2008, 01:26:50 PM »

Thanks ! The main reason I chose to do the degree was to force me to finish projects. Our first project is an ASCII version of Battleships/ It should be good once its completed...if its ever completed. deadline in 6 weeks.

Anyway, its good to hear everything is going ok.

Oh 360 release, hopefully PC too ?

Yeah it's initially a 360 release, with PC and Zune possibly to follow (if Microsoft ever pull their finger out on the Zune front  Tongue )

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 03, 2008, 10:46:49 PM »

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that my lecturer for C# is Rob Miles, they guy that wrote the book you initially learned XNA through. he is a very good teacher with a good sense of humour.
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #371 on: November 07, 2008, 10:28:32 AM »

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that my lecturer for C# is Rob Miles, they guy that wrote the book you initially learned XNA through. he is a very good teacher with a good sense of humour.
Cool.  I didn't really "learn" XNA from that book as it's a bit too basic for my needs, but it certainly did convince me that there was nothing to be worried about when jumping from Basic to C#.  For that I'm grateful Smiley

JDog053
Playtester
1000 XP

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 07, 2008, 07:10:12 PM »

Yeah it surprised me just how close to Actionscript C# is, which really helped the transfer from one language to the next.

good news is Battleships is completed 6 weeks ahead of the deadline. I just need to optimize the code and make it look prettier.

How would you publish the code as a standalone exe file ? I am yet at a blank when it comes to that.

Congratz on DUOtris+. Shame you can't have leaderboards online, but I will be playing it alot when I download it soon !
fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #373 on: November 09, 2008, 08:28:31 PM »

How would you publish the code as a standalone exe file ? I am yet at a blank when it comes to that.
Have a look in explorer.  Under your project's folder there should be a "bin > x86 > release" folder.  You need the exe from there along with any media content

fog
Zookeeper
1000 XP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #374 on: November 27, 2008, 12:52:33 PM »

Now that I'm getting a better feel for classes and all things OOP I'm finding myself forever tinkering and going over old code and rewriting it using my new found knowledge.  This is a bad thing.

Using my enforced stop/start coding regime it's taken me 3 days to incorporate a new "Range" class that I'd come up with.  It's certainly made the code a lot easier to read and reduced the amount of code in some places considerably, but it's debatable whether you'd actually call it "progress"  BunnyMonkey!

Still, I'm already seeing the benefits and it should, long term, make life a little easier.

And to celebrate, today I'm going to finish adding the Zoo animals that wander the extremities of the screen when they get bored  Kang-a-roo!

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 165 Go Up Print 
Jump to: